FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR Memory........

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:23 am

NASCAR Memory........

as a kid i grew up watching indy racing and some nascar, that they would show on WW of Sports. I didnt really get the bug until 88, and started to follow kenny schrader and davey allison, but my favorite memory was in the winter of 1992, i had just bought a truck i couldnt afford and was only able to get AM radio, on the local channel they played oldies from the 50's and 60's, but on the weekend the covered the busch and winston cup races, it was a fun time listeing to the announcers calling the race, and for the rest of that year whether i was at home or in the truck, i listened to the race that way, this was the year i had major back surgery and was laid up for 9 months, and this is when i really got into nascar, that will always be my favorite memory.........
<<

jamo14

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: NASCAR Memory........

My favorite nascar memories are listening to my "Uncle Red's" (he's not my uncle by blood, but as close to one as you can be) stories about his sons racing USAC cars that they and my "Uncle Red" built....stories of racing against Tony Stewart, Kenny Irwin, and Jeff Gordon.

Plus stories of my "Uncle Red's" father racing in the Indy 500 and tracks all over the country in the 60s, and stories of AJ Foyt.

Also finding out that Ken Schrader was racing at the local dirt track I was attending that night.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Wow MJ.... WW of Sports.... ha ha ha - take me back.... :-)

The Wide World of Sports was a TV show in the 60's & 70's that showed auto racing, tennis, football, baseball, golf... but was THE ONLY show, showing auto races back then. Does anyone remember Jim McKay and Jackie Stewart commentating? :-) My dad used to watch it in the 70's and that was my first viewing of a race on TV. :-)

*** Slim Pickens, in Blazing Saddles - campfire ladies song scene = "What in the Wide, wide, world of sports is going on here?" :lol:

Also... in 1994, I bought my ex-hubby the first edition computer game of NASCAR RACING. :-) It came on like 6 of the 3.5 disks. (( Wish I'd kept them )) It was REALLY basic back then, as compared to now... but I used to get a kick out of ex-hubby's friends, lighting up like a Christmas tree, when they first saw it for the first time too. :-)

Lastly, when I switched over from Indy car to NASCAR ( and brought ex-hubby over too ) I picked Jeff Gordon as "my" driver in '92 or '93, whenever his rookie year was. My ex asked why. I said "Because he's a rookie, I LOVE the Dupont rainbow colors... and lastly, he was a CA Bay Area native." :-) I went on "The Rainbow Ride" for the next 5 years or so and became totally hooked, as a fan of the sport. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:18 am

first video game of nascar i got was bill elliot, it had 4 tracks, dega, daytona, and the two road courses, funny thing about the road courses there was no elevation changes, no hills or nothing, very basic,

then i got days of thunder, that was a horrible game......

i think jam will agree, that listening to a race is like listening to a baseball game, you let your imagination take over the experience, and it becomes better.
<<

austin024

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:11 pm

My earliest memory was the day Dale died, I was in the living room sitting after the race, Mom was crying and that's basically all i can remember. I was only 7 so i cant remember much.

I am who I am, If you dont like me. You Can kiss my ####
<<

ndunn

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:04 pm

smokieonefour wrote:Wow MJ.... WW of Sports.... ha ha ha - take me back.... :-)

The Wide World of Sports was a TV show in the 60's & 70's that showed auto racing, tennis, football, baseball, golf... but was THE ONLY show, showing auto races back then. Does anyone remember Jim McKay and Jackie Stewart commentating? :-) My dad used to watch it in the 70's and that was my first viewing of a race on TV. :-)

*** Slim Pickens, in Blazing Saddles - campfire ladies song scene = "What in the Wide, wide, world of sports is going on here?" :lol:

Also... in 1994, I bought my ex-hubby the first edition computer game of NASCAR RACING. :-) It came on like 6 of the 3.5 disks. (( Wish I'd kept them )) It was REALLY basic back then, as compared to now... but I used to get a kick out of ex-hubby's friends, lighting up like a Christmas tree, when they first saw it for the first time too. :-)

Lastly, when I switched over from Indy car to NASCAR ( and brought ex-hubby over too ) I picked Jeff Gordon as "my" driver in '92 or '93, whenever his rookie year was. My ex asked why. I said "Because he's a rookie, I LOVE the Dupont rainbow colors... and lastly, he was a CA Bay Area native." :-) I went on "The Rainbow Ride" for the next 5 years or so and became totally hooked, as a fan of the sport. :-)

I remember Jim McKay and Jackie Stewart as those two were the voice of racing for a long time. I was interested in Indy car racing as they came to Michigan and that was always exciting. I never missed listening to the practice and qualifying for the 500. When they had the big feud over the Indy cars and Cart I just gave up on following either one. The area where I lived didn't have live coverage of Nascar for a long time but we had local dirt tracks that were close by. I never missed a race for a couple of seasons. Those were the good old days. No such thing as crew chiefs or pit crews. Most drivers had family or friends that helped out. Alot of time the drivers just drove the cars home. I remember Richard Petty and Ned Jarret talking about saving the car so they could drive theirs home. I wonder if the young people knew just what the racers had to do to race. It was primitive at times but they were devoted to what they did. They were the roots of NASCAR.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Yeah, I forgot about the beginnings of pit crews and chiefs. It WAS funny, as they did start out with no official pit crews - it was just who ever was there to help. Larry Mac did a lil special, some years ago, about the whole evolution of the crews... it was pretty neat.

"Your brothers neighbor lives next door to a mechanic? Get him over to the track!" LOL Some teams had huge numbers at / in the pits - others just a few. Can't remember the year they introduced pit crew uniforms... This is also where nepotism got it's foothold in the sport, as many family members served in many positions.

And yes, as NDunn states, before haulers.. a lot of the drivers ( or team members ) drove the race car back to the shops! Hard to imagine now a days, isn't it? this was also a time when the auto manufactures were REALLY pitted against each other, in horse power and aero dynamics, as the car models were all different. No fancy paint scheme changes either.... it was the "same ol' - same ol' " every week. The sponsor "stickers" were neat too, as they evolved.

This has been a lil fun, to go back and remember some of this stuff. The little details.... :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

jamo14

Post Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 pm

I love listening to sports on the radio, they really know how to paint a picture, and the sideline/pitlane info you get does not get matched on the tv broadcast.
I watch sports on tv, but to be honest, tv really sucks at getting info from the sideline/pitlane.

<<

ndunn

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 am

This has been great bringing up what others remember regarding NASCAR roots. Not long ago there was a documentry on SPEED about Ford Motor getting into racing. The sky was the limit on money and they had the best engineers they could find and material for them to work with. The motivation behind all of this was to beat Europe in racing. Which they finally did. I wish I had had this recorded so I could see it again and pay better attention. I believe this was hosted by Dave Desplain of SPEED.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

<<

jamo14

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:32 am

ndunn wrote:This has been great bringing up what others remember regarding NASCAR roots. Not long ago there was a documentry on SPEED about Ford Motor getting into racing. The sky was the limit on money and they had the best engineers they could find and material for them to work with. The motivation behind all of this was to beat Europe in racing. Which they finally did. I wish I had had this recorded so I could see it again and pay better attention. I believe this was hosted by Dave Desplain of SPEED.

That reminds me of AJ Foyt & Dan Gurney winning The 24 Hours Le Mans race on their 1st attempt...2 Americans with an Amercian racecar (Ford GT)

They asked the 2 drivers after the race what it meant to win the famous race in France, and they said "It's just a bunch of country roads"

<<

ndunn

Post Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:59 pm

jamo14 wrote:
ndunn wrote:This has been great bringing up what others remember regarding NASCAR roots. Not long ago there was a documentry on SPEED about Ford Motor getting into racing. The sky was the limit on money and they had the best engineers they could find and material for them to work with. The motivation behind all of this was to beat Europe in racing. Which they finally did. I wish I had had this recorded so I could see it again and pay better attention. I believe this was hosted by Dave Desplain of SPEED.

That reminds me of AJ Foyt & Dan Gurney winning The 24 Hours Le Mans race on their 1st attempt...2 Americans with an Amercian racecar (Ford GT)

They asked the 2 drivers after the race what it meant to win the famous race in France, and they said "It's just a bunch of country roads"

God love the honesty of Foyt and Gurney. Just ask any old timer what back road driving was like. Anyone worth their salt in the early racing could drive those roads with blind folds on. They knew every bump and pot hole out there and could maneuver them all. Bless their hearts every one of them.

<<

jamo14

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:44 pm

The day Alan Kulwicki won the 1992 Winston Cup Championship, in which there were a handful of drivers in contention on the last race of the year.

Davey Allison, Bill Elliott, Kyle Petty, Alan Kulwicki

It was also Richard Petty's last race, and Jeff Gordon's 1st year in a Cup car

<<

cslonewolf

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I have had so many fav moments it's hard to pick just one. From my first trip to the track w/ my uncle for qualifying (the event that planted the seed for me that grew into an obsession) My first race (having lunch w/ Mark Martin, and my then fav Rusty Wallace winning the race) Meeting Bobby Labonte at a fan club meeting w/ an ex. Meeting and hanging out w/ Gregg Zippadelli at a local bar one race weekend. All the Matiolli Picnics I have attended, and all the other perks that came w/ them (free credentials w
that ultimatly led to me meeting and getting the autographs of many drivers)

I kinda think that of all these things my fav might be when I got to work security for the June Pocono race in 2008. I worked my butt off and I think I walked more miles than the cars drove the whole weekend, but it was an expierience I'll never forget. I got to see pretty much how our fav drivers live. While doing patrols of the R.V. area seeing Jeff Burton buying his son an icecream from the ice cream truck. Seeing Kenny Wallace chatting on his cell phone while just hanging in his golf cart. Meeting drivers wives, Seeing drivers getting ready for their trip to a local fishing hole or golf course. I got to be right there as the drivers and crews were going into the drivers meeting before the race. Having Brian Vickers yell at me for not wearing sun screen lol. One of my fav parts was after a wreck we were sent to watch over the garage to keep the media out of the way while crews tried to repair the car. So there was an accident between JMP and Clint Bowyer. I was assigned to watch over the Bowyer crew. I'm standing there watching the crew frantically trying to put the 07 back together again, and I see this guy dressed in black out of the corner of my eye come up and stand right beside me. I look over and there stood Clint. I thought to myself "OMF'NG this is like the coolest job EVER!!!!"

I had blisters on my feet for weeks after, and my legs and feet hurt sooo bad from all the walking, but that was a weekend I will never forget. I felt like a V.I.P. I got to talk to or at least see almost every driver in the series, and to top it all off about two weeks later I recieved a paycheck for it in the mail. I felt like I was cheating the security company by cashing it,cause I had way tooo much fun and I woulda done it for free.
"He makes me look thinner" Tony on why he picked Ryan to be his team mate. bet he's gonna enjoy his fair share of Krissie's cookies every weekend lol
SMOKE'N ROCKETS
GO #39 U.S ARMY CHEVROLET
GO RYAN
GO SMOKE,
<<

im4tony

Post Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:22 pm

great reading lonewolf
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:07 pm

lonewolf that was great reading. I'm so glad you posted it. Such memories you have that can't be taken away. You can aways slip back to memory lane and remember things you've forgotten. I'll just bet each one of those blisters was worth it.

Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing