FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Crashes Daytona 500 Practice

<<

Annalee

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Tony Crashes Daytona 500 Practice

Once again racer 1, unless you know what you are talking about, it is best not to say anything! Bob Jefferies is the one of the best spotters in the garage! You need to go to NASCAR.com/track pass/ scanner, purchase it and listen, before you comment on something again you know nothing about! They are always together, as far as I am concerned there isn't anyone better than Robert. He was Dale Jarretts spotter, hope you know who he is! :roll:
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:48 am

What else are they gonna say and for sure they know Tony didn't mean it and they know they could very well cause the next one.Drivers like to push it to the limit to see just what they can get out of what they have,least in my opinion the better ones.Tony is one off the better ones,but it's not because it's restrictor plate racing anymore than the reasoning behind Bristol and the wrecks there,mistakes are made by even the best.God knows when Dale Snr. was racing,i never heard the end of it intentional or otherwise from the fans who didn't care for his aggressive driving style and in my opinion,he was the best.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:00 am

I get what your saying. But Plate racing is not like racing at Bristol AT ALL. Bristol is real racing. Plate racing is manurfactured. Racing incidents that happen at Daytona and Talladega are always different then when they occur somewhere else.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

tonysgirl14

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:03 am

NO WORRIES Tony will do good in the race.
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:22 am

Not to get involved in this all I want to know is why can't they talk to each other? When did the uper level of management make this mindless rule? It's only practice so what is the deal? I haven't been on Jayski to get all the what for's and why's for the 2012 season. I guess I've watched to many profiles of the Hall of Famers when there wasn't any rules and "Joe Slick" got away with whatever. Speaking of getting away with "Stuff" Chad was born about 50 years to late to be very creative.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

racer1

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:36 am

"Once again racer 1, unless you know what you are talking about, it is best not to say anything! Bob Jefferies is the one of the best spotters in the garage! --------------------------------------------------------------------"

How long you been pretending to watch Nascar yet havent learned anything? Spotters have a serious job to do, that is unless they're too busy NOT watching close enough and wrecks like this happen. A blind man could've seen this wreck coming--end of story. With driver to driver communication now gone its been reported everywhere that the spotters are more critical then ever to watch for problems and warn the drivers.

Now--if the spotter was yelling at him to watch out etc and Tony ignored him, then thats a different story but Iam sure all the media would've picked up on his spotter trying to warn him IF he had as they usually pick up on everything with a wreck. Nothing was mentioned about Tonys spotter saying anything, just that Tony cant hear the 51 spotter--duh no kiding.. 8-)
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:09 pm

Instead of listening to those of us know what we are talking about ,I am just going to choose to ignore you and hope you go away? :roll:
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:18 pm

racer1 wrote:It was Tonys spotters fault as the spotter is supposed to watch the field and tell the driver whats ahead of them etc, esp now that drivers cant talk to each other to warn them when in tandem. The spotter should have saw them pushing and coming up on the other car fast where the car being pushed was going to have to go high around it and Tony could have backed off as he cant see that pushing.. Apparently the spotter was sleeping. Its tough to have a good spotter as Ive heard lots of blame put on them for wrecks that should have been avoided and this was another one. My thoughts anyway. 8-)

I understand that the above is your opinion and thoughts ....and anyone's opinions and thoughts are allowed. :-)

However,,, just thought I'd pull Bob out from under the bus that you threw him under and continue to. Perhaps hearing from Tony himself will clear up any blame?

Link - http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/6 ... at-daytona

Stewart causes crash in Shootout practice at Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. Defending Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart caused the first accident of Speedweeks.

Stewart, who did little wrong in last year’s season finale and clinched his third NASCAR title, rear-ended Kurt Busch during practice Friday for the exhibition Budweiser Shootout.

Stewart turned Busch’s No. 51 Chevrolet sideways, collecting four others.

Penske Racing teammates Brad Keselowski and A.J. Allmendinger, as well as Kyle Busch and Jeff Gordon, were also involved in the six-car accident about 45 minutes into the first practice session.

“I was pushing the 51 car and he had to move a little bit, but I’m still the one pushing so I’m responsible for it,” said Stewart, who was transported to the infield care centre, treated and released.

The cars of Stewart, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch, Keselowski and Allmendinger sustained significant damage. Stewart’s crew decided to fix his car. The other four teams switched to backup cars.

Gordon’s car sustained minor damage.

The Budweiser Shootout, a non-points race, kicks off the 2012 season Saturday night. It’s considered a warm-up event for the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 26, the series’ premier event.

“It’s the first time that we get back on the track and everybody is aggressive, learning what the limits are,” Keselowski said. “Sometimes you get caught up in that … It’s better to do it now than next Sunday. So hopefully, we’ll learn something from it and be good to go.”

Defending Daytona 500 winner Trevor Bayne went for a spin in the sand Friday morning, driving his race car down a stretch of Daytona Beach in a salute to NASCAR’s roots.

“This is probably the coolest thing I’ve gotten to do outside of racing on other tracks,” said Bayne, who became the Daytona 500’s youngest winner last year at the age of 20. “I wish we could come back out here and get the groove rutted up a little bit and try to miss the potholes. This is an unbelievable feeling being on the beach where it all started.”

Before moving to Daytona International Speedway in 1959, NASCAR raced on a temporary track running partly on the beach and partly on an adjacent road from 1948 to 1958. Today, passenger cars are still allowed to drive on the beach.

Bob Osborne, the crew chief for Carl Edwards, will be away from the No. 99 team this weekend after the death of his father. He is expected to return to the team next week to prepare for the Daytona 500.

Chip Bolin will fill in for Osborne. Bolin is the head engineer for Roush Fenway Racing and previously worked as Matt Kenseth’s Sprint Cup crew chief.

Edwards is making his sixth Budweiser Shootout start Saturday night. He has led 54 laps in his previous five starts, his best finish is seventh in 2009.

NASCAR has entered a multiyear agreement with FanVision to rent and sell hand-held multimedia devices for use at racetracks.

The controller has a 4.3-inch screen with access to live broadcast feeds, eight on-board cameras, official timing, data, statistics, instant replays and a digital radio scanner. It rents for $49.99 per weekend when ordered online and $59.99 per weekend when rented at the track. It can be purchased for $299.

Fans will no longer be able to rent, purchase or activate a previous multimedia device used at racetracks, called FanView. Owners of the previous device may be eligible for a credit toward the purchase of a new FanVision controller.

- - - - - - -

Check out the last 3 paragraphs....the sport is changing again....
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:44 pm

racer1 wrote:"Once again racer 1, unless you know what you are talking about, it is best not to say anything! Bob Jefferies is the one of the best spotters in the garage! --------------------------------------------------------------------"

How long you been pretending to watch Nascar yet havent learned anything? Spotters have a serious job to do, that is unless they're too busy NOT watching close enough and wrecks like this happen. A blind man could've seen this wreck coming--end of story. With driver to driver communication now gone its been reported everywhere that the spotters are more critical then ever to watch for problems and warn the drivers.

Now--if the spotter was yelling at him to watch out etc and Tony ignored him, then thats a different story but Iam sure all the media would've picked up on his spotter trying to warn him IF he had as they usually pick up on everything with a wreck. Nothing was mentioned about Tonys spotter saying anything, just that Tony cant hear the 51 spotter--duh no kiding.. 8-)

So I guess Tony cant use the excuse he couldnt see ahead of him then, according to your statement LOL
Sorry had to make a funny about your comments. You are good for my health, so I thank you! (they say laughter is good for the soul as well)
On a serious note. Is this your 1st year watching tandem racing? (a serious question since you did say you just came over from open wheel) Now you ae telling us how to be a spotter?
I actually commend Tony for taking upon his shoulders. There is a reason Tony doesnt want to push Ryan in tandem. He always wrecks him. The driver needs to go with the guy in front of him or realease the bumper. the back guy cant hold his line if the front guy moves. In fairness to Tony, these are small mistakes, that happen very quickly. The mistake was still his, but when it is called a racing deal, you really cant argue with that either. A product of this type of racing. However these moves are made a ton of times in a race last year without spinning out the guy in front. So again I agree it is a racing deal & agree that it was Tony's fault. Dont think it was something any drivers can get mad at though. It is gonna happen in a race when the margin for error is so minute.
However I have to highly disagree about throwing the spotter under the bus on this one. No offense. (nor throwing Truex under the bus, for any that actually believed a word Larry Mac tried to say)
ImageImageImage
Previous

Return to NASCAR & Racing