FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What's the point of having the bottom dweller cars?

<<

HTower

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:49 pm

What's the point of having the bottom dweller cars?

What's the point of having the bottom dweller cars? The Scott Riggs and Josh Wises of the world.

Riggs has been in 13 races this years, his highest start has been 27. The best he has "finished" is 37th. The most laps he has completed is 29, on March 4th when he completed those 29 laps. Out of 312. These bottom 10 drivers are an embarrassment to the sport.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Re: What's the point of having the bottom dweller cars?

Those drivers you mentioned are good drivers who don't have the opportunity to get in a ride good so they are subjected to being start and parkers.

I don't like it. But I understand it. It is a business model and it gives people jobs. I wish some of these teams would try to run more races though.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Well mark this day on your calendars folks! SS14, I agree with you, for the most part. I really don't like the start and parks but I understand the concept. They are racers and race fans that don't have the money to do what they want to do, race. I can't fault them for that. We're in tough times and sometimes you got to do what you got to do to live. There are only a handful of top teams so someone has to be in the middle and end of the pack. The only time it really bothers me is when a team that can afford to run the whole race is sent home as opposed to one that will only start and then park. That's the monkey in the wrench :(
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:44 pm

It seems to work for ol' "Front Row" Joe Nemechek...19 starts, 17 DNFs and 1.6 million in winnings
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:48 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:It seems to work for ol' "Front Row" Joe Nemechek...19 starts, 17 DNFs and 1.6 million in winnings

Exactly MW. I like Joe and he likes racing, so what is he supposed to do? Kind of funny how a nickname sticks even though he's not so much "front row" anymore. Money is money and people have to eat :)
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 pm

I agree what the others had to say. It's a tough business and the nation is in a tough way itself. One has to do what they can to survive. Now I could survive quite well on $1.2 but he doesn't get that total to take home so by saying $1.2 he has to cut that up in many different ways especially Uncle Sam. I'm sure Dave Blaney would rather have a fully sponsored car and business so he could race like he'd like to. It just happens to be the way the world is right now.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

HTower

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 am

There's just something that rubs me the wrong way about being in the race and not trying to win.
<<

gkbacb

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:21 am

you said it HT, if your not going to put the pedal to the floor, and go for it why bother, and i mean this even for the start and parkers, from lap one till you park get as much as you can out of it, nothing i cant stand more is watching these "bottom dwellers" start a race and then just putz around the track for 5-10 laps and most of time get lapped in that period of time, ridiculous
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:13 pm

personally, id like to see the field go back to 36, with 3 provisional, and use that extra money for the people who wanna run the race, to me it cheapens the sport when someone starts a race and quits after 10 laps... but thats me......
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:07 pm

The money they get paid gets them to the track the next week. A lot of the time they don't run the whole race because they can't afford the tires. They're not going to take a chance on wrecking the car if they can't even put a whole race worth of tires on it. Plus, they put extra thin oils and grease in the engines, drive train and everywhere else they can. If they can't afford tires, or bodywork, they sure as heck can't afford to fix an engine just to satisfy a few fans. Besides, there are plenty of other cars on the track to watch. During the week I'm sure they're beating the bushes for sponsors/associate sponsors for the next week. In trucks, NW and cup you see 1 race sponsors all the time. That's what they're shooting for. But, I wouldn't mind the field being shortened either.
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:14 pm

Never been a fan of start and park,race or go home! :evil:
<<

jamo14

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 pm

at least we can count on them to stay out of the way.
I wish some other drivers were just start and parkers instead
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

Return to NASCAR & Racing