FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Almirola bags the #43 ride..........

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:44 pm

Almirola bags the #43 ride..........

Glad to see it...... He has some talent. He was the one gonna fill in for JJ in the 48 when Chandra was gonna drop the kid. That obviously says something for him, huh ?? 8-) 8-) ........

Richard Petty Motorsports announced today that Aric Almirola will drive the legendary #43 Ford Fusion in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competition beginning in 2012. Almirola has made 35 starts in the Sprint Cup Series, his most recent stint coming in 2010 when he finished the last five races of the season in the #9 Ford. During the final race of the season at Homestead-Miami Speedway, Almirola posted a career-high, fourth-place effort. Almirola drove a JR Motorsports entry [#88 Chevy] in the NASCAR Nationwide Series in 2011 and capped off a successful season with a fourth-place finish in the championship point standings. "One of the things I am most excited about is to have the chance to drive a car as iconic as the #43," stated Almirola. "There is so much history surrounding that number and to have my name above the door will be really special for me. This is the first real opportunity I've had to drive in the Cup Series full time. Last year the #43 team had a lot of speed and was competitive on a weekly basis. Greg Erwin is a great crew chief and I'm excited to work with him. Everyone at Richard Petty Motorsports has a lot of enthusiasm and drive and I'm really looking forward to getting to work."
Almirola will join a team that is poised to compete for a spot in the 2012 Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup. Paired with veteran Crew Chief Greg Erwin, Almirola will get behind the wheel for a team that earned one top-five and 10 top-10 finishes in 2011 en route to a 15th-place finish in the owner point standings.
"We are thrilled to welcome Aric Almirola into the RPM family," said team Co-owner Richard Petty. "We feel extremely fortunate to have had a number of very talented drivers interested in joining our organization, but ultimately we felt Aric would be the best fit for the team and for our current and potential partners. We have had the chance to watch his progress for the past several years and we had success with him in the past. We are really confident in his potential as a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver. We think Aric has all the makings to be the next bright star in our sport."
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:13 am

Re: Almirola bags the #43 ride..........

not takin away from him, but petty likes to hire drivers that he can low ball in paying, i think AA shoulda stayed with the 88, now he took a step back going to petty....
<<

racer1

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 pm

No NNS reg driver is going to turn down a Cup ride regardless, as its a step up. Besides there are reports that Jr Motorsports doesnt have full sponsorship for the 88 this year yet anyway--so why not go for it in Cup?

Some Cup guys without rides now have to go backwards to NNS so drivers take what they can get. 8-)
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:22 pm

I'd have to agree with racer on this one. Unless a nationwide series driver has a plan with the nationwide team/owner to move up with that owner already in place, I cant think of a single other reason not to make a move up into the cup series with a full time ride. Also RPM may not be a top teir ride, but there are a lot worse rides out there running full time. RPM is also heading in the right direction. (if they dont screw themselves)
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:59 pm

in AA's case three letters DEI, they screwed him there, look how long it took him to get back to this level, at least with the 88 he was in the hendricks stable, frankly HMS has the best cars........... petty will screw him over like he screwed reed sorenson over..............
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:08 pm

Cole Whitt is coming over from the truck series to drive the #88 this year,it'll be interesting to see what this kid can do once he gets some seat time.The last time Juniors NW cars ran good was when Martin Truex was in it and i don't believe HMS was involved with Jr.Motorsports back then.Brad Keselowski and Eric Almirola did ok in the #88,then again Jr.Motorsports dominated back in the days of Truex and things are much differant now than back then.The #43 would for sure not be anyones first choice for a Cup ride,but hey,it's a new start for AA. DEI became a cluster --ck after the loss of Dale and not letting Jr.in the family bussiness-look where it is today.
Junior Johnson/Cale Yarborough/Dale Earnhardt Snr./DougWolfgang
Ron Hornady/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski/Sammy Swindell
Kyle Larson and Ryan Blaney!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Theresa and jr shared the company that truex ran for, chance 2 motorsports, 07 jr started jrm.....
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Actually it was Dale Snr.who started it all with Jeff Green in the #3 Bush Series car own by DEI and it took off from there.TE may have had her name there,but as smart as she is,she never would spend the money or use the resources that Dale would to get the teams to run up front.Didn't take long for DEI to show prove of that and TE didn't let Jr.have any say or input on the Cup teams.We all see where that went and DEI really isn't much of anything now w/o Jr.Tony Stewart and Kevin Harvick to name a few even stated this would happen before it even did.DEI did play a big part in helping Jr.getting started,there's no denying that-but i always felt if TE let Jr.take some part in DEI on the Cup side,things would have turned out alot better for everyone.
Junior Johnson/Cale Yarborough/Dale Earnhardt Snr./DougWolfgang
Ron Hornady/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski/Sammy Swindell
Kyle Larson and Ryan Blaney!

Return to NASCAR & Racing