FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

new left side tire, practice added after NW race

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:52 pm

new left side tire, practice added after NW race

Goodyear to change left-side recommendation at Michigan: Based on the higher than expected speeds NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams ran in pre-race practice on the newly repaved Michigan International Speedway, The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company has decided to change its left-side tire recommendation for Sunday's race. In the final Sprint Cup practice on Friday afternoon, #16-Greg Biffle ran an average speed in excess of 204 mph for his fastest lap. For comparison's sake, when Goodyear tested at Michigan in preparation for this race on April 3-4, the fastest average lap speed topped out in the 198-mph range. The higher speeds caused significantly higher left-side tire temperatures, which caused Goodyear to take this step.
The tire code that teams will now run (D-4020) features a tougher tread compound, a different construction and different mold shape than the tire teams ran in practice. The replacement tire was run at Charlotte Motor Speedway after that track was repaved at the end of the 2005 season. This code was run at both races at Charlotte in both 2006 and 2007. When Goodyear decided to bring a new tire to Charlotte for the 2008 season, a quantity of this code was built as part of the back-up plan that Goodyear has in place for every race track on the circuit. Since this tire proved durable and provided an ample amount of grip for the repaved Charlotte surface, it made it a logical choice to be put in place for just this type of situation for the fresh asphalt at Michigan.
Goodyear will ship in enough tires for teams to have 10 sets of tires for the race, which is the original NASCAR set limit for this event. Teams will run their original allotment of right-side tires (D-4528) in Sunday's race. Teams will have additional tires available for a NASCAR-scheduled practice following the Nationwide Series race on Saturday.
"We decided this move was best to provide quality racing here on Sunday," said Greg Stucker, Goodyear's Director of Race Tires. "In collecting data and speaking with drivers and crew chiefs throughout the practice days, we had two choices to make. Our first option was to make the team's race sets available to them before practice on Friday and allow them the chance to 'scuff' them, in order to run them through a heat cycle to increase heat resistance. We did that, but after all the practice sessions ended on Friday, we concluded the safer option was to go to our contingency plan and bring in the 4020s.
"This code has been run before under similar track conditions and we have full confidence that it will give drivers and teams the enough grip to run a great race on Sunday, while doing so in the safest possible manner. Safety is always our No. 1 concern, and by bringing this tire here this weekend, we will accomplish that goal."(Goodyear PR)(6-15-2012)
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:46 pm

Re: new left side tire, practice added after NW race

I'm glad they're doing something about the tires. With the speeds they're running, I can't imagine the carnage that would happen with blown tires. I watched both practices and I couldn't believe the condition of the tires.

Not that it would probably make any difference but I'm guessing they'll use the current tire for qualifying. Hopefully no one will have a problem running only a couple of laps.

Thanks for posting this mj :D
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:07 am

According to the NASCAR website, the additional practice after the NW race will not be televised. :( :( Unless, SPEEDTV adds coverage and preempts their regular schedule.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:24 am

HiddenHollow wrote:According to the NASCAR website, the additional practice after the NW race will not be televised. :( :( Unless, SPEEDTV adds coverage and preempts their regular schedule.

HH, They are covering the "24 hours of LEMAN", so changing that is probably not going to happen.

I think NASCAR is starting to get really worried about the high speeds. I hope they do what is right to slow the cars down, if that is necessary. Sometimes their last minute, knee jerk reactions, are not the best.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:00 pm

It'll probably be on the internet, at least I hope. I'm anxious to see how that new tire affects the cars handling and speeds...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

adny1030

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Speed is showing the 6pm practice. :)
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:50 pm

Qualifying was interesting. Not so much fun for Carl Edwards tho. I suppose if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck at all. Speeds from over 200 miles per hour to 188.216. Wow that is moving............
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:07 pm

They televised the final practice on Speed, some where happy ,some were not. Among those not happy was Tony. The hood on his car was caving in and buffeting as he made his laps. Don't know why it would do that??? Maybe someone can explain that. Jr wasn't happy either, neither was Marcos, but Ryan seemed very happy. Who knows?? Just when I thought my picks were good, now back to the drawing board..... :(

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, Mrs H & I watched tonight's practice on the new tires.

Time to go change my weekly picks. :? :roll:
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:00 pm

the important thing was, tire temps were down, and should be no blistering, plus the harder left tire takes off a lot of stress on the right side tires, i dont put much into practice, unless its 25-30 laps run, those are more realistic, ryan said they ran a few laps so that they didnt put any undo wear on the engine
I will miss you Frehley........

Return to NASCAR & Racing