FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Big disappointment

<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Big disappointment

Well, yet again my dream of meeting Tony came to a soggy end today. In true classic fashion, NASCAR cancelled the parade laps due to the rain and the Foundation put very little effort into fulfilling the experience any other way. After almost an hour we ended up walking through the garage (no flying through is more like it) the representative thought it was good that we ended up in the pits and standing on the track waiting for pre-race ceremonies. Ok, been there, done that and I certainly didn't need to win an auction to do it. They had zero contingency plans in place and put no effort as far as I'm concerned into any of it. They just blew us off with apology after apology.

Needless to say my heart is broken. I came so close to fulfilling my dream and experiencing something I've wanted to be a part of for so long, and now I'm going to hope I don't come down with pneumonia after tromping through the downpour for over an hour. Do people realize that you do NOT have to be sick with a terminal or life-threatening illness to have hopes, dreams and heroes? I have never had a broken heart before, but mine is certainly broken today.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Big disappointment

I am so sorry! When I saw the rain I knew there would be no drive arounds, but I thought for sure they would at least let you meet him in person. What a bummer. I think you should right a letter to whoever held the auction and at least get your money back. :( :( :(

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:07 pm

The NASCAR Foundation held the auction and was responsible for it. I've already written the letter and it's in the mail. But nothing will come of it. There are no refunds or rainchecks. I just thought they would put a little more effort into it than they did. That was what was disappointing. The fact we were just blown off.

Oh well.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:38 pm

I know how much you looked forward to this...darn the rain. Huge disappointment for sure
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

im4tony

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 pm

I am so sorry for you. I would be heartbroken too.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

tlmerk

Post Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Man, that sucks. Maybe Tony or one of his peeps will read this thread and he'll make it up to you one day... a telephone call or a personal note or something!

I was miffed when I never got my Outback Steak dinner I won in the Be the Boss sweepsteaks. Now, I'm not feeling too bad. How disappointing for you!!
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

TonyRyan

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:05 am

I think that if you wrote to the Tony Stewart Foundation and let them know what Nascar did they might set up a way for you to meet Tony. Tony's mother and sister might be able to schedule a meet and greet since they are the ones who are the heads of his foundation. I would give it a try. Best of luck and I am truly sorry that you got treated the way you did. I was excited for you and couldn't wait to read your post about your great experience with the one and only "SMOKE".
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:32 am

It really has nothing to do with Tony. He donated this time, but he did not plan for it. The NASCAR Foundation did and they are the ones who should be held responsible. We all know how it works, we're just a number to them. They got their money and it's done.

I woke up to a pleasant surprise on facebook this morning. So many people are writing letters on my behalf to the NASCAR Foundation (even though I told them not to) because they know how much this meant to me. I was truly touched. It will do no good,but if it at least makes the Foundation aware that these experiences are very, very important to those of us who don't have an inside line to our heroes, perhaps it will save future participants the severe disappointment that I had to deal with yesterday. I feel like mental and physical road kill this morning. I certainly don't want anyone else to have to deal with it like we did yesterday.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:36 am

Annalee wrote:I am so sorry! When I saw the rain I knew there would be no drive arounds, but I thought for sure they would at least let you meet him in person. What a bummer. I think you should right a letter to whoever held the auction and at least get your money back. :( :( :(

I don't want the money back. The money is going for a good cause that I do still support. This experience was priceless so the money is not what matters. I give all the time without receiving anything in return. This was a first for me to give and to receive something back. The money should stay with the Foundation and that isn't even an issue for me.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 am

What a shame! The Foundation should have had some contingency plan in place. :( :x

Maybe some good will come of all the letter writing. ;) :D Keep us posted.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:20 pm

I feel so sorry for your heartbreak. MLWW I just had to delete what my opinion was on the ending of this auction. It was a rant and you shouldn't have to read it. You can take pride in the fact you did your part. It was the Fondation who didn't think ahead. By rights they should fix this up for the race in August.

I just went to the NASCAR FOUNDATION on facebook and there was no mention of the auction or the fact they had to cancel the prize for the largest donor. Very little was written except for Earnhards win. This was in regard of the Michigan race. I'm disappointed in the way they manage things.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 pm

ndunn wrote:I feel so sorry for your heartbreak. MLWW I just had to delete what my opinion was on the ending of this auction. It was a rant and you shouldn't have to read it. You can take pride in the fact you did your part. It was the Fondation who didn't think ahead. By rights they should fix this up for the race in August.

I just went to the NASCAR FOUNDATION on facebook and there was no mention of the auction or the fact they had to cancel the prize for the largest donor. Very little was written except for Earnhards win. This was in regard of the Michigan race. I'm disappointed in the way they manage things.

That's the funny thing, there is never any mention of these experiences. You would think they would want people to know to raise even more money. It's all just a puzzle to me. But thank you all for your kind words. I knew that if anyone could understand how disappointed I am, those who are fans of Tony's would.
<<

tracy14

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:13 pm

:( Bummer deal
<<

belle1010

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Yep, what a bummer.
"I'd wreck my mom to win a championship. I'd wreck your mom to win a championship." Tony Stewart
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:16 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:What a shame! The Foundation should have had some contingency plan in place. :( :x

This ^^ is your legal leg to stand on - fight for a personal meeting! LOL :-)

Sorry for the rain and your disappointment... but may end up better, if you try. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing