FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Shane Hmiel back in Victory Lane...GREAT READ

<<

jamo14

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:04 pm

Shane Hmiel back in Victory Lane...GREAT READ

Associated Press
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Shane Hmiel returned to Victory Lane as a car owner on the one-year anniversary of the accident that almost killed him.

Levi Jones won the Gold Crown Midget Nationals at Tri-City Speedway in Pontoon Beach, Ill., on Saturday night. He was driving the No. 56 owned by Hmiel's RW56 Motorsports team in the USAC Series.

"What a remarkable night," Jones said. "To be able to win in just my second start for Shane and on the anniversary weekend of his wreck is just absolutely amazing. The weekend couldn't have worked out any better for us. It was awesome to see Shane back in Victory Lane where he belongs."

Hmiel made the trip with Jones to Victory Lane in his wheelchair. Hmiel was paralyzed last October in a crash during the U.S. Auto Racing Club's Silver Crown race at Terre Haute Action Track.

A blown engine in Thursday night's heat races almost caused the team to withdraw, but fellow competitor Zach Daum gave them an engine and Jones went on to win.

"We were done," Hmiel said. "If Zach and his dad Dan hadn't helped us out, we were headed home with our heads held down. Just goes to show that the USAC community is a special group of racers."
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

duffygoofy

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:08 pm

Re: Shane Hmiel back in Victory Lane...GREAT READ

Glad to hear Shane is doing good.
ImageImage
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:27 pm

Glad he's able to get back to racing. What a way to start back though 1 yr accident anniversary.
I tell ya, it took me a long while to not feel uneasy going everyday past where I had an accident, took a good few yrs for me, each yr it was a little easier. Now it doesn't even phase me. Maybe it took so long because I always dwelled on it each time I had to pass by there. What ever the reason, I'm glad the uneasiness is gone for me. Race car drivers have to be strong in that mind set.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Wow, it doesn't seem like a year has passed since his crash. Glad to see him doing well & still involved in racing. I guess it is in his blood. :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

Countdown to the 2015 Daytona 500
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:13 pm

Thanks jamo for the post regarding Shane. That is an awesome"feel good story" of a tragedy that could have taken a young fellows life. My best to Shane and his family and I hope his race team continues great things for him.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.

Return to NASCAR & Racing