FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR evaluating weather policy:

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 am

NASCAR evaluating weather policy:

NASCAR and Pocono Raceway officials are investigating whether there is a need for emergency reaction policy changes to weather-related events following Sunday's tragedy at the 2.5-mile track. A 41-year-old man was killed and nine others were injured as a result of lightning strikes within minutes of the Sprint Cup race being called for severe weather. The incident raised the question of whether the race should have been called earlier to give the track time to evacuate the stands and everyone enough time to reach the safety of their cars or shelter. NASCAR spokesman David Higdon said NASCAR's attention to severe weather will be on "hyper alert" heading to this week's race at Watkins Glen. "But I will add we're always in that situation," he said. "Nobody had their guard down (at Pocono)." NASCAR doesn't have a hard and fast rule on how to react to severe weather. Higdon said that is left up to the individual tracks, and most don't have rules such as evacuating the track if lightning is within a certain radius of the facility. NASCAR officials made it clear that the safety of the fans in these situations ultimately is the responsibility of the tracks. The dilemma for tracks is they can have the best emergency plan, but the decision on when to stop the race is NASCAR's. As Ed Klima, the director of emergency services at Dover International Raceway, told the Associated Press, "it's very difficult to get people to leave if there's still cars going around the racetrack." The initial severe weather warning was issued to fans at Pocono at 4:12 p.m. NASCAR called the race and declared Jeff Gordon the winner at 4:54 p.m. The lightning strike that took the life of Brian F. Zimmerman of Moosic, Pa., while he was leaning against his car, took place at 5:01 p.m.(ESPN)(8-7-2012)
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: NASCAR evaluating weather policy:

I dont want to sound cruel or uncaring, but.....
I hate knee-jerk reactions to tragedies.
You can give Warnings, but you cant imprison people for their safety. They gave out the storm warnings. You can give out a tornado warning, but doesnt mean you can force people to go in their cellars.

The guy was taking down his tent in a lightning storm. I understand the whole it would never happen to me thoughts (he might have had) I am guilty of that myself at times, but the fact is I dont see where any one did anything wrong. Whether it be pocono or Nascar.
What now? Sue nascar for calling the race to early? hey if they didnt call the race so fast he would still be in the stands & wouldnt have gotten hit by lightning.

It drives me crazy when people over think things as if they can prevent acts of god

The only real way you could have prevented it was to force him to stay inside, & like I said you cant imprison somebody even if it were for their own good.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:07 pm

the one thing i took from it was how nascar was trying to separate themselves from it all, saying its the track responsibility for the fans, which i agree 100%, but if the track tells people to take cover and nascar is still running the race, do you honestly believe that most fans will just up and leave???
i think not....
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:38 pm

michaeljohn wrote:the one thing i took from it was how nascar was trying to separate themselves from it all, saying its the track responsibility for the fans, which i agree 100%, but if the track tells people to take cover and nascar is still running the race, do you honestly believe that most fans will just up and leave???
i think not....

That's the part they need to reevaluate. The cost to attend a race, especially for those who don't live in the area is huge so I don't think the majority of fans would leave if the race wasn't called. I understand that it's NASCAR's place to call the race and the track is responsible for the fans safety, but there probably needs to be better communication between them. Still, it was an accident and something that rarely happens.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to NASCAR & Racing