FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Anyone else worried about the races this weekend?

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Anyone else worried about the races this weekend?

Speeds are 218 entering the corners. And they are just barely lifting in these cup cars. So that means these nationwide cars and ARCA cars are going wide open. They are running like Indycars.

Greg Biffle said today there is a thin line between entertainment and getting someone killed. That made me think about the Las Vegas weekend in Indycar. Drivers and fans had reservations about that race. And it ended with a huge crash that cost Dan Wheldon his life.

I just have this bad feeling for this weekend that it could end very badly. I don't want to see any of these drivers killed. The cot is safe, but there is no such thing as a death proof car.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:22 am

Re: Anyone else worried about the races this weekend?

Yes, I am worried. The only thing is many of the drivers said it really doesn't feel like they are running that fast and the track is smooth in all three grooves so they didn't really have any fear about finding a comfortable spot to run. The problems come with those drivers who have a case of cranial rectumitus and cause accidents. If they race smart, it should be fine. MIS is one of the widest tracks on the circuit with lots of room to race and these guys are the best in the business, right?!

I was talking to a friend of mine as I told her my seat is right at the start/finish line 5 rows up from the track. The first, and I mean very first thing I thought of when I saw the speeds down the front stretch was OMG, I hope the catch fence works. MIS had a fan die when debris from an accident flew into the stands. I certainly don't want the car itself flying into the stands and at those speeds, anything could happen.

That's why I said in my previous post today that my parting comment to Tony on Sunday is probably going to be "stay safe" because I have a ton of nerves about the racing this weekend for all the series.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:32 am

Grip won't be an issue, it wasn't at Vegas either. It is these fast speeds and when these cars are bunched up on restarts. If a wreck happens it is going to be big. Drivers are saying basically to not expect an exciting race though as there is really only one line. Should be interesting to see how everything is in the arca and nationwide race.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:39 am

Per MRN: Not sure if this is what you had read or not...

BROOKLYN, Mich. - NASCAR officials, as well as most drivers, are comfortable with the high speeds being recorded on the newly-paved Michigan International Speedway.

Although top speeds were in excess of 218 mph and average laps just over 201 mph, sanctioning body officials were pleased with the way things progressed during Thursday’s open test session in anticipation of this weekend’s Quicken Loans 400.

NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said the conditions drivers saw during Thursday’s opening sessions of the weekend provided an optimum for high speeds.

“It was nice to see the speed this morning," Pemberton said during Thursday’s test. "Maybe qualifying will get back to there -- maybe. But for the most part it will continue to slow down."

Pemberton believes as more rubber is laid down over the course of the weekend and temperatures continue to rise, the track won’t allow drivers to be as fast as Thursday’s speeds.

“With the cool temperatures (in the 60s) and the track conditions, we’re pretty sure these are the fastest speeds we are going to see at this track,” said Pemberton. “Once the track takes on more rubber and the temperatures go up (temperatures are expected to approach the 90-degree mark this weekend), you should see the speeds go down some.”

Consequently, despite some speculation to the contrary, there are no plans to mount restrictor plates on engines this weekend.

"We're not looking at plates here," said Pemberton. "In general, the speeds will continue to go down."

Pemberton added the average speed numbers being recorded on the two-mile oval are somewhat misleading when put into comparison to other high-speed tracks on the circuit.

"When you look at Daytona and Talladega ... when you run a lap 203 mph your low is 202 and high is 204,” he said. “Here, when you run 200 mph you may be a 215 somewhere, but you're 185 somewhere else. We still feel pretty good."

For the most part, drivers echoed Pemberton’s confidence.

“We wouldn’t be able to run this fast if we didn’t have comfort in the car and there wasn’t a lot of grip,” said Jimmie Johnson. “I still think that we are going to have our traditional repave type of racing. It’s just kind of how it is when you are going this fast.

“The racing lane gets narrower and narrower the faster you go. With these record speeds it’s going to be pretty narrow until the track ages some. I know some guys are searching around a little. I’m hopeful we can find a third or fourth lane out there to run in to have some options. So far I think everything has gone well.”

However, not everyone was in complete harmony about the high speeds being recorded.

Greg Biffle voiced his concerns that safety could indeed become an issue as the weekend progressed.

“I think we are approaching some safety concerns at the speeds we are going,” said Biffle. “I don’t know that we are quite there yet though. The thing you worry about is if a piece breaks on the car, an engine breaks at an inopportune time coming off the corner or getting in the corner.

“We are certainly pushing the envelope and with the extra speed, the wall still isn’t going to move when you get there. It can be somewhat of a concern if the track continues to pick speed up.”
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:33 am

Hey MLWW, this is your big weekend! You have to tell us what you tell him and remember your Picts! Have fun and hang on, you know that "Tony effect"!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 am

I'm sure this will be a white knuckle race for some people and if they have drivers without much experience it could be a problem. Ty Dillion is making his first race at Michigan in a cup car but he has been there before in other vehicles so it should be okay for him. This could be a hot humid day to race and isn't that a good race day for Tony? I sure hope Tony can take MIS by storm and win it big time. But then this is Newman country and he has a chance too.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Annalee wrote:Hey MLWW, this is your big weekend! You have to tell us what you tell him and remember your Picts! Have fun and hang on, you know that "Tony effect"!

Thanks Annalee for remembering. Can you believe I'm starting to get sick? I'm sucking down the vitamin C and everything I can think of to try and hold it off for just a few more days! I'm ready to go! I've been practicing my questions and watching and listening to everything I can with Tony so I shouldn't be shell-shocked.

I also found out that MIS only has 24-parade lap vehicles so usually they double up the drivers. Plus, no one from the Foundation will be riding with me so it will be just myself and the two drivers in the back of the truck. When I first found that out I wanted to hurl. :) Watch for me, you never know! TNT likes the pre-race stuff. I'll have on blue jeans and a black baggy mens style dress shirt. Can't wear shorts or tank tops so I'm going to melt. :)
<<

tracy14

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:27 pm

MLWW....Have fun on your ride with Tony!!!...I will look for you on the parade lap :)
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Ndunn it is actually Austin Dillon racing this weekend. He made his Cup debut last fall at Kansas finishing 26th. He was fairly good in first practice.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Have a great time MLWW!!! (please don't hurl on Tony) ;) :lol:

Remember those pics!! We wanna see 'em!
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:47 pm

MLWW, hey I call that a bonus!! Depending on how well he qualifies and who he ends up next to this could really be exciting! A two for one! ;) ............. Good luck and I hope you feel better!
We'll be looking for you? :lol:

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:03 am

So whoever the other driver is, he can use your camera to take a pic of you & Tony. Then give the camera to Tony & he can take a pic of you and the other driver (unless it's the elf or JPM ;) ).

That way you get a two-fer (or a 3-way) depending on how you want to look at it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:37 am

Smokeshow14 wrote:Ndunn it is actually Austin Dillon racing this weekend. He made his Cup debut last fall at Kansas finishing 26th. He was fairly good in first practice.

Oops I didn't go back and check my info. Sorry!
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.

Return to NASCAR & Racing