FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

PIR Testing

<<

azk8ster

Post Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:08 pm

PIR Testing

Tuesday, Oct 4th testing of the new track surface at Phoenix will be free and open to the public 8am-5pm! Wednesday testing will be for media only....boo!

Gotta get my schedule request in, woo hoo!
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

dirt93

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:10 pm

Re: PIR Testing

Dang it.. that would be super cool to go... Have fun!
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Sweeeet!

Have my tickets for the Nov. race but would love a sneek peak at the new surface. Tuesday's aren't usually good for me but I just checked the calendar and that's my smallest payroll week so count me in! The track is only a half hour from my house.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40 pm

Yay, testing is tomorrow at PIR. Weather should be good and it says we can get in the infield and sneak a peak at the garages. Should be fun. Oh, also, Kyle will be doing a Q&A in victory lane. That could be interesting, I think it's at 9:30. I'll try to take some pics. I say try cause the camera and I don't get along so well. I guess I'm "camera challenged".
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

azk8ster

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:28 pm

Was only able to stay for only an hour, got called away for a minor family emergency.... but at least i was there! really nice turnout, i was surprised by the number of people there.

The entire track surface was elevated, my sister and i were in row 12 and could see the entire track! with the old layout, you couldn't see the dogleg/backstretch from there. pit road is lower than the racing surface, so pit stops might be a little harder to watch from the lower rows. one definite racing groove. i didn't see much, if any, variations of getting around the track no matter who was out there.

i wonder if at any point they will do (or maybe they did and i missed them?) some simulated restarts? everyone went way low and slow into turn one, then blasted out up into the dogleg/turn 2. if they're not able to get a second groove rubbered in, turn one is going to be an adventure!

it rained like h3ll tonight, so the track is gonna be green and pristine for wednesday's test!
<<

A2Zmama

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:21 pm

Looks like nice weather down there right now. Spent 20 yrs baking my brains out down there, but Phx is one of the tracks I'd really like to visit (it's where I went to my only race many years ago). Might just have to make that a priority now :D
Just because I'm a family raising, meal cooking homemaking wonder, doesn't mean I'm a desperate housewife.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:01 pm

I was there for a little under 3 hours. It was strange to have all the gates and everything wide open. There is definately 1 groove but they're supposed to put soft tires on the driving school cars and rubber up the track before the Nov. race. The drivers are all saying they don't want to be on the outside of a start/restart... lol
I do like the wider front stretch and pit road is better too, but I don't know about the banking. They definately shoot up the track coming out of turn 2 and then dart back down. They were all running the same line so I think PIR's thinking that the banking would give them another groove is not panning out. At least until it weathers a bit. But here in Phoenix, everything weathers quickly with our 6 month long summers. It was windy yesterday but I got out of there before it really started blowing. I had a great time but I walked around the track at least twice so my leges were really tired. Didn't get very many pics cause my stupid camera batteries ran low. They had a couple of the fuel injected cars testing there, one from MWR and the other was a Hendrick car. I didn't notice anything different with the EFI cars. They ran the same as the carburated cars. Ugh, I did get stuck standing next to this girl on the pedestrian bridge that kept yelling "joonya", stupidly thinking he could actually hear her above all the noise in the garage area. Every time she yelled, I just shook my head and looked the other way and the guy standing next to me on the other side would just crack up. This other lady was standing against the fence where they came from the garage onto pit road and she was holding a huge 48 beach towel in front of her and screamed "Jimmie" every time he came through there. There were a lot of entertaining moments. I've got my tickets and I'm looking forward to the race.
<<

azk8ster

Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:04 pm

Hey Rochelle, that was ME on the pedestrian bridge, cut me some slack!

just kidding!

Keselowski was also in an EFI car for a bit, the "blue deuce" was out, then lo and behold out came another 2car, then the deuce again.
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:18 pm

azk8ster wrote:Hey Rochelle, that was ME on the pedestrian bridge, cut me some slack!

just kidding!

Keselowski was also in an EFI car for a bit, the "blue deuce" was out, then lo and behold out came another 2car, then the deuce again.

haha I didn't know you were a "joonya" fan... lol

I saw the 2 car a few times but I didn't notice the EFI Dodge. It was a fun day and I can't wait for the race.

Return to NASCAR & Racing