FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Jeff Gordon questions last caution, calls it "fishy"

<<

jamo14

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:27 pm

Jeff Gordon questions last caution, calls it "fishy"

CHICAGO -- Four-time Sprint Cup champion Jeff Gordon says there is something "fishy'' about Saturday night's final caution at Richmond International Raceway that opened the door for Kevin Harvick to win.

Gordon implied after the race that Paul Menard, Harvick's teammate at Richard Childress Racing, spun out intentionally with 16 laps to go to bring out the caution.

Harvick then beat Gordon off pit road and maintained the lead after the final restart with 12 laps remaining. He went on to earn his fourth race win of the season, denying Gordon a fourth win that would have him tied with Kyle Busch for the points lead heading into Sunday's Chase for the Sprint Cup opener at Chicagoland Speedway.

Gordon, having since been told of Menard's radio communication, did not back down from his position on Thursday in Chicago as the 12 Chase drivers gathered at a downtown club for a news conference. He also has addressed it with NASCAR president Mike Helton.

Gordon said from what he's been told of the radio communications between Menard, crew chief Slugger Labbe and RCR executive Mike Dillon there is reason to believe the spinout was orchestrated on a second channel.

"What I heard was something about some communication about needing a caution, not needing a caution, and then they were giving the gaps between me and the 29 car, the distance as I closed in,'' Gordon said. "I think after I passed them and they said something and Paul asked, 'Do you need the caution? Don't need the caution?'

"Then they said, 'Go to channel 2,' and then they spun out.''

NASCAR officials did not have an immediate response to Gordon's comments.

"You do whatever you can as a team to win, win races, win championships, and if any of that is true of what's being speculated right now, all I have can say is I've lost a lot of respect for Paul Menard if that's the case,'' Gordon said.

"But I don't want to blame him for any of that if it's not true. He might have just lost it off of turn four and caution came out. But when you listen to the radio, and I've had other people translate it to me, it sounds a little fishy.''

After the race, the following entry appeared on the Twitter page of T.J. Majors, Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s spotter: "Pretty disappointed if I saw what I think I saw to bring out last caution. Will have to see replay.''

RCR officials declined to comment on the matter. Harvick said he asked officials within the organization about the incident after accusations began flying and was told the right rear tire on Menard's car was "down to the cords.''

Menard said on the radio the tire was going down with 17 laps to go.

"Obviously, when a situation like that happens, that's going to be the first thing that people migrate to,'' Harvick said of Gordon's accusation of team orders. "That's really all I know about the whole thing. ... I asked what the deal was and that was the answer I received.''

Harvick said he wasn't upset about the allegations.

"They can come over and look at the trophy if they want,'' he jokingly said. "There's 10 times during the race that you could say that the Hendrick cars were spinning people out or doing what they had to do to keep Dale Jr. on the lead lap.

"You could make the same allegations throughout the whole race that they were trying to help him do the same thing, stay in the lead lap and get in the Chase.''

Responded Gordon, "When has that ever happened? We've never done anything to try to get Junior on the lead lap, if he was down a lap, to my knowledge.''

The controversy led to several drivers speculating on whether team orders would be a factor in the 10-race Chase.

"It always comes up,'' Harvick said. "It came up last year with myself and Kyle (Busch), I felt like he was doing what he had to do and Mark (Martin) was doing what he had to do to help Jimmie (Johnson).

"Guys, you feel like they race you different than they have all year just because of their teammates racing for the championship. It's not going to be anything different this year. ... It's always going to be a constant debate of the way it all goes down and who it is. You could argue it over every year.''

Carl Edwards agreed.

"I think any team would ... do whatever they have to do that's best for their team,'' he said. "You might see more of that stuff happen. If there's an opportunity to get an advantage, I'm sure people would do it.''

David Newton covers NASCAR for ESPN.com. He can be reached at dnewtonespn@aol.com.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

jamo14

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:39 pm

Re: Jeff Gordon questions last caution, calls it "fishy"

an interesting topic to think about, and to watch for during the back-half of the Chase.

I don't buy into the joonya thing, never have....him not making the chase all these years (and pretty much sucking) throws that out the window.

good thing is, the points have shrunk, so Gordon didn't take a huge hit.
Paul Menrad is in his 1st year with RCR, so he pretty much has to go along to get along.

the one driver who does know what team orders are all about is JPM, who came from F1 (not same team, but a satellite team of RCR), and I think crashed near the same time as Menard.

I could see Roush doing something like that too, if the situation called for it.

I don't see Tony or Ryan doing that....they race each other hard, and make it difficult for others to pass without ever needing to rub fenders to do it (esp Ryan)

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:46 pm

Driver Tony Stewart said he hoped nothing was amiss in the way the final laps went down at Richmond.

"I'll be honest, I don't even want to think about it," Stewart said. "I don't even want to think about it happening because I pride myself on racing the guys and everybody racing everybody fair. I hope we never have to worry about that."
ImageImageImage
<<

tlmerk

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm impressed with Tony's response. I like what he said and how he said it. Not too much info but letting your opinion be known on the subject. I also can't see him expecting Ryan or Danica or ?? to basically cheat for him to get ahead. I think that's crap. I can see giving someone a chance to lead a lap but that's about it. But that's just my opinion.

I think if they're stupid enough to discuss it on the radio though.... they should at least use a code. If PM really said, "Do you want a caution or not want a caution?" I mean...really? LOL. I think JG is a whiner and my first response was to call him a cry baby but I'm not in his shoes at that point in the season or the race. MMmm.. interesting subject.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:29 pm

The same time the #42 blew out and shredded a tire down the front stretch.The surprise is even if they had done it intentionally,there shouldn't be any noise from the HMS camp,as they and a few others have done simular over the years.The only thing i can say is,Jeffs' pit crew should have got him out faster. :mrgreen: ANOTHER REASON I DON'T LIKE MULTI-CAR TEAMS!
<<

austin024

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:46 am

I would like to know why people thinks he is a whiner

I am who I am, If you dont like me. You Can kiss my ####
<<

tlmerk

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:59 am

Austin, are you joking? That boy has been whining since he came out of the womb! LOL

Don't get me wrong, I think he is extremely talented and I even select him to win sometimes but having followed his career (and having met 2 people who have known him in his younger racing days who both said he is the biggest prima donna whine baby), I have always thought he was a whiner, kind of like JPM or a few others. That's just my opinion but I've heard many others who feel the same way. Maybe it's his voice or prissy kind of persona that makes me call it whining rather than complaining or #### like some other drivers do??? IDK
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:49 pm

and nascar is gonna review it, but don't foresee them penalizing anyone.

however, for the 2nd straight year, RCR does something completely stupid at/ near Chase time....thus putting heat on its own team at the worst possible time.
I swear RCR takes stupid pills.

<<

smokieonefour

Post Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:18 pm

I'm sorry, correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't there a team owner / driver convo on radio's about causing a caution in Talladega Nights? LOL

I don't think (and haven't thought for years now ) that some things that happen in NASCAR are indeed "accidents" or "pure co-incidence" or "weird how that happened" anymore.

It kind of reminds me of getting fired for being to fat. Everyone knows it... "now go and prove it in a court of law. Oh, and Good luck!" ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

dirt93

Post Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:24 pm

I heard the radio chatter it makes it hard for me not wonder about the whole thing. Kinda sad if it was done on purpose.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:27 am

Sad to say, but I believe it was done on purpose too since you can't get away with cheating with this or that hidden in the cars or something not quite the right size or something altered that isn't checked hardly. Get 'em any way you can is what they're thinking.

As we stand right now, Kyle & Harvick are tied for 1st place with 2012 each.
Gordon is 2009 in 3rd.
Kenseth is 2006 in 4th.
Edwards, Johnson & Kurt Busch are in a 3 way tie (5-6-7) with 2003 points each.
Tony, Dale Jr, Brad & Denny are in a 4 way tie with 2000 points each (8-9-10-11)

Harvick has 4 wins to Gordon's 3 wins.
Kyle also has 4 wins.
Kenseth has 2 wins.
Edwards, JOhnson, & Kurt have one win each.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

tonysgirl14

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:45 am

nothing new about that it happens a lot but it goes no where
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:02 am

every driver in nascar pisses and moans when things dont go their way.. gordon had the right to ask if that really happened and even harvick said jeff didnt make a big deal out of it, and had every right to ask that question...........
<<

cslonewolf

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Smoke14Wins wrote:Sad to say, but I believe it was done on purpose too since you can't get away with cheating with this or that hidden in the cars or something not quite the right size or something altered that isn't checked hardly. Get 'em any way you can is what they're thinking.

Gordon is 2009 in 3rd.
Kenseth is 2006 in 4th.
Tony, Dale Jr, Brad & Denny are in a 4 way tie with 2000 points each (8-9-10-11)

Kyle also has 4 wins.
Kenseth has 2 wins.

Wow Ryan gets no love from the media and none on your breakdown Smoke lol..... You missed him twice.

Anyway I believe the whole thing was intentional, I heard the radio chatter on tv and I think Jeff has every right to be suspicious. That and I can't friggin stand Harvick and I would rather see just about anybody else getting a win ha ha.
"He makes me look thinner" Tony on why he picked Ryan to be his team mate. bet he's gonna enjoy his fair share of Krissie's cookies every weekend lol
SMOKE'N ROCKETS
GO #39 U.S ARMY CHEVROLET
GO RYAN
GO SMOKE,
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:24 pm

cslonewolf wrote:
Smoke14Wins wrote:Sad to say, but I believe it was done on purpose too since you can't get away with cheating with this or that hidden in the cars or something not quite the right size or something altered that isn't checked hardly. Get 'em any way you can is what they're thinking.

Gordon is 2009 in 3rd.
Kenseth is 2006 in 4th.

Kyle also has 4 wins.
Kenseth has 2 wins.

Wow Ryan gets no love from the media and none on your breakdown Smoke lol..... You missed him twice.

Anyway I believe the whole thing was intentional, I heard the radio chatter on tv and I think Jeff has every right to be suspicious. That and I can't friggin stand Harvick and I would rather see just about anybody else getting a win ha ha.

LOL I was just gonna post the same thing. Everyone over looks Ryan, The media other drivers, & even posters on the SHR board. Man I hope he makes a strong run for the chase to remind them of the apparent ultimate Underdog! Funny I saw an interview with ryan I think during the rain delay. He mentioned that he hasnt even heard his name come up when they talk about the chase & hasnt really done any interviews. Then just smiled & basically said He liked it that way.
but I wasnt expecting an SHR fan to forget he was in the chase LOL
He is like Rodney Dangerfield, gets no respect :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing