FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Its Offical Kurt Busch to Phoenix Racing

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:16 pm

Its Offical Kurt Busch to Phoenix Racing

By Lee Spencer

Kurt Busch will drive the No. 51 Chevrolet for Phoenix Racing in 2012.

Busch put the handshake deal together with team owner James Finch on Wednesday night.

“I went to the shop, and on the Christmas tree was a sign that read, ‘All we want from Santa is a winning driver,' ” Finch said. “We will be at the Daytona test next month and start with the Shootout.”

The decision comes just weeks after Busch mutually agreed to part ways with Penske Racing. Upon his departure, Busch said he “wanted racing to be fun again”. And if Busch was looking to combine “fun” with racing, no owner can deliver on that promise better than Finch. Couple that with the benefit of Hendrick Motorsports cars and engines and Busch could be the driver that puts Phoenix Racing on the map.

The 2004 Sprint Cup champion has 24 wins -- two each in the last three years -- and has qualified for six Chase for the Sprint Cups. Busch has won a race in each of the last 10 seasons.

“I told Kurt, ‘I won’t fire you and you won’t quit. We’ll do whatever it takes -- roll in the mud if we have to to win. I’ve worked construction all my life just so I could race and have a good time. I’ve worked with iron workers, I worked with construction workers, so working with a driver is not going to be a problem.

“As I said earlier, all we want to do is win”.

Finch’s has been active in Sprint Cup racing since 1990. Phoenix Racing has one victory and three top fives in 191 starts with multiple drivers. His lone win came in April 2009 at Talladega Superspeedway with Brad Keselowski behind the wheel. Nick Harrison will continue to serve as crew chief.

Landon Cassill most recently piloted the No. 51 for Finch last season. Finch finished 30th in owner points.

So how does Kurt do in 2012? I could see a top 20 finish in poinbts at the most and them being strong on the plate tracks and road courses. But will HMS provide more info to Phoenix and work more closesly since they have an elite driver? SHR too? Either way chase is very doubtful. I heard he declined RPM not quite sure why maybe he sees something in this team that we don't.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Re: Its Offical Kurt Busch to Phoenix Racing

Maybe RPM gave him an ultimatum if he signed, & he said screw that. Image
ImageImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:57 pm

This Finch person has a great sense of humor so Kurt might just find some fun with this race team. This is the owner that said if he hired Busch he might just have to hire Jimmy Spencer as his crew chief. This was said a couple of weeks ago and he may have just been kidding, ya think?
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:44 am

hms isnt going out of their way to give info up, if hendrick gave up on kyle because of his tude, he sure as #### wont do anything that benefits kurt, one reason they helped 01/51 is because brad was in their stable, kurt is a tool, nothing is going to change that.
<<

ndunn

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:18 am

michaeljohn wrote:hms isnt going out of their way to give info up, if hendrick gave up on kyle because of his tude, he sure as #### wont do anything that benefits kurt, one reason they helped 01/51 is because brad was in their stable, kurt is a tool, nothing is going to change that.

Michael, I thought Hendricks got rid of Kyle was so he could have his little buddy Junior in his stable. He didn't get any wins out of him but the publicity has been pure gold.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

SmokeFan14

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:41 pm

It's too bad...was thinking that if he had to sit a season, or had to take a Truck or Nationwide ride for a season it might humble down his attitude a bit. Now I think he's just going to be Demo Derby car trying to push his way to the front to make his point and audition for a better ride for 2013.
"Where there's Smoke, There's Racin'!"
<<

racer1

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Kurt isnt going to do well in that car as often times its not the driver, but the team and the car. However the fact he had to take such a low rent drivers seat may infact humble him enough? Sometimes though, it just is what it is, and nasty drivers cant/wont change, but nascar will be watching and take car of that if it continues for sure with him or his brother>

Some feel sorry for Kurt and Kyle, but they did cause this themselves. I posted the other day a not so friendly comment about Kyle and the truck race wreck saying he deserved even more punishment, and I got slammed, as i didnt know it was moreso a Bush brothers fan forum site, but Iam still laughing> They are both good to great drivers but that alone doesnt excuse their actions>
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:12 pm

ndunn wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:hms isnt going out of their way to give info up, if hendrick gave up on kyle because of his tude, he sure as #### wont do anything that benefits kurt, one reason they helped 01/51 is because brad was in their stable, kurt is a tool, nothing is going to change that.

Michael, I thought Hendricks got rid of Kyle was so he could have his little buddy Junior in his stable. He didn't get any wins out of him but the publicity has been pure gold.

i have no idea... i dont follow jr, i dont even remember when he joined HMS
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:45 pm

I think this is the first, step down for Kurt.... and I doubt that he'll step back up again, any time soon.

Once you're dumped... ( and mean & rude to America's beloved Dr. Jerry Punch ! LOL ) there's no coming back from that.

Any good races he has will always be tempered with Kurt's ability to do good again, in the eyes of NASCAR and reach "where he once was."

Kurt may become, in say 5 or 10 years, a sad figurehead for the lesson learned - Nobody is bigger than NASCAR... and you don't mess with NASCAR. They can shun you better than the Amish... make you disappear like a mob informant... shut you up like Jeremy Mayfield...or allow you to hang around for the grim reminder.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

grmpyracer

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:26 pm

smokieonefour wrote:I think this is the first, step down for Kurt.... and I doubt that he'll step back up again, any time soon.

Once you're dumped... ( and mean & rude to America's beloved Dr. Jerry Punch ! LOL ) there's no coming back from that.

Any good races he has will always be tempered with Kurt's ability to do good again, in the eyes of NASCAR and reach "where he once was."

Kurt may become, in say 5 or 10 years, a sad figurehead for the lesson learned - Nobody is bigger than NASCAR... and you don't mess with NASCAR. They can shun you better than the Amish... make you disappear like a mob informant... shut you up like Jeremy Mayfield...or allow you to hang around for the grim reminder.

Have to agree with you
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm

smokieonefour wrote:I think this is the first, step down for Kurt.... and I doubt that he'll step back up again, any time soon.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr, you can go out, win a few, #### everybody off in the process and sit back, thumb your nose at the world and say, "NEENER, NEENER, NEENER" all the way to the Championship :P
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:28 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr, you can go out, win a few, #### everybody off in the process and sit back, thumb your nose at the world and say, "NEENER, NEENER, NEENER" all the way to the Championship :P

Oh I totally agree MWS. Didn't Tony sort of knock Carl off his perch with the neener neener song fest? Even tho Tony got lots of accolates for the championship some magazines still feel Carl should have had the title. Well he didn't get it and was what the guys call first loser PERIOD. Carl was great all year but so was Hamlin when he had the chance and he still lost it before the season was over and then blew the year after. Carl will have to start from scratch at Daytona just like the other 42 drivers.

Return to NASCAR & Racing