FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hendrick's plane crash in Key West

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:15 am

Hendrick's plane crash in Key West

October 31, 2011 — KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) — A small jet carrying the owner of NASCAR's top team and his wife lost its brakes and crash landed at a Key West, Fla., airport Monday evening, and the couple suffered minor injuries, officials said.

The Gulfstream 150 aircraft ran off the runway at the Key West International Airport Monday at 7:45 p.m. Rick and Linda Hendrick, a pilot and co-pilot were all taken to Lower Keys Medical Centers. The Hendricks had minor injuries and the pilot and co-pilot were taken in as a precaution, said county airport director Peter Horton.

The plane is registered to Jimmie Johnson Racing II Incorporated in Charlotte, N.C. Johnson is a five-time defending NASCAR champion and drives for Hendrick Motorsports, which Rick Hendrick owns. Besides Johnson, Hendrick also fields cars for four-time champion Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Mark Martin. The team recently celebrated its 199th career victory in the Sprint Cup Series.

"It was a real big scare. Very frightening to hear," Earnhardt told reporters in Las Vegas, where he was attending the annual SEMA show, which showcases automotive specialty-equipment. "I'm very glad that he and everybody appears to be OK.

In 2004, a plane Hendrick owned crashed en route to a race in Martinsville, Va., killing all 10 onboard. That included Hendrick's son, Ricky, his brother and twin nieces. According to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, the pilot and co-pilot radioed that the plane had no brakes upon landing in Key West. Horton said the plane ran off the runway, and then 100 feet beyond a 600-foot safety area that was finished in May.

"If we hadn't done that, it likely would have been a different story," Horton said of the safety area that is meant as a runway overrun space. Photographs of the crash show the plane largely intact and with its nose resting on the ground about 20 feet in front of a chain-linked airport boundary fence.

The National Transportation and Safety Board will investigate the cause of the crash.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 am

Re: Hendrick's plane crash in Key West

Geeze. Glad everyone is ok this time.
I was at that Martinsville race when news buzz came in over radio head sets that Hendrick's plane went down. It just started spreading around person to person there in the stands.
I'd start being jittery over flying to Martinsville now if I were in one of them planes :shock: Has to be something about Martinsville & near Halloween :?
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

jamo14

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:49 am

DAM, they are lucky...glad they're ok
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

dirt93

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:58 am

Scary.... Glad all are OK.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

OldTimmer

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Glad everyone is ok.
Go Rocket Man
<<

Lizard

Post Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 pm

I woke up and saw it on a news blip and thought #### that family and planes.

Glad everyone is alright.
"If it works for you, do it. If its how you feel, act it. Just be yourself, and if being yourself means you`re being cocky once in a while, have at it." Tony Stewart

"I`m too lazy to work my real job. I love what I do." Tony Stewart
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:46 am

Hendrick hospitalized to manage pain from crash

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer Nov 2, 3:29 pm EDT

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—NASCAR team owner Rick Hendrick has been hospitalized to treat injuries he suffered when his private plane ran off the runway during a landing.

Hendrick Motorsports said Wednesday an evaluation in Charlotte showed Hendrick had four broken ribs and a broken shoulder. He was admitted Tuesday to a local hospital to better manage his pain, and is expected to be released by the end of the week.

Hendrick, his wife and two pilots were on the Gulfstream G150 that had brake issues upon landing Monday night at Key West International Airport. The plane is co-owned by Jimmie Johnson and normally shuttles the five-time defending NASCAR champion and his family to and from races.

Linda Hendrick sustained minor cuts and bruises. The two pilots were not injured.

The plane apparently skidded off the 4,800-foot runway and came to a stop along a 600-foot unpaved safety area that had been added in May.

Hendrick, the most successful owner in NASCAR with 199 Sprint Cup Series victories, praised the pilots in a statement issued Wednesday.

“I’m so proud of how our pilots handled the situation, and we’re extremely appreciative of the folks in Key West who went above and beyond to help us. It’s good to be back in Charlotte as we regroup and focus on our family,” he said.

“Linda and I have been overwhelmed by all the words of encouragement and genuine concern we’ve received. We are blessed to have such a wonderful support system, and our family is extremely grateful for the thoughts and prayers. We extend our sincere thanks to everyone.”
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14

Return to NASCAR & Racing