FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Vickers to drive for MWR- What are they thinkin!?!?

<<

Annalee

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:28 pm

Vickers to drive for MWR- What are they thinkin!?!?

UPDATE 2: Elliott Sadler's plans to substitute for Mark Martin behind the wheel of the #55 Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series may have been a bit premature. Sadler, who won the Nationwide Series race Saturday for Richard Childress Racing, was hoping to pilot the Aaron's Toyota for five races that Martin has elected to skip, starting with the race at Bristol Motor Speedway on March 18. But multiple sources told FOXSports.com the deal blew up Saturday night, shortly after it was announced via a press release. While talks had been in the works for a couple of months, the manufacturer conflict for Sadler, who drives Chevys full time for RCR in the Nationwide Series, appears to have squashed the arrangement. With most rosters set for 2012, don't be surprised to see former Toyota driver Brian Vickers run the five races in place of Martin.(Fox Sports)(3-4-2012)
UPDATE 3: On Saturday, Michael Waltrip Racing announced that Elliott Sadler would drive the #55 MWR NASCAR Sprint Cup car for five races this season. But Monday afternoon, Sadler told SPEED.com that the deal was off. Richard Childress, Sadler's car owner in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and a longtime Chevy loyalist, told Sadler after his victory in the Bashas's Supermarkets 200 at Phoenix International Raceway that he didn't want Sadler in Waltrip's Toyota. "I was going to drive the 55 car for five races for MWR, but actually, after the race on Saturday, after Victory Lane, Richard and I went to his bus," Sadler told SPEED.com. "And I think Richard, along with some of the executives that he has, have just decided that it's probably not in our best interest to do that right now."(SPEED)(3-5-2012)

If this is true, everyone better strengthen their bumpers especially Matt Kenseth and Tony! I don't know who is worse Montoya or Vickers! They are" like Bulls in a china shop" !! Mark stay in the car, you can retire next year. :roll:

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Re: Vickers to drive for MWR- What are they thinkin!?!?

I would take Vickers over Sadler all day everyday personally. Plus his connection to Toyota probably doesnt hurt him either.
ImageImageImage
<<

Lizard

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Let me help MWR out with some ideas of drivers they could get to fill the seat other than Vickers:

Mike Bliss
Joe Nemechek
Johnny Sauter
Kenny Wallace
Todd Bodine
Travis Kvapil
Jason Leffler
Matt Crafton

Sorry I just think that any of the above could do as well or better than Vickers and probably not tear up the field like Vickers will.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

Lizard

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:52 pm

Oh and did I mention that they all already drive for Toyota.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:I would take Vickers over Sadler all day everyday personally. Plus his connection to Toyota probably doesnt hurt him either.

Vickers over Sadler? Really? Lets compare stats.

Elliott Sadler
Races

Average Finish

Wins

Average Start

Top 5 Finishes

Total Laps Led

Top 10 Finishes

Total Laps

Top 20 Finishes

% of Laps

93.90%

Poles

DNF's

Best points finish: 9th

Brian Vickers:
Races

Average Finish

Wins

Average Start

Top 5 Finishes

Total Laps Led

Top 10 Finishes

Total Laps

Top 20 Finishes

% of Laps

92.92%

Poles

DNF's

Best points finish: 12th.

So Sadler has more wins, and a higher points finish, but they are simillar in stats overall. Plus Sadler has respect for his compettiors while Vickers showed last year that he does not. Sadler is a good driver but screwed himself over when he dipped on Yates when they were struggling and when to the 19. But because of his humility and respect he at least has a full time nationwide deal while Vickers has nothing. Vickers is good too, but he is a douchbag and always will be one. And I don't even think Elliott is that good of a person from what I've heard from people who know him well, but better than Vickers.

Oh and they should give Justin Allgaier a shot. He drives a Chevy too but he isn't affilated with a cup team.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 am

If I was an owner I would go with the talent. When was Sadlers last win or when was he last significant in cup for that matter?
I agree Vickers didnt portray himself well last year. 1st year back from missing a year due to bloodclots. However the year before he did well enough to knock Kyle Busch out of the chase & put himself in the chase. I simply believe Vickers talent level in a race car is superior to Sadlers. So yes, after looking at your stats, I still believe I would take Vickers over Sadler all day everyday. Sadler had to sue to stay in cup as long as he did.
BTW I do agree I might look for a young gun from the Busch series, but with Manufacturers politics nowadays. This might be more difficult then we think.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:12 am

id take vickers any day over sadler, true last year wasnt a good year and people like to lump him in the same category as JPM which is total b.s.

what vickers went through personally take a lot out of a person, i know this, because i deal with it everyday, i have had 11 operations to fix the problem he has, so maybe his head wasnt where it should have been,

besides talk about crashes, what did sadler do in the 500 on the 2nd lap????
I miss you Frehley........
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:00 pm

...the only problem with Vickers is he hasn't learned how to "retaliate" without completely destroying his own shizz... ;)
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:If I was an owner I would go with the talent. When was Sadlers last win or when was he last significant in cup for that matter?
I agree Vickers didnt portray himself well last year. 1st year back from missing a year due to bloodclots. However the year before he did well enough to knock Kyle Busch out of the chase & put himself in the chase. I simply believe Vickers talent level in a race car is superior to Sadlers. So yes, after looking at your stats, I still believe I would take Vickers over Sadler all day everyday. Sadler had to sue to stay in cup as long as he did.
BTW I do agree I might look for a young gun from the Busch series, but with Manufacturers politics nowadays. This might be more difficult then we think.

Schmoopy, Elliot just won Phoenix in the Nationwide last Saturday. :roll: The difference between Sadler and Vickers, is that when Elliot wrecks, it is a mistake and he apologizes, when Vickers wrecks he means to wreck and retaliates, and never apologizes. I think it says a lot that no one picked him up to drive for their team. He was completely left out in silly season. In this economy the supply and demand for teams is a critical part of the deal. Who wants to pay for some hot head wrecking their equipment, and never winning. Vickers took out two of his team mates, Johnson and Junior, to get his win. Not a team player, or a sponsor darling! No respect from other cup drivers! Can you tell, I am not a Vickers fan........ :x

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Vickers having blood colots is no excuse for his behavior. My dad had blood clots in his brain and he didn't becme to world's biggest ahole. That is why he was passed over by teams for drivers like David Ragan, Landon Cassil (who has potential), David Reuitmann, JJ Yeley, Travis Kvapil among others. No owner wants him.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:51 pm

nobody said it was an excuse, but it takes a lot out of ya mentally and maybe he needed more time for himself to get his head straight,
if we are goin by records, he is a NW champ, sadler isnt,
btw he was on JJ's teammate, jr was driving for TEI,

people are acting like vickers is the only one who took someone out, Dale Sr did it all the time, every driver does it................
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:26 pm

I dont compare driving one of the best cars in NW series to driving a cup car. I leave that to the Kyle Busch fans. Sadler is driving a KHI car (aka RCR) who KHI cars & JGR cars are by far the best in the NW series. Also as a note. My understanding is Vickers has been offered rides, he turned them down. I can acknowledge you not liking Vickers, & that being a main reason you wouldnt hire him. My opinion is just different from yours, because I believe he is a way better talent than Sadler. If MWR had a chance at Kurt, I think they would take it in a heartbeat, & you cant get no bigger of an a-hole than kurt in the cup series. Like I said he had a bad year, & primarily being portrayed the way he is over one race realistically. All drivers retaliate wwhen dumped & Kenseth dumped him. Also when Tony dumped him, tony was a 100% in the wrong. That is just tonys short temper we seem at Sears Point. Vickers isnt someone I care for, but I will acknowledge his talent over those others sitting out there without a ride.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Vickers probably turned down start and park rides (which he should). The difference between Kurt and Brian? Kurt is a champion with 23 wins. Mr. two career wins where one was when he spun out his teammate and Jr, and one was when his former teammate ran out of fuel. Vickers is a good driver and he understands these cars really well, but it isn't like he is so good that owners will give him the chances Kurt Busch will get. What happened at Sonoma was an interesting situation. Sure Tony wrecked him, but many weren't impesse with Vickers attitude and response towards Tony. Espically since Vickers was still on the lead lap so he took himself out in that deal too. Kurt Busch for the most part respct his compettiors on track too. There are few drivers as good as Kurt, there are good bit of drivers as good or better than Vickers. And Elliott still has to drive the car. What did Jon es Townley do in RCR cars get a few top 15s? He beat BK in a heads up battle. Many people inculding Ray Evernham believe if Elliott was in the right cars in cup he'd be just as good as Jimmie Johnson. Idk about that but he was a consistent contender in the 38 car.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:Vickers probably turned down start and park rides (which he should). The difference between Kurt and Brian? Kurt is a champion with 23 win. Mr. two career wins where one was when he spun out his teammate and Jr, and one was when his former teammate ran out of fuel. Vickers is a good driver and he understands these cars really well, but it isn't like he is so good that owners will give him the chances Kurt Busch will get. Kurt Busch for the most part respct his compettiors on track too.

well I agree. He wont get the same chances aas Kurt. Kurt is a better talent than Vickers. Vickers is a better talent than Sadler. Point being, what you just said makes my point.

Kurt bigger A-hole than Vickers but Kurt will get better chances because he is a better talent.
Vickers maybe a bigger A-hole than Sadler, but is a better talent than Sadler.
& keep in mind in this case we are talking 5 races, not an entire season. If you ask me as an owner for one race who do you want? The nicer guy or the more talented guy, guess what I would choose.

Off this subject & onto the same subject but different. I wonder if they will consider Scott Speed or that other RC guy from last year for the two RC races. (think the guys name started with Jan or something like that) I would recognize the name if I see it. MWR still hasnt committed to any drivers for the RC races this year. Scott Speed also raced for toyota last year & does decent on RCs.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:28 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
Smokeshow14 wrote:Vickers probably turned down start and park rides (which he should). The difference between Kurt and Brian? Kurt is a champion with 23 win. Mr. two career wins where one was when he spun out his teammate and Jr, and one was when his former teammate ran out of fuel. Vickers is a good driver and he understands these cars really well, but it isn't like he is so good that owners will give him the chances Kurt Busch will get. Kurt Busch for the most part respct his compettiors on track too.

well I agree. He wont get the same chances aas Kurt. Kurt is a better talent than Vickers. Vickers is a better talent than Sadler. Point being, what you just said makes my point.

Kurt bigger A-hole than Vickers but Kurt will get better chances because he is a better talent.
Vickers maybe a bigger A-hole than Sadler, but is a better talent than Sadler.
& keep in mind in this case we are talking 5 races, not an entire season. If you ask me as an owner for one race who do you want? The nicer guy or the more talented guy, guess what I would choose.

Off this subject & onto the same subject but different. I wonder if they will consider Scott Speed or that other RC guy from last year for the two RC races. (think the guys name started with Jan or something like that) I would recognize the name if I see it. MWR still hasnt committed to any drivers for the RC races this year. Scott Speed also raced for toyota last year & does decent on RCs.

What facts say Vickers is better than Sadler? Their stas are similar and Sadler has a higher career points finish. They both have experienced seasons without a top five, and remember in 2007 with the new RBR team when Vickers missed plenty of races? Though Vickers does have nw title, but Sadler has more wins and is one of 23 drivers to win in all three series. I would choose the guy that is easier to work with. That is why Sadler is with RCR. Vickers and Sadler to me and more of the same. Did Sadler really stand a chance at RPM to succeed? Nope.

Scott Speed has a ride with 95 part time. He has race for MWR in the nationwide series and with success, Mikey loves him as he is the reason Mikey was in the 2010 Daytona 500. It would depend if the races that need to be filled conflict with the 16 races he is going to attempting. And do you mean Jan Magnessn? He raced the Finch car at Infineon in 2010. He did well he is a great road racer.
Last edited by Smokeshow14 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Dan Wheldon
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing