Are you serious Bruton Smith?

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 am

Are you serious Bruton Smith?

Bruton Smith wants 'timeouts'
Updated: June 30, 2012, 6:06 PM ET
By Terry Blount | ESPN.com

SPARTA, Ky. -- Speedway Motorsports Inc. chairman Bruton Smith said NASCAR needs to implement mandatory cautions, or race stoppages, to bring more excitement to the races.

"Call it what you want, but you've got to have caution flags," Smith said Saturday before the Sprint Cup race at Kentucky Speedway. "That creates excitement. You can't just sit there with nothing happening. It ruins the event. It's damaging to our sport."

Cautions flags and caution laps are down this year in NASCAR. Many races this season have produced long green-flag runs without a lot of passing up front.

The Nationwide Series race at Kentucky on Friday night had a record 113 consecutive green-flag laps. Austin Dillon led 192 of 200 laps and won by 9.8 seconds.

Some fans have criticized the 1.5-mile ovals such as Kentucky, saying those tracks are the problem. Smith vigorously disagrees.

"In my opinion, we cannot go out and start condemning mile-and-a-half speedways," said Smith, who owns five 1.5-mile oval tracks. "They've been around a long time. I built Charlotte (Motor Speedway) in 1960 and it has stood the test of time.

"So don't tell me it's the speedway. Bull. What we have is a tire problem. We have a lot of different problems, but it's not the mile-and-a-half speedways."

Smith said NASCAR needs to deliberately create more double-file restarts. NASCAR made a rule change in 2009 that moved all the lead-lap cars to the front of the field, double-file, on all restarts after a caution flag.

Those restarts often cause bumping late in races, and sometimes additional accidents.

"One of the great things NASCAR has done is the dual restarts," Smith said. "I look forward to those. We need to see more dual restarts. Three (per race) aren't enough. You need eight or 10 of them."

Smith said he wouldn't mind seeing a pseudo halftime at each race to cause an additional restart.

"If you have one every 20 laps, I don't care," Smith said. "It adds to the show. Someone once said we're in show business. Well, if we're in show business, let's deliver that show. Right now, we're not delivering it.

"Other sports have mandatory timeouts and TV timeouts. All that stuff creates things in those sports. We need to be creative in this sport."

Smith was asked if he has discussed his idea with NASCAR president Mike Helton.

"Maybe I did," Smith said. "Mike is a very good friend of mine and I have a great deal of respect for him. We talk to each other a lot."

NASCAR spokesman David Higdon said Friday: "We are constantly looking at ways to improve the racing. And we have mandatory cautions when we think it's needed at an event."

But those mandatory cautions usually are for safety reasons so teams can check their tires and officials can check track conditions.

Smith wants to see more race stoppages because he feels it would produce more on-track action. He also would like to see speeds reduced.

"I'd be in favor of that," Smith said. "But you have to have the cautions, even if they have to be mandatory. It's a timeout. That's what it's going to take."

SMI recently made major track changes at Bristol Motor Speedway, a high-banked, .533 mile oval, hoping to produce more bumping and banging that many fans loved at that track.

"And I've been promised (by Goodyear officials) a softer tire for Bristol in the August race," Smith said. "We need that, and yeah, we'll have it."

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... rce=JAYSKI

WTF. I got the perfect example of how this makes me feel.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:34 am

Re: Are you serious Bruton Smith?

My next statement is not meant to offend anyone but the 'proper' noun in the sentence!

BRUTON SMITH IS A RETARD!

Wow, that felt good. Could have been a little stronger but I needed to tone it down a bit.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:21 am

Bruton Smith can't be serious. Does he want to change the rules just for his entertainment? Get real Smith. Owning several race tracks should be enough power for you. Oh I forgot. people like him want more power.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:54 pm

If he wants additional restarts, he needs to reimburse the teams for the wrecked cars. Let him put his money where his mouth is! Or better yet, let him run out onto the track and create his own caution. What a freakin' idiot...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:07 pm

Rochelle wrote:If he wants additional restarts, he needs to reimburse the teams for the wrecked cars. Let him put his money where his mouth is! Or better yet, let him run out onto the track and create his own caution. What a freakin' idiot...

exactly what I was thinking.
Nascar doesnt own the equipment being tore up in the name of WWE.
Although it is disturbing him & Nascar keep making changes for the entertainment value, & somewhere they lost the fact, that this is suppose to be about racing!
ImageImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Rochelle wrote:If he wants additional restarts, he needs to reimburse the teams for the wrecked cars. Let him put his money where his mouth is! Or better yet, let him run out onto the track and create his own caution. What a freakin' idiot...

I just love this idea. Some people just can't be believed. "Hey people in the stands should we stir up something to cause a caution"? Lets see who is dumb enough to throw something out a window. Didn't Jeff Gordon do that a time or two? One good way to keep the fans from coming to the track and spend big bucks is to mess around with the rules. They are inconsistant enough.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

futura64

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Kind of funny, this thread reminds me of a race long ago. Ned Jarrett won the 1965 Southern 500 at Darlington by something like 14 laps over the second place car, and no, I don't remember who ran second.
BudmaninTx
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:32 pm

The FIRST mistake BRUTON SMITH made was about 4 years ago.....He F@CKED "Humpy" Wheeler. As soon as "Humpy" was gone, things started going to ####. Races were a party in the infield, life was grand as "Humpy" was almost like a Circus promoter. It was FFFFUUUNNNN to be in the infield when he was in charge of the promotional stuff. Now its just OKAY....BRING BACK "HUMPY" WHEELER 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:44 pm

past is the past MW, let it go, its also good advice when it comes to changing your underwear... just sayin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I miss you Frehley........
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 pm

michaeljohn wrote:past is the past MW, let it go, its also good advice when it comes to changing your underwear... just sayin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is that where the "familiar itch" thing comes in???? :shock: :shock:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:28 pm

u tell me?? u talk about it more than i........ :P
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:18 am

http://www.nascar.com/video/preview/sou ... index.html
Drivers take on what Bruton said. I loved Kevin's answer the best. So true.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 pm

The heat got to him.........he was out in the sun to long. ;)

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:04 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:The FIRST mistake BRUTON SMITH made was about 4 years ago.....He F@CKED "Humpy" Wheeler. As soon as "Humpy" was gone, things started going to ####. Races were a party in the infield, life was grand as "Humpy" was almost like a Circus promoter. It was FFFFUUUNNNN to be in the infield when he was in charge of the promotional stuff. Now its just OKAY....BRING BACK "HUMPY" WHEELER 8-)

Humpy was the best of them all, and that's the fact Jack!
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:14 pm

wolfgang wrote:
midwesternsmoke wrote:The FIRST mistake BRUTON SMITH made was about 4 years ago.....He F@CKED "Humpy" Wheeler. As soon as "Humpy" was gone, things started going to ####. Races were a party in the infield, life was grand as "Humpy" was almost like a Circus promoter. It was FFFFUUUNNNN to be in the infield when he was in charge of the promotional stuff. Now its just OKAY....BRING BACK "HUMPY" WHEELER 8-)

Humpy was the best of them all, and that's the fact Jack!

SS14 doesnt like it when you have firm opinions on here. He would appreciate it if you stayed on the fence with all your opinion. :mrgreen:

(just messing with ya SS)
ImageImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing