FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Talent is No longer Enough in Sports

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:24 am

Talent is No longer Enough in Sports

By Hartley Henderson - Exclusive to OSGA
Dec 11, 2011, 11:35

There was a time when a bad attitude or negative actions by athletes off the field were overlooked if the player had talent. From Ty Cobb to Jim Brown to Dale Earnhardt Sr. fans, sponsors and owners just accepted their questionable actions as a cost of doing business. However, times have changed. Last weekend Kurt Busch was fired from team Penske after raging into an oath filled tirade when a reporter asked him a question about an incident with Tony Stewart. Busch said that the 2 mutually agreed to part ways but everyone close to the incident said that Penske said he just had enough and told Kurt he was no longer needed. Busch has 24 wins in his career including two in 2011 as well as a Sprint Cup championship but Penske decided that talent wasn’t enough to warrant keeping him on. Kurt’s brother, Kyle Busch found himself suspended for a full weekend 2 weeks prior after purposely spinning out Ron Hornaday in a Craftsman Truck race and his sponsor M&Ms told owner Joe Gibbs they didn’t want to be associated with him for the remainder of the year. Gibbs apparently even considered letting Busch go but decided to keep him on, though on a short leash. Interstate Batteries sponsored the car instead for those races and M&Ms has signed on with Kyle for part of 2012 but they warned Gibbs that if Busch’s attitude didn’t improve they were going to leave him.

Of course it’s not just NASCAR where this is being displayed. In golf, Tiger Woods lost most of his sponsorship after news of his numerous affairs came to light and fans stopped supporting him in droves. Despite being the most talented golfer to come along since Jack Nicklaus companies like Gatorade, AT&T and Accenture decided that the rewards from having his sponsorship didn’t outweigh the cost. Prior to the incident a sponsorship from Tiger Woods would help drive sales of their product but afterwards the value just wasn’t there. When they believed Woods was a great role model to kids and adults alike, companies like Gatorade could justify the millions of dollars in endorsements since he would help sell product. But with the news of his infidelity and more importantly his deceptiveness and poor attitude, Gatorade decided he just wasn’t worth the negative vies the general public had of him. And recently it was announced sponsors have had enough of John Daly after a childish display in Australia where he purposely hit all his golf balls into the pond so that he could leave the tournament early. The organizers and sponsors of that event also told him he was no longer welcome.

In team sports players that would have easily thrived in the past despite bad behavior are now finding it difficult to get continued support from teams who now view them as a liability. Terrell Owens effectively killed his own career with his behavior on and off the field and Pacman Jones barely got a look following his off-field incidents. He now plays for Cincinnati but has very little fan support and is just a shadow of his former self. Alex Rodriguez is loathed outside of New York and reports have said that A-Rod jersey sales have dried up as a result of his temper and poor actions off the field. As well there was little sympathy for Barry Bonds after the steroid scandal. While other players who admitted to using steroids such as Sammy Sosa generated a lot of team and fan support despite their actions, Barry Bonds was not one of those since most considered him a jerk and they were glad to see him disgraced.

The one exception to the rule may be Michael Vick. After serving time for organizing and participating in dog fights, Vick has successfully returned to Philadelphia. Mind you, he is still loathed by many and most dog lovers outside of Philadelphia have never forgiven him. But the fact that Atlanta immediately parted ways with their star player was telling. Twenty years ago the team probably would have stood behind him and argued that off field behavior was no reason to let a franchise player leave.

The difference between the last generation of sports and this generation is that in the past sports events occurred for the enjoyment of the fans. Players were paid fairly small salaries and most fans could afford to purchase the tickets. So if players misbehaved, there was really nothing anyone could do about it since the players effectively controlled their own destiny. Today, however, sports teams are like any other business and are owned by corporations who are looking to make as much money as possible. Consequently player salaries have become obscene and ticket prices have soared. Most of the prime seats are owned by corporations who give out the tickets as a sales promotion and the companies expect that the teams will represent their values at least somewhat. If the teams don’t then there’s a problem. For example, Purina has a plant in Atlanta and a nearby sales office in Fairburn, Georgia. Had the Atlanta Falcons decided to keep Michael Vick then there is probably no chance Purina could have ever given out tickets to the Falcons as a promotional item since being associated with Vick could have become a negative for the company. After all, why would a dog food company want to associate itself with a player that arranged dog fights? On the sponsorship side of things it’s even more pronounced. In NASCAR there aren’t enough sponsors to support 43 drivers which has resulted in start and parks, i.e. teams with no sponsors that begin a race to win prize money but then withdraw from the race prior to the first pit stop. And sponsors have made it known that if a driver does not represent their values and is not a good spokesperson for their product they will withdraw it. Bass Pro Shops, for example, was disappointed when Martin Truex Jr. left the #1 car and was replaced by Jamie McMurray. Truex represented everything the store sold, from hunting to boating equipment while Jamie McMurray didn’t. And McMurray was said to have a poor attitude. They planned on pulling out but held on after McMurray had some success and more importantly proved he could be a good spokesperson. Since his attitude improved, the company stayed on as a sponsor. Pennzoil, on the other hand, saw no advantage to being associated with a foul mouthed crybaby and so they apparently had a hand in convincing Gibbs to let Kurt Busch go, or they may have pulled their sponsorship of the #22 car. In other sports it was revealed that many companies like Nike will be sponsoring fewer players and they want players with both talent and a good attitude.

The other difference between today and the past is that the talent is more spread out nowadays. In the past there was a wide divide between star players and the others, but today most players in the league are fairly evenly matched talent wise. Sure there are players who stand above the others such as Lebron James or Albert Pujols but for every Pacman Jones, Terrell Owens, Todd Bertuzzi or Latrell Sprewell there are 40 others with similar talent who would be only too happy to have their job. And both teams and sponsors are in the driver’s seat. And teams are realizing that the advantage of taking on an attitude like Sprewell just isn’t worth it when there are so many others who could fill his shoes. So if the player believes he is more important than he is or if he brings down the value of the franchise with his actions they will let him go. And as many of these players are finding, landing with another team for a similar salary isn’t all that easy.

Without question, this change is good for both fans and even sports bettors. Fans are tired of seeing spoiled athletes complain about their lot in life and many parents are tired of trying to justify actions to their children. And on the betting side of things, the poor actions of players are resulting in numerous suspensions which makes it harder to handicap. For example following the dog fighting scandal with Vick, any bettor that wagered on the Atlanta Falcons to win the Super Bowl the following year saw their bets go down the drain and it’s extremely frustrating to see a story that “player x” has been suspended for 2 games for his actions which in turn costs both the teams and the fans.

Kurt Busch’s firing was certainly a positive turn of events. The general reaction in NASCAR forums has been “good riddance” and fans can only hope that other owners will continue to follow suit and let it be known that talent is no longer good enough to keep a job.

Contact Hartley via email at Hartley[at]osga[dot]com.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:52 am

Re: Talent is No longer Enough in Sports

living in the philly area there are many who are disgusted with michael vick, as i am one, its one thing to cuss ( not that i find it acceptable) but to kill defenseless animals, by making them fight, drowning them, or shocking them to death, is something many will never get over, yea people are cheering for him cuz he can throw a ball, but its only a matter of time that city gets bored with him and boo him out of the city.......
I miss you Frehley........
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:58 am

michaeljohn wrote:living in the philly area there are many who are disgusted with michael vick, as i am one, its one thing to cuss ( not that i find it acceptable) but to kill defenseless animals, by making them fight, drowning them, or shocking them to death, is something many will never get over, yea people are cheering for him cuz he can throw a ball, but its only a matter of time that city gets bored with him and boo him out of the city.......

I really don't care how much talent Mr. Vick has what he was involved in not only was a felony but a big slap in the face to the rest of the human race. When his defense tried to claim that dog fighting was part of his culture that's when I thought when has this country come down to felonies as a good thing. Murder, rape, burglary, assult etc. don't count as culture they are crimes. Prison was meant to get the idiots off the streets. Let us celebrate the good things and not just those who have a talent they continue to abuse.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Lizard

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:14 pm

[/quote]

I really don't care how much talent Mr. Vick has what he was involved in not only was a felony but a big slap in the face to the rest of the human race. When his defense tried to claim that dog fighting was part of his culture that's when I thought when has this country come down to felonies as a good thing. Murder, rape, burglary, assult etc. don't count as culture they are crimes. Prison was meant to get the idiots off the streets. Let us celebrate the good things and not just those who have a talent they continue to abuse.[/quote]

This is part of the reason why I have problems watching the NFL now. They have a number of felons playing and while the current commissioner is trying to clean things up, the NFL still made Ray Lewis it's poster boy despite the fact that he was involved with a murder(face it his white suit from that night to this day has not been found which to me leads to the fact that it had blood evidence that he was present if not fully involved). As for NBA, my friend said why bother watching "thug ball". One of their posterboys bought his way out of a rape conviction and most have more baby momma's than I have shoes.

I like NASCAR because the guys(and gals) get to be themselves but they are for the most part respectable and if they get into legal trouble usually face a harsh consequence(Kurt Busch was released 2 races early in 2005 for his outlandish behavior with cops and a DUI stop). I do not think that he would have been booted if he had been compliant with officers but he was being an idiot.

I wish the sports stars of today would be more like the ones I grew up admiring but that ship has sailed because they now grow up being treated as priviledged instead of being held accountable for things they do.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:56 pm

to label the nba as " thug ball" is like saying nascar is a "dumb redneck sport." neither comment has any validity, the charges were dropped against ray lewis, and whether he committed a crime or not, every chance he gets he praises god, so something good came out of that, plus the big story right now is tim tebow, who devotes his life to god, i will agree there are a few athletes ruin their sport, but they do just as much charity work as nascar drivers.
i do respect how you feel and where your coming from.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:13 pm

Honestly a lot of yesteryears sports heros were just as bad as todays badapples. It just that the coverage was as extensive as it is today. They also didnt have twitter & face book & all these other outlets to get internet info on them. Just what you read in the papers & occasionally on TV. Although back then they would try to make all sports people look good on TV, not looking for dirt, but a lot of times covering it up. So yesteryears sports heros werent all saints either.
ImageImageImage
<<

muskrat3

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:45 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Honestly a lot of yesteryears sports heros were just as bad as todays badapples. It just that the coverage was as extensive as it is today. They also didnt have twitter & face book & all these other outlets to get internet info on them. Just what you read in the papers & occasionally on TV. Although back then they would try to make all sports people look good on TV, not looking for dirt, but a lot of times covering it up. So yesteryears sports heros werent all saints either.

I have to agree with this. has NASCAR gotten worse with bad attitude drivers, are is it just more seen. and yes I think it is like that with all sports. We want unlimted access to our sports hero and even to musicians and actors. When they don't live up to "our" image then they are bad.
Please I am not excusing bad behaviors, Some people have no home training and it shows. The publisist can only keep there trash side hidden for so long.
And MJ I loves your point to.
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not
<<

jamo14

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 pm

"The worst thing a person can do is have a celebrity as their hero." - Charles Barkley

case in point: even the late Walter Payton had his demons
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Lizard

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:16 pm

I agree that athletes have always had their issues and we just know more about them now because of the internet, camera phones, and Twitter.
However, I do believe however that the type of behavior especially the criminal type is more and of a worse nature. I cannot remember a single time growing up that my dad had to explain to me why a player was not playing or no longer in the league because they were in jail for rape, assault, or drugs. My brother has had to do so with his kids more than once this year for their favorite team, the reigning Super Bowl champs.

He did not like having to explain about Tony being arrested either, but explaining the fight took place at the track regarding a safety issue was easier than explaining the drugs and physical abuse of the baby momma.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Lizard wrote:

I really don't care how much talent Mr. Vick has what he was involved in not only was a felony but a big slap in the face to the rest of the human race. When his defense tried to claim that dog fighting was part of his culture that's when I thought when has this country come down to felonies as a good thing. Murder, rape, burglary, assult etc. don't count as culture they are crimes. Prison was meant to get the idiots off the streets. Let us celebrate the good things and not just those who have a talent they continue to abuse.[/quote]

This is part of the reason why I have problems watching the NFL now. They have a number of felons playing and while the current commissioner is trying to clean things up, the NFL still made Ray Lewis it's poster boy despite the fact that he was involved with a murder(face it his white suit from that night to this day has not been found which to me leads to the fact that it had blood evidence that he was present if not fully involved). As for NBA, my friend said why bother watching "thug ball". One of their posterboys bought his way out of a rape conviction and most have more baby momma's than I have shoes.

I like NASCAR because the guys(and gals) get to be themselves but they are for the most part respectable and if they get into legal trouble usually face a harsh consequence(Kurt Busch was released 2 races early in 2005 for his outlandish behavior with cops and a DUI stop). I do not think that he would have been booted if he had been compliant with officers but he was being an idiot.

I wish the sports stars of today would be more like the ones I grew up admiring but that ship has sailed because they now grow up being treated as priviledged instead of being held accountable for things they do.[/quote]

Lizard I don't know how old you are but in my age group the Stars in sports had second jobs to make ends meet. Some sold insurance some had corporate jobs they could count on and some of the guys saved their money even tho it wasn't in the millions and bought their own companies. I remember when Frank Gifford said he could hardly wait to make $30,00 a year. He said when he did he thought he was rich. I don't know about basketball back then but football players played the game. None of this happy dance crap after making a first down it was guts all the way. When the team ended a game the uniforms looked like they had been through a shredder. They earned their money and I don't remember much about anything being said about their personal life. Of course we didn't have the internet, Twitter and Facebook to catch every word said. They had great nicknames too. Does anyone remember Night Train Lane from the Detroit Lions?
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.

Return to NASCAR & Racing