FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Logano's ride not so secured after all

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:32 am

Logano's ride not so secured after all

Logano's future still up in the air despite win: #20-Joey Logano delivered many answers in muscling past #55-Mark Martin to win Sunday's Pocono 400. But there was one significant question that is unanswered as the Sprint Cup Series heads to Michigan International Speedway. Where will Logano be driving next season? "I haven't been informed on where I stand for next year yet, so it's all up in the air," he said. "Obviously winning a race means a lot, and it helps that out a ton. For sure right now my future is not set with anybody. To get this win means a lot. It's at a perfect time." Though he is enjoying his best year in NASCAR's premier series, it might not be guaranteed that Logano returns to Joe Gibbs Racing for a fifth season. Pocono was the second victory in a career that has fallen far short of lofty expectations that accompanied his 2009 debut as the youngest driver in Daytona 500 history. Since he saw Logano race against his son in go-karts a decade ago, Martin had been predicting greatness for Logano and named him as the best candidate to replace him at Roush Fenway Racing when Logano was 15. It hasn't turned out that way in Cup. Logano finished 20th in points as a rookie and became the youngest winner in Cup history (at 19) at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in a fluky rain-shortened finish. (Logano was leading because he had crashed and was able to stay purposely off-sequence on pit stops).
Though J.D. Gibbs recently downplayed interest in Kurt Busch, there are other winning drivers who could be available in 2013, such as Matt Kenseth, Ryan Newman and Martin Truex Jr. In a phone interview Monday night, Gibbs told USA TODAY Sports that JGR hoped to settle the future of its #20 Toyota "sooner than later, but at the same time, you can't force things. "We're kind of going through it now," Gibbs said. "(The victory) really helps him, us just in general. (Sponsors) Home Depot and Dollar General get a feel for it. So hopefully we'll be able to get something put to bed here pretty quick. He's been so close before, it's just a long time coming. So hopefully that was a great foundation for our future. When you have those sponsors, you have to perform. Not just on the track, but off the track. Joey is great off the track, and now it's neat to see the on-the-track piece pick up, too."(USA Today)(6-13-2012)
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:43 am

Re: Logano's ride not so secured after all

Honestly....it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Kenseth come to SHR. He's a proven winner and a past Champion....we'll see how the rest of the season shakes out. I gotta agree with WOLFGANG....Joey needs to spend some more time in the NW series before he can be considered a legitimate Cup Series threat. He's still a young guy and has ALOT to learn..... :)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

im4tony

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:08 am

Kenseth would be great at SHR but I would be sorry to see Ryan go. Ryan needs to win a bunch of races. Kenseth could get the job done.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:48 am

not if they keep tony gibson, any driver he teams up with he will suck the life out of them and ruin their career...
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:50 am

I agree with MJ
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:49 pm

I don't see Matt Kenseth leaving Roush. But if he did I think he would fit perfectly in at SHR with Tony. They are already great friends and two champions on one team? That just spells success.

Who is to say if Kenseth came there wouldn't be a complete overhaul of the team? Kenseth is more out spoken about his crew chiefs then most drivers (he requested a few of his crew chief changes). Plus no offense to Newman fans but I think Kenseth could do more in the 39 then Newman. But I don't want Newman to leave. He looks very happy here.

As for Logano now that he has won a legit race there is no reason for him to go back to the nationwide series. I think he can just maintain his point positions and have a few more good runs he should be fine. But if he tails off like Ragan did after his first win then he will be out.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:I don't see Matt Kenseth leaving Roush. But if he did I think he would fit perfectly in at SHR with Tony. They are already great friends and two champions on one team? That just spells success.

Who is to say if Kenseth came there wouldn't be a complete overhaul of the team? Kenseth is more out spoken about his crew chiefs then most drivers (he requested a few of his crew chief changes). Plus no offense to Newman fans but I think Kenseth could do more in the 39 then Newman. But I don't want Newman to leave. He looks very happy here.

As for Logano now that he has won a legit race there is no reason for him to go back to the nationwide series. I think he can just maintain his point positions and have a few more good runs he should be fine. But if he tails off like Ragan did after his first win then he will be out.

Well said!!! The only thing I could add is that sponsorship at Rousch has been really hard to come by. Kenseth would be as good of teammate as Ryan has been. I just don't want to see him go.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:47 pm

michaeljohn wrote:not if they keep tony gibson, any driver he teams up with he will suck the life out of them and ruin their career...

Exactly!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Kenseth couldnt do any better with this current 39 team than ryan. Kenseths strength is his input to the CC & being a smooth driver. Well with TG as the CC that takes away all of Kenseths strengths.

Well with that said I would say if Ryan left, Kenseth would be a good replacement, as Ryan & Kenseth have similar characterisics. They both dont wreck equipment. Which is a good thing for SHR.
BTW I dont think there is anyway Kenseth leaves Roush.

Also I dont think Joey is leaving JGR now either. All I just read is typical statements from people that havent finalized anything yet. PC comments that Admits nothing & says nothing to the media either way. Something Kurt probably should learn.
ImageImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:06 pm

First, I have to say that I love Ryan! But one thing that sticks in my head is what Tony said last year, and I can't quote it exactly, but the essence was that he (Ryan) thinks too much. I do not like Gibson, his indecision and acceptance of "average" is way more than annoying. But, I've heard Ryan make a lot of his own calls for changes to his car during a race. To me, this means he's thinking more of what should be done which takes away from his concentration on driving. As much as I'd like to, I can't place all the blame on TG (or tuna as mj so affectionately calls him :D ). Don't take me wrong, Ryan is one of my most favorite people, but his whole team is short on performance. Yes, he can drive, but so can many of the other drivers in the Cup series. There are a lot of drivers I like and dislike, I think it's a personal thing. Sometimes you identify with a driver and some just irritate the crap out of you. I do think Ryan needs a change in crew chiefs, but I think his sense of loyalty is getting in the way of his best interests. He needs to accept and address the situation with Tony. I don't care what anyone else thinks, Tony would like nothing better than to have two winning teams. After all, he's the owner of Ryan's team and the better Ryan does, the more money Tony makes. He's the ultimate competitor and I believe that if Ryan was winning, Tony would step up his game due to the competition factor. Until Ryan accepts the fact that he needs a better crew chief, nothing will change.

As always, this is my opinion and I'm by no means an expert...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:58 pm

Kenseth is the best of doing more with less. Only Smoke and Kyle Busch come close. There is a reason he is a champion.

I honestly think Kenseth stays where he is, Logano stays where he is and Newman stays where he is. Neither want to leave their teams, the car owners want them to stay. Only thing is sponsorship (securing for Kenseth and Newman and convincing to stick with him for Logano).
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Rochelle wrote:First, I have to say that I love Ryan! But one thing that sticks in my head is what Tony said last year, and I can't quote it exactly, but the essence was that he (Ryan) thinks too much. I do not like Gibson, his indecision and acceptance of "average" is way more than annoying. But, I've heard Ryan make a lot of his own calls for changes to his car during a race. To me, this means he's thinking more of what should be done which takes away from his concentration on driving. As much as I'd like to, I can't place all the blame on TG (or tuna as mj so affectionately calls him :D ). Don't take me wrong, Ryan is one of my most favorite people, but his whole team is short on performance. Yes, he can drive, but so can many of the other drivers in the Cup series. There are a lot of drivers I like and dislike, I think it's a personal thing. Sometimes you identify with a driver and some just irritate the crap out of you. I do think Ryan needs a change in crew chiefs, but I think his sense of loyalty is getting in the way of his best interests. He needs to accept and address the situation with Tony. I don't care what anyone else thinks, Tony would like nothing better than to have two winning teams. After all, he's the owner of Ryan's team and the better Ryan does, the more money Tony makes. He's the ultimate competitor and I believe that if Ryan was winning, Tony would step up his game due to the competition factor. Until Ryan accepts the fact that he needs a better crew chief, nothing will change.

As always, this is my opinion and I'm by no means an expert...

rochelle obviously we do not know what goes on behind the doors at SHR, is ryan that loyal, does the tuna have people fooled into thinking he knows the deal, we dont know we can guess, but if they sat ryan down and the powers to be said its either you or tuna, what will it be? at the end of the day, i dont think it should be ryans choice who is CC is, because they are not setting the world on fire, so he loses that right, look how roush changes up CC's or takes chances on someone in house to be a first time CC, to me the 39 team is content with mediocrity, unless someone can show me different, thats how i see it..

as always my opnions are to incite and enrage people and make them pull their hair out, have a nice day :)
I will miss you Frehley........

Return to NASCAR & Racing