FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Landon Cassill Gets Seat With New Team

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Landon Cassill Gets Seat With New Team

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Landon Cassill has a job for the Daytona 500 for the first time in his career.

Cassill said Thursday he’s been hired to drive for a team that purchased assets and last year’s points from the now defunct Red Bull Racing team. Cassill will drive the No. 83 Toyota, he said, and the points Brian Vickers earned in that car last year guarantee Cassill a spot in the first five races of the season.

Cassill said he has a deal with the new team to drive all year.

“It’s my first time going into a NASCAR season with a signed deal knowing I’m going to be in the car every week,” Cassill said. “It’s my first time attempting the Daytona 500—wait, I am locked into the Daytona 500. That’s a pretty big dream came true.”

Doug Richert will be the crew chief for the No. 83 team, which is being fielded by investors who had previously backed TRG Motorsports. Cassill said the owners will announce the team name and sponsorship in the coming days.

Cassill has been working the NASCAR garages since he was 17, and five years later, his search for something steady has finally ended. He’s made 33 starts in the second-tier Nationwide Series since 2007, and has made 48 Sprint Cup Series starts over the last two seasons. His best finish was 12th at Michigan last season while driving for Phoenix Racing.

Cassill was originally planning to drive a start-and-park car for Front Row Motorsports when the opportunity with this new team was offered to him. Front Row had given him a clause to leave the team if he found a full-time ride.

The opportunity was created when this new team was able to complete a transaction with energy drink company Red Bull, which pulled out of NASCAR after five seasons. The team fielded two cars last year, Kasey Kahne ended the year 14th in the standings, and Brian Vickers was 25th.

The new team now owns the points for both entries, and could field a second car alongside Cassill in the Feb. 26 season-opening Daytona 500.

Former TRG general manager Harry McMullen will have the same role with the new team. The team is working out of Randy Moss Motorsports shop in Statesville, N.C., and will get its engines from Triad.

“I’ve got a lot of faith in this deal. These guys want to get to the race track, want to do it right, pay their bills and they really want to have a good reputation,” Cassill said. “They want to race and they want to do it right. They got away from that (at TRG) and have moved on and created a pretty neat opportunity.”

TRG Motorsports ran three seasons in NASCAR, but was forced to start-and-park at times. TRG shut down its Sprint Cup team this winter, and owner Kevin Buckler is not involved in this new team.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

jsw14

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Landon Cassill Gets Seat With New Team

Good for Landon :D Hope he does well 8-)
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:33 pm

Maybe this is what Mike Ford has been waiting for??....Doug Richert is a good grew chief and Ford would be a good complement to him. 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Oh MW, I hope not for Schmoopy's sake. That would be another one gone from his crew chief pool. :( . So happy for Landon Cassill, he deserves a good ride. I think this is where the Burger King sponsorship went. Aren't some of the investors owners of Burger King franchises?
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

futura64

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 pm

Why isn't anybody on here raising #### about Landon getting a "free ride" into the Daytona 500 based on points he didn't earn? Huh?
BudmaninTx
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:02 pm

futura64 wrote:Why isn't anybody on here raising #### about Landon getting a "free ride" into the Daytona 500 based on points he didn't earn? Huh?

Hey, if NASCAR's points swapping system is good enough for Danica... :mrgreen: Just sayin'
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

racer1

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:52 pm

"Why isn't anybody on here raising #### about Landon getting a "free ride" into the Daytona 500 based on points he didn't earn? Huh?"

Ive already stated that while I know its a Nascar rule and been going on for some time--I DONT like it--end of story. Now if all the negative and nasty writers want to be fair, lets see them jump on this Cassill point buying deal as well, but most probably wont as it wouldnt get them anywhere near the attention like a trashing Danica story does--Too bad for that.. :roll:
<<

jamo14

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:50 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:59 pm

as i always say, just because you have access to the internet, does not mean it is a good idea to use it. that sob cassill got a free ride like that sob danica, happy racer???
<<

racer1

Post Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm

"that sob cassill got a free ride like that sob danica, happy racer???"

Exactly right-- but now if some writer would put that in writing in that same negative light it would matter alot more but they wont, because NO-one cares about Cassill--hence my point.

The only real driver who will draw critical attention by the media and the GP in NNS is Danica and they (ignorant writers and media people) will all look for the bad to write/talk about, where at least in her few Cup races there are plenty of popular drivers to write negative things about and get the attention, so we would hope she wont be quite the focus on that side--but apparently she is--good grief. 8-)
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:52 pm

Great for Landon he is a good kid and has talent. If this team can get going he could show his skills more often.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:00 pm

Didnt Landon leave his team late last year, because he didnt want to start & park or something like that? Then the team got another driver & ended up running the whole race. The offical reason for Landon leaving was personal reasons it said. Or am I mixing teams & drivers in my memory? I am pretty sure that was him.
ImageImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing