FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Johnson named most influential athlete

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:27 am

Johnson named most influential athlete

i only posted this story because i think it is awesome that a nascar driver won this poll, of all the athletes 2 of the top 10 were nascar drivers, whether you agree or disagree with the results, this is a plus for nascar, it means nascar is becoming widely accepted as a sport and the drivers are being considered athletes...

From the year of the NASCAR driver to the year of the quarterback. Last year three drivers from the NASCAR circuit made [the Forbes] list of America's Most Influential Athletes, led by perennial Sprint Cup Series champ #48-Jimmie Johnson. NASCAR hasn't exactly faded. Johnson, whose talent and guy-next-door demeanor endears him to fans, as well as to marketing chiefs of brands like Chevrolet, Quaker State and Lowe's, repeats as America's most influential athlete, based on public opinion polling. But fellow drivers #88-Dale Earnhardt, Jr. (down from #3 to #7) and #24-Jeff Gordon (off the list this year) didn't keep up, making way for newcomers like Jeremy Lin and Manny Pacquaio, and for the rise of several pro quarterbacks. This year, six of the 10 most influential athletes are NFL signal callers, with both Manning brothers now in the fold. In second place is Tim Tebow, who shot up from #10 last year after claiming the Denver Broncos' starting job and igniting "Tebowmania" across the country. Chalk it up to the dominance of pro football on television. Not many shows can match the 30 million viewers that the NFL gets for a playoff game, let alone the 100 million or so who tune in for the Super Bowl. Nielsen and E-Poll surveyed over 1,100 adults about dozens of well-known athletes to measure their likeability and whether they're considered "influential," an important quality for marketers. Candidates were limited to pro athletes who are currently active and who score at least 20% "awareness" with the general public.(Forbes)(4-25-2012)
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Re: Johnson named most influential athlete

That is a little surprising that he would still be number one. He has been the most dominant athlete of recent years that is for sure. At least he beat Tim Tebow. Surprised that Tony didn't make the list.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:42 pm

i was really surprised too, maybe next year he will be on it, when he defends his tittle and is introduced more as the current champ, they only polled 1000 some people, now if it was a wide spread poll, i have a feeling Jr would win, because his fans, not because of what he has or has not done recently.
<<

tlmerk

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:13 pm

Actually I am surprised by this. Not that he doesn't deserve the recognition for what he has accomplished but the title INFLUENTIAL just doesn't fit JJ IMO. He's not particularly outspoken and what the influence he is having is unknown to me, except maybe that it is possible to dominate in a sport? I just don't hear him talk about any other issues or do things in his life that would be classified as influential. Look at the influence, in contrast, Tebow has had on many people. My son now does the Tebow kneel-down when he takes pix or when he plays football. At least Tebow has made being a "Christian" a "cool thing" for some kids which to me fits the category of "influential athlete." Whether you embrace Christianity or think it's a waste of time, at least I "understand" that kind of influence. I don't really understand how JJ has been more influential than that.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:34 pm

i look at from this perspective, forbes magazine is a business magazine and maybe they are looking at from the business side, because he does have a lot of big sponsors and some of those sponsors have been with him since day one, also what he has done on the track is very impressive,

as far tebow, he is a great man, i cant say nothing bad about him, but that whole tebowing had a life of it own, and what he did on the field was impressive, i dont know if religion has anything to do with this poll, but thats me, it would be interesting to see what forbes based it all on, and maybe later when i have more time, i will look into how this all came about.
<<

smokinTA

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Tony has already been on the cover of Forbes Magazine and for more than just being an athelete. Forbes Magazine has interviewed Tony many times. Just google it. 3 examples include: On the cover March 24, 2010, interview Aug 3., 2010 and again in Nov. 23, 2011 which is included in an annual hard cover edition. 8-)
"Excuse me, pardon me, comin' through" ~ Tony Stewart
"Take a deep breath, I've got this" ~ Tony Stewart
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Tony also owns 12 companies, 2 or 3 racetracks, and multiple racing teams. I am not sure that JJ owns anything comparable to what Tony has done. If he owns a company, racetrack or another racing team, I am not aware of it?.? Maybe MJ can tell us. ;)
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:13 pm

good for him, any driver getting publicity on non racing magazines is a plus for nascar

Return to NASCAR & Racing