FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kyle Busch due in court on charges from joy ride

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Kyle Busch due in court on charges from joy ride

By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer
Aug. 23, 2011

STATESVILLE, N.C. (AP)—NASCAR points leader Kyle Busch was due in court Tuesday afternoon to face charges stemming from a high-speed joy ride in a luxury car.

Busch was charged May 24 with driving 128 mph in a 45 mph zone in a bright yellow 2012 Lexus. The hand-built LFA sports car is valued at nearly $400,000 and was on loan to Busch from Lexus. He was cited for careless and reckless driving, as well as speeding.

There was a murmur in North Carolina District Court in Iredell County on Tuesday morning when Busch’s name was called by assistant district attorney Josh Green. The NASCAR star was not present and was expected to appear before District Court Judge H. Thomas Church after the lunch break.

Busch is coming off his Sprint Cup series-best fourth victory at Michigan on Sunday, and he holds a 10-point lead over five-time defending NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson in the standings. His next scheduled race is Wednesday’s Trucks Series event at Bristol, where he’s the defending winner of Saturday night’s Cup race.

Spanning all three of NASCAR’s national series, Busch has won the last five events at Bristol and was likely eager to get past the court date and back to the track.

Busch, who told the deputy who pulled him over the Lexus was “just a toy,” has apologized for the ride and chalked it up as a “lack of judgment.” He and his wife, Samantha, were in the car when he was pulled over on the two-lane road in an area near a subdivision, a day-care center and a church.

“I’m certainly sorry that it happened,” he said in a media session two days after the incident that showed he realized the flippancy of his “just a toy” remark.

“It wasn’t a toy, it’s a high-performance vehicle. It should be driven with caution. Obviously, I didn’t have caution and I had a lack of judgment,” he said.

“There’s probably reason why on the TV commercials that they always show at the bottom, ‘Professional driver, closed course.’ Mine was not that. Again, I apologize sincerely. All I can do is make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Since then, Busch has announced he’ll participate in the teen safe-driving program B.R.A.K.E.S., which was developed by drag racer Doug Herbert.

Herbert’s two sons were killed in a 2008 accident attributed to speeding, and the drag racer established the “Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe” program to teach teenagers safety behind the wheel.

Busch agreed to sponsor 300 students in the program, as well as participate in some of the sessions.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:12 pm

Re: Kyle Busch due in court on charges from joy ride

suspended license for 45 days.....
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:51 pm

If he needs to go anywhere...he can call me, I'll drive that boy anywhere!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Kyle Busch pleads guilty to speeding
By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

STATESVILLE, N.C. (AP)—NASCAR points leader Kyle Busch lost his driver’s license for 45 days on Tuesday for driving 128 mph on a road close to a day-care center and church in a nearly $400,000 car. His lawyer said his client was not treated “like any other citizen.”

Busch, who doesn’t need a license to compete in NASCAR, also was fined $1,000, sentenced to 30 hours of community service and put on one year of unsupervised probation. He pleaded guilty to speeding and no contest to reckless and careless driving in North Carolina District Court in Iredell County.

Busch addressed the court before his sentencing by District Court Judge H. Thomas Church, apologizing again for driving 128 mph in a 45 mph zone in a bright yellow 2012 Lexus on May 24.

“I think you’ll be different in the future,” Church said.

“I sure will, your honor,” Busch replied.

Busch and his wife, Samantha, were in the car when he was pulled over on a two-lane road in an area near a subdivision, a day-care center and a church. The hand-built LFA sports car was on loan to Busch from Lexus for a 24-hour test drive.

Busch attorney Cliff Homesley argued that his client wasn’t being treated the same as other people in similar circumstances, citing a July case of a 21-year-old convicted felon who was caught doing 128 mph and received a $300 fine and no loss of license.

“In 25 years of practicing law I’ve never seen someone not being offered better than this,” Homesley argued before the court. “All I am asking is to treat Kyle Busch like any other citizen that appears before the court.”

Homesley, calling Busch one of the best drivers in the world, said: “He had full control of that vehicle at all times.

“That automobile in his hands was like a scalpel in the hands of a surgeon. Not a knife in the hands of a 5-year-old.”

Busch is coming off his Sprint Cup series-best fourth victory at Michigan on Sunday, and he holds a 10-point lead over five-time defending NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson in the standings. His next scheduled race is Wednesday’s Trucks Series event at Bristol, where he’s won the last five races spanning NASCAR’s top three national series.

“This is closure. That certainly was what we were looking for in this case,” Busch said outside the court. “We’ve had a lot of people stand behind me and we’ve gone through this is as diligent as we could, as respectful as we could, and that’s why I am here today in person to do it myself and to accept responsibility for my actions.

“Today’s done. We move on to tomorrow and try to go win a truck race at Bristol.”

Busch spoke only briefly outside court, where a hot dog vendor was set up roughly 100 feet away offering the “128 mph special.” Busch headed in opposite direction of the stand as he left with his attorney.

In court, Homesley admitted Busch passed three different patrol cars following one another as the deputies headed to lunch. The first clocked him at 128 mph, the second clocked him at 79 and the third at 59—numbers that proved Busch was in control of the car and able to slow it down quickly.

Busch did tell the deputy who pulled him over the Lexus was “just a toy,” a remark he backed away from while apologizing for the incident in in a media session two days later.

“I’m certainly sorry that it happened,” he said. “It wasn’t a toy, it’s a high-performance vehicle. It should be driven with caution. Obviously, I didn’t have caution and I had a lack of judgment.

“There’s probably reason why on the TV commercials that they always show at the bottom, ‘Professional driver, closed course.’ Mine was not that. Again, I apologize sincerely. All I can do is make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Busch will do his community service with the teen safe-driving program B.R.A.K.E.S., which was developed by drag racer Doug Herbert.

Herbert’s two sons were killed in a 2008 accident attributed to speeding, and the drag racer established the “Be Responsible And Keep Everyone Safe” program to teach teenagers safety behind the wheel.

Busch agreed to sponsor 300 students in the program, as well as participate in some of the sessions. He’ll have to do at least 30 hours as part of his sentence.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Tinker

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:51 pm

He's lucky...around here even if you're 20 over you go jail and they yank your license. Good luck getting it back, too.

It happened to a former co-worker about 13 years ago. He was 20 over and that was it. No alcohol or drugs to blame...just in a hurry to get nowhere. Now he has to ride the local transit or get a ride from friends to work or the grocery store.
“Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.” ~ John Wayne
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Tinker wrote:He's lucky...around here even if you're 20 over you go jail and they yank your license. Good luck getting it back, too.

It happened to a former co-worker about 13 years ago. He was 20 over and that was it. No alcohol or drugs to blame...just in a hurry to get nowhere. Now he has to ride the local transit or get a ride from friends to work or the grocery store.

Wow, that's harsh. No shot at redemption. I regularly drive over the limit. Around here you have to or you get run over. I just make sure I'm behind someone going faster.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:50 pm

On our freeways and highways... I'm one of the nerds doing the speed limit and getting left behind like a "go-or-go-homer! LOL ( and yeah Tinker, I agree... you CAN get run over out there, just doing the speed limit! LOL )

I actually received another jerk's speeding ticket ( by the time the cop turned around and caught up, the speeding car was long gone and guess who was just loping along at the speed limit? ) It surprises me that Kyle did not get fined any larger, because it seems law enforcement is padding themselves with all kinds of high fines for small mistakes.

The local law enforcements are also changing into "catholic penitence machines" it seems. "Oh you're a carpenter? Community service = fixing up the court house / YMCA, etc." Oh you groom dogs? Your comm sentence is grooming the police dogs. Oh you sew? Your sentence is sewing sponsored little league team T-shirts. Oh you're a big time NASCAR driver? Your sentence is teaching little kids to slow down. Jeepers... can't we just have a certain fine / time served for all? ? ?

P.S. To this day.... NO ONE can convince me that Kyle was not showing off, for Sam. ;-) hee hee hee
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:47 pm

I HATE SPEED LIMITS and what i hate most are those who can't at least DO THE :x SPEED LIMIT!
Junior Johnson/Cale Yarborough/Dale Earnhardt Snr./DougWolfgang
Ron Hornady/Kevin Harvick/Brad Keselowski/Sammy Swindell
Kyle Larson and Ryan Blaney!
<<

duffygoofy

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:53 pm

wolfgang wrote:I HATE SPEED LIMITS and what i hate most are those who can't at least DO THE :x SPEED LIMIT!

So true wolf.
ImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing