FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Aric Almirola could drive for Kyle Busch

<<

jamo14

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Aric Almirola could drive for Kyle Busch

AVONDALE, Ariz. -- Aric Almirola told ESPN.com on Thursday he has been contacted by Joe Gibbs Racing about possibly replacing Kyle Busch in the final two Sprint Cup races and is awaiting final word from the organization.

ESPN's Marty Smith reported Thursday on SportsCenter and NASCAR Now that Busch, according to sources, will be in the No. 18 Cup car this weekend at Phoenix International Raceway and next weekend at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the car likely will be sponsored by Interstate Batteries instead of M&Ms, which was scheduled to be on the car as the primary sponsor.

The Associated Press reported Thursday that according to multiple people familiar with Busch's schedule, Z-Line Designs asked this week that Denny Hamlin replace Busch in the Nationwide race at Homestead.

Mars Incorporated, which manufacturers M&Ms, stated its displeasure with Busch for intentionally wrecking Ron Hornaday Jr. in the Nov. 4 Truck Series race at Texas Motor Speedway.

Busch was parked for the Nationwide Series and Cup Series races at Texas, then fined $50,000 and placed on probation for the rest of the season by NASCAR.

But according to sources, Mars Inc. still had reservations about having its name on the Cup car with Busch for the last two races, prompting the call to Almirola.

Almirola said JGR president J.D. Gibbs contacted him Wednesday to see if he would be available. Almirola, who drives a Chevrolet for JR Motorsports in the Nationwide Series, said JRM has given him permission to drive for the Toyota team.

"Your guess is as good as mine,'' Almirola told ESPN.com before Nationwide practice at Phoenix as to what will happen. "I know they're working through a lot of things. I just told them I was available if they needed me."

Although NASCAR has cleared Busch to race this weekend at Phoenix, JGR officials have been silent on his status in Sunday's Cup race.

Although JGR has not said if Busch's job is in jeopardy, he has been fired before. Hendrick Motorsports let him go at the end of the 2007 season, when the team made room to sign Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Busch has been off the track since he intentionally wrecked Hornaday. Busch has admitted he lost control of his temper, though at first he expressed little remorse.

"I lost my cool, no doubt about it," he said. "I've been wrecked four weeks in a row, and I've had enough of it, and I retaliated. So it's certainly my fault for doing that. If everybody wants to say, 'Hornaday is racing for a championship, roll over,' that's not my fashion. That's not anybody else's fashion out here."

His tone changed considerably a day later.

"I've had a lot of time today to sit and reflect, and try to put my thoughts into words as best I can," he wrote in a lengthy apology posted Saturday on the Kyle Busch Motorsports website. "I want to sincerely apologize for my actions during Friday night's Truck Series race at Texas."

Brad Keselowski, preparing to practice the No. 22 in the Nationwide Series for Penske Racing, said Busch has been punished enough.

"Free Kyle Busch,'' he said with a smile.

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at dnewtonespn@aol.com. The Associated Press contributed to thsi report.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

jamo14

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Re: Aric Almirola could drive for Kyle Busch

This just won't end, and only 2 races left....
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Listen to BK........
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:35 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Listen to BK........

ditto mws it's time to close this subject and move on. Hope the media can give Kyle the same kind of consideration they give Michael Vick. I didn't hear where he lost a job for his criminal actions. Plus if I remember right his owners gave him a big big raise in salary.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 pm

Almirila :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Stop it,i can't take anymore,lies all lies! FREE WILLY!
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:44 am

this is what ya get when ya spin someone into a wall head on and take them out of a championship just because your a hot head and cant control your emotions, im glad m&m's decided not to sponsor him the last two races
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Lizard

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:17 am

Does not surprise me that BK is speaking out for KB, BK has some of the same issues as KB though at least on track has learned to curb them after some tough love from other vetern drivers. (by the way not just my opinion was voiced by some others on ESPN and SPEED just this week).

I think KB has gotten the message that he screwed up but as Coach Gibbs said on Sat/Sun actions have consequences and not always fair consequences.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:20 pm

KB & other drivers to address media in a few minutes - 11:30AM EST

Live video - http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/webcas ... onference/
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Just started - Joe Gibbs & Kyle Busch are up first.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:39 pm

Lizard wrote:Does not surprise me that BK is speaking out for KB, BK has some of the same issues as KB though at least on track has learned to curb them after some tough love from other vetern drivers. (by the way not just my opinion was voiced by some others on ESPN and SPEED just this week).

I think KB has gotten the message that he screwed up but as Coach Gibbs said on Sat/Sun actions have consequences and not always fair consequences.

Hey,this is about Kyle not Brad! :mrgreen:
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !

Return to NASCAR & Racing