FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony wants another driver:

<<

awsum14

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:30 am

Tony wants another driver:

Now that Tony Stewart has signed Danica Patrick to drive for Stewart-Haas Racing next year, he is looking for another driver to run some more races for the organization’s new third team.

Patrick will compete in 8 to 10 Sprint Cup events for Stewart-Haas while also driving a full-time Nationwide schedule for JR Motorsports with sponsorship from GoDaddy.com.

Stewart would like to find another driver and sponsor to fill the rest of the 36-race schedule for the new team.

“If we can put together a package to run somebody in the rest of the races, we would love to do that,” Stewart said. “It’s in everybody’s best interest to do that and I know it would be good for us as a team to run that car full time next year if that opportunity presents itself.”

Patrick’s Cup schedule is still to be determined, including whether the 29-year-old IndyCar star will run the Daytona 500.

“We’re working on her schedule, … but right now we’ve got a lot of things to work on,” he said. “We’ve got a lot of stuff to do [to start a third team]. There’s a lot of stuff not done yet.”

As far as what her Cup schedule should look like, JRM Motorsports co-owner Dale Earnhardt Jr. said he is staying out of that. Patrick indicated Thursday that she would like to make her Cup debut in the Daytona 500.

“She is old enough and been racing long enough to make good choices and whatever choice she makes will be a good one,” Earnhardt Jr. said. “I think Daytona would be a tough deal to turn down. It’s obviously probably the biggest race of the season.

“It’s the best opportunity to secure sponsorship dollars at that level. I’m sure that will be something that they look at. We are just focusing on how we can help her in the Nationwide Series.”

Patrick has competed part-time in the Nationwide Series the last two seasons with JR Motorsports. She has three top-10 finishes in 20 starts, all of them coming this year with a career-best of fourth at Las Vegas.

There was some speculation that Patrick might just try to run Cup in 2012, but for her development it was decided she needed another year in Nationwide.

“The way it’s laid out is a really good schedule,” Stewart said. “For her to be in a stock car every week is going to be great for her, it’s going to be a great experience. To run her in the amount of races we’re going to run her in will be good to get her ready for Cup in 2013.”

Earnhardt Jr. also said he would have no problem if the schedule works out for her to compete in the Indianapolis 500.

“She can do whatever she wants to do, it doesn’t matter to me,” Earnhardt Jr. said. “If I had any experience in those cars, I might know a little bit more about the answer. But, whatever she feels like she wants to do, she ought to do it.”

Both of her car owners obviously are happy with Patrick’s decision to join their teams as part of her full-time move to NASCAR, which was announced Thursday.

“I’m excited about it,” Stewart said. “She’s putting 100 percent into it. She is definitely deserving of an opportunity like this and we’re excited and honored that she chose us to do it with.”

Earnhardt Jr. believes Patrick’s decision will have an impact on the ability of other female drivers to break into NASCAR’s top series.

“She has shown to be a tough racer and a marketing machine,” Earnhardt Jr. said. “She is really savvy and I think she just opened the door to a lot more opportunities for other women, regardless of whether she measures up to everybody’s expectations or not.”

Those expectations will be high.

“I really don’t know how its going to affect our entire organization,” said SHR driver Ryan Newman. “But obviously there is a lot of hype around it and we have seen around other areas of the sport with a lot of hype there can be much disappointment, so it’s something that I think we are all looking forward to just the experience of working with her.

“I am sure there are times where Stewart is going to tell her what to do and there are times where she might tell us what to do. There are different ways of looking at it communication-wise, marketing-wise, team-wise.”

Any volunteers.....
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

jsw14

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Re: Tony wants another driver:

I realy don't think Danica know's what she's in for next year :roll: :roll:
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image "STAND UP FOR TONY & SHR"
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:40 pm

Danica's learning curve may or may not be that hard. It just depends how she gets along with the other drivers. I'm sure she's aware no one is going to pull over and let her drive by. She will be the one with the rookie stripes and believe me the other drivers know what that means.I hope she does well and that the other womens who desire a chance will be able to get it. I just hope Go Daddy.com tones down advertising and let everyone know they are sponsoring a race car driver and not something else. I know very well sex sells but NASCAR is not the place to do it. That would be Victoria's Secret.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:47 pm

I think her problem will be contact. She acts like every time she gets a bump or a scratch on her car that it is on purpose, & she always looks to retaliate. If she doesnt change that way of thinking she wont be finishing a lot of races.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Tony's 4 driver picks of his choice in order:

1. Mark Martin

2. Brian Vickers

3. Case Mears

4. Bobby Labonte

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_tuttle/08/31/who.will.drive.third.stewart.haas.car.2012/
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:43 pm

Smoke14Wins wrote:Tony's 4 driver picks of his choice in order:

1. Mark Martin

2. Brian Vickers

3. Case Mears

4. Bobby Labonte

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/tim_tuttle/08/31/who.will.drive.third.stewart.haas.car.2012/

actually if Vickers doesnt find a full time ride next year I would think he would be perfect.
ImageImageImage
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:36 pm

Bring in Casey Mears...let Darian have that team, Darian was CC when Casey won the 600 in '07. This would free up Bootie Barker for Tony's team.......................... 8-) 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

jsw14

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:36 pm

If SHR has it's eye on a good driver, Tony will have to DIG hard to find a sponsor :(
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image "STAND UP FOR TONY & SHR"
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:00 pm

Why not use Martin ?? He's already a "GoDaddy" guy and won't have a ride next year. He'd be a good teacher for Danica. There IS the possibility tho' that he'll be one of the ownership group that may end up buying Red Bull's assets and keeping them racing, so therefor he WON'T be available. It'll all come around, we'll just have to wait and see I s'pose. :?
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:11 pm

Jennifer Jo Cobb-i love her! :mrgreen:
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:18 pm

wolfgang wrote:Jennifer Jo Cobb-i love her! :mrgreen:

yeah & we can bring in the other chick that spun out all the time at montreal. 3 women, we could build a huge circus then.

but then again Tony said he wanted the car in the top 35 in points, & this would not accomplish this.
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 pm

hey get Terry to run some of the schedule (like the 1st 5 races) would be cool to see Terry in some decent equipment again.
ImageImageImage
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
wolfgang wrote:Jennifer Jo Cobb-i love her! :mrgreen:

yeah & we can bring in the other chick that spun out all the time at montreal. 3 women, we could build a huge circus then.

but then again Tony said he wanted the car in the top 35 in points, & this would not accomplish this.

Says who? :mrgreen: I love the circus,we are already gonna have Danica,seven years and one win and Jennifer least got her first top five in junk before Danica did in top end equiptment.Ok half the field was already out,but it still counts.
Last edited by wolfgang on Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:36 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:hey get Terry to run some of the schedule (like the 1st 5 races) would be cool to see Terry in some decent equipment again.

Would take Terry over Martin anyday!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:40 pm

go daddy isnt going to sponsor 3 cars next yr, ryan doesnt even have sponsors locked up for next yr, they should not bite of more than they can chew, leave it pt, if danica gets in great, if not, oh well.. i personally would rather stay in the NW series, make her earn the right to race a cup race, and im a danica fan, this is why i like rickey carmichael, he put his ego aside and started from the bottom, he didnt go to the next level just because he had a top 5, he is putting his dues in, and i like that.
I will miss you Frehley........
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing