FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Here is my hypothetical

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Here is my hypothetical

So you can use this example with any driver of any multi car teams, but for recent events I am gonna use Menard.

So say menard slows up at the end of a race so Harvick can gain another point in the event. Not saying team orders or not it could be just him being a good teammate, but either way. I know how I feel when I see that in F-1.

So this creates a little controversey & lots of talk in the media & on the boards, but realistically, there is no rules against it. Now throughout the chase he actually does it a couple times helping Harvick out, now going into the last race Harvick is neck in neck for the title. (those extra points making a difference)

Notice I am not saying he wins the title or not. I am curious what everyones thoughts are about it before the last race is even ran.

How do you people feel about it? if this happens.
Again it doesnt have to be Harvick/Menard(or multipleRCR teammates) It could be Logano helping Denny or Kyle, or Martin & dale Jr helping one of the other HMS guys. (could you imagine JJ winning 6th in a row on a stunt like this) So not looking for a reaction as a fan of a certain driver, but the situation.

How would you feel about this going into the last race of the season?
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:35 pm

Re: Here is my hypothetical

THEY WERE DOING THAT A FEW YRS BACK,opps when going to miami before the 4 team rule, certain teams would run an extra car so the car running for the cup would automatically have 3 points, it is what it is, unless nascar changes the rules, people will find any way to help their contending tean a better chance to win...
I miss you Frehley........
<<

tlmerk

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:11 pm

I know, it's an interesting point to ponder and debate. Those few laps throughout the season that Edwards lets Kenseth lead or Hamlin lets Logano lead COULD make a difference on whether someone gets into the Chase.

I always thought it was kind of commendible letting a teammate lead a lap or some other minor way to help him get a point here or there, but those points can add up to the difference between in or out. What if someone got IN that way and then WON the Chase?? Guess he'd have to sleep at night with knowing those couple points helped put him there when someone else didn't have that edge. Sooo THAT'S how JJ wins the Chase every year! Look how many teammates he has giving him those little points here and there. :-)
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:31 pm

he also wins because he has a tad of talent :mrgreen:
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:59 pm

guess i look at it a bit different than the letting a teammate lead a lap.
Altering the outcome of a race (giving up your spot) is final. Letting someone lead a lap doesnt effect the outcome of the actual race. Who is to say that siomeone wouldnt lead a lap later. It isnt just teammate that allow someone to lead a lap. Sometimes a deal is made so the leader wont be pressured after getting the lead back. This isnt just allowing someone to get points, it is taking away points from a team (& prize money) I know I cant stand it when they have team orders to allow a teammate to pass at an end of a race in F-1. I would be #### if that were to happen. Granted I guess in aa way it already has in the past. I think RCR brought in a 2nd team one year for the last race of the year, because as long as Dale Sr. didnt finish 43rd (& 2nd win while leading the most laps) he would clicnh the title. So the 2nd team was basically the 1st start & park team. But Dale Sr. was winning that Championship regardless. I am just imagining someone losing the title due to some team slowing down to allow the teammate to pass for the checkers. I think if the Championship was decided by that it would be BS & suck.

But hey! Thats just me Image
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:28 pm

hey many think harvick got an extra 3 bonus points due to menards spin, nothing is going to happen to them even if nasccar finds them guilty, so it doesnt bother me because nascar changes the rules whenever they feel like it, they never stick to what they said before, and when it comes to the chase, no driver has slowed up a contender, but maybe that will change this yr, then again the morons off nascar will make a ruling that fits their needs not the sports....
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 am

michaeljohn wrote:he also wins because he has a tad of talent :mrgreen:

...he also wins because he has a "Chad" bit of talent... :) :D :lol: ...couldn't resist the pun... ;)
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:47 pm

michaeljohn wrote:hey many think harvick got an extra 3 bonus points due to menards spin, nothing is going to happen to them even if nasccar finds them guilty, so it doesnt bother me because nascar changes the rules whenever they feel like it, they never stick to what they said before, and when it comes to the chase, no driver has slowed up a contender, but maybe that will change this yr, then again the morons off nascar will make a ruling that fits their needs not the sports....

I never thought Nascar was gonna change anything. You could have heard Menard spin out now! & Nascar wouldnt have changed anything. Doesnt matter if the Winner intentionally wrecks the leader for the win. Doesnt matter if they find the winning car to be illegal. They dont ever change anything after the day of racing. Ever! At any track we have ever had a car at if a car is illegal, they forfeit money & points. Nascar says dont do that again & gives them the trophy. I also find it funny when they levy a 50k fine to a team that just won 6 figures for cheating LOL.

With all that said, I wasnt talking about a spinning team car, since we would never be able to actually prove it was on purpose. (especially if it were Dale JR LOL)
but if a team car slows down obviously coming to the checkers to allow their chase teammate cross 1st, like I have a seen on a few occasions. That is what I wonder what the opinions of you guys are. Not what you think Nascars opinion would be. (especially if it happened more than once in the chase)
ImageImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing