FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

My theory on plate Qualifying

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm

My theory on plate Qualifying

Way back in the day when the plates were smaller it took almost two laps to get to full speed so it seems. Which is where they started that way high line to get the cars wound up for lap 2. But there have been many plate changes since then & the cars get up to top speed faster. So I was with Jeff Gordon on his method. (using the inside lane) Notice he was still moving forward on the ticker when he finished his lap. The Commentator said it was ok, but maybe Jeff didnt have the fastest car to begin with. So then while watching I noticed other drivers losing ground late in lap 2, when the cars start overheating they lose power which loses speed when they are all taped up.
So my theory is this.

Run the bottom on the warm up lap & Lap one, but go high in three & four on lap one so you get that momentum coming to the line for lap 2. Used the best of both methods. So you are going as fast as you can when you hit the line on lap two then of course hug the bottom on lap two.
Watched Ryan & he had the pole all the way towards the end of the back stretch & then the car faded to 3rd. He went as high as he could on the warm up lap & lap one. Cant help but to think what might have happened if he got through the warm up & lap one faster but still had that speed coming to the line for lap 2. With the difference of a pole or not, measured by thousandths of a second. I just cant help but wonder if the heat slowed him down just that little bit (same for Tony for that matter)

Anyhow that is my new theory on qualifying for a plate race. What do you think?
ImageImageImage
<<

onerockindoc

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: My theory on plate Qualifying

We just finished dinner...I can tell you one thing. Plates don't have to qualify at my house. Ever.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 pm

I have always thought that the best thing to do is run high on the warm and first lap. Then while entering turn four when finishing lap one get down to the bottom.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Personally,i like Jeff Gordons idea of heat races,invert the field and cut the race back to about 100 laps.What i'd also like to add is remove the restrictor plates,change the gear ratio and race back for your lap back instead of the touch football like lucky dog b.s.This has become a candy @ss sport with a bunch of overpaid prima Donnas! Holly crap,did i say what i was thinking,oh well!
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:32 pm

onerockindoc wrote:We just finished dinner...I can tell you one thing. Plates don't have to qualify at my house. Ever.

LMAO doc :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Rochelle wrote:
onerockindoc wrote:We just finished dinner...I can tell you one thing. Plates don't have to qualify at my house. Ever.

LMAO doc :lol: :lol: :lol:

does this mean she eats off the floor oy vie..................
I miss you Frehley........

Return to NASCAR & Racing