FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

INDY DRIVER DIED

<<

jamo14

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:09 am

Re: INDY DRIVER DIED

duffygoofy wrote:
wolfgang wrote:Regards to Jimmy Johnsons comments about Indy cars, AJ Foyt says his comments were stupid and Johnson knows nothing about Indy cars,nor has he ever driven one. AJ says the safety in Indy cars has a 99.9% survival rate and he has driven both Nascar and Indy and states the cars are a #### of alot safer than the days he drove them, Andretti pretty much says the same about survival rate.
THE ONLY THING I WANT TO KNOW IS WHY IN THE #### DOES INDY AND F-I STILL HAVE NO ROLL CAGE AROUND THE DRIVER AS THE FUNNY CARS AND DRAGSTERS DO :?: :?: :?: :?:

I think they are doing that for next year wolfgang. I heard that somewhere. I guess it takes a death to do anything.

there have been no plans to install roll cages on the indycars, that may change, but I highly doubt they would do that.

The new chassis have sidepods that protrude past the outer walls of the wheels to prevent wheel-lock, and the rears of the cars are designed to prevent lift-off in the event of one machine slamming into another.

Th roll bar behind the driver's head that were on the machines in the 60s, are still in there today....you just don't see them because they are hidden by the body, with the intake just directly behind it. ;)

[Andretti called Johnson on Wednesday to discuss it, and Johnson clarified that he should have been specific about high-banked ovals. Las Vegas has progressive banking, and many IndyCar drivers expressed concern about racing on that kind of track.

Johnson called Foyt after he spoke to Andretti, and said he's also had conversations with Dario Franchitti, Danica Patrick, Tony Kanaan, Will Power, Oriol Servia, Paul Tracy, Marco Andretti and IndyCar chairman Randy Bernard about his comments. He said all understood what he meant, and all supported him. :arrow: from espn.com]
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:00 pm

I have to agree with JJ on this one.
AJ said he got hurt in both cars, but if you look at at a cup car today AJ may have never of gotten hurt in one of these. Indy cars are safer than back in the day, but that doesnt make them safe.
Now add the worst case senario for an Indy car as far as tracks on conditions & you are gaurenteed to have an injury. Why would you race a race that is all but gaurenteed to have something bad happen. AJ hasnt ever driven an Indy car where he can go flatfooted on the gas all the way around the track & be stuck in a tight bunch of other Indy cars doing the samething.
AJ was defending his sport, JJ was talking logically.
ImageImageImage
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:I have to agree with JJ on this one.
AJ said he got hurt in both cars, but if you look at at a cup car today AJ may have never of gotten hurt in one of these. Indy cars are safer than back in the day, but that doesnt make them safe.
Now add the worst case senario for an Indy car as far as tracks on conditions & you are gaurenteed to have an injury. Why would you race a race that is all but gaurenteed to have something bad happen. AJ hasnt ever driven an Indy car where he can go flatfooted on the gas all the way around the track & be stuck in a tight bunch of other Indy cars doing the samething.
AJ was defending his sport, JJ was talking logically.

AJ thought it was stupid to say they should eliminate ovals altogether...which is in fact stupid...and JJ had to elaborate that he meant tracks like LV.

And I wouldn't downplay his credentials that much, I'm sure he's been in just about every kind of scenerio in racing ;)
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:45 pm

Heard what JJ said the first time for myself and what he meant doesn't mean squat to me or anyone else within IZOD.Drivers should keep their opinions to their own circuit and what they are familiar with.The full roll cage may never come about,but saying they shouldn't race at Vegas,you may as well say Cup shouldn't run Dega or Daytona.Sucks we had to lose a talent such as Dan,it was a freak accident and i agree some steps should be taken to seperate the cars a little more,the same time too many were there.since i'm no expert on how the IRL can do this,i'll shut up now,but no way should they just stop running there.
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:34 pm

dan
Attachments
1095127_article_img_xlarge1.jpg
1095127_article_img_xlarge1.jpg (155.85 KiB) Viewed 586 times
ImageImage
Previous

Return to NASCAR & Racing