Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Post a reply

Dollansky wins WoO show-Schatz 2nd

Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:07 pm

Published June 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
Dollansky wins WoO show

No matter the track conditions, Craig Dollansky doesn’t mind racing at the River Cities Speedway. Dollansky’s opinion of RCS probably improved some more Friday night when the Elk River, Minn., driver won the 40-lap World of Outlaws feature before approximately 4,000 fans.
By: Wayne Nelson, Grand Forks Herald

Donny Schatz

Donny Schatz streaks past the grandstand during a heet race Friday night. Herald photo by John Stennes.
No matter the track conditions, Craig Dollansky doesn’t mind racing at the River Cities Speedway.

Dollansky’s opinion of RCS probably improved some more Friday night when the Elk River, Minn., driver won the 40-lap World of Outlaws feature before approximately 4,000 fans.

“It was a beautiful track,” Dollansky said. “It had a top groove and a bottom groove and there is nothing wrong with a little bit of speed, too. Fans like to see that.”

Dollansky had the speed to grab the lead from Bill Rose with 22 laps to go. Dollansky passed Rose on the low side of the track as both came out of Turn 2.

Rose, who started on the pole, nearly pulled off a surprising win. The Indiana driver hasn’t run up front much with the Outlaws during his first full season with the country’s best sprint drivers.

But he was strong throughout.

Rose finished third, as Donny Schatz grabbed the runner-up spot late in the race.

It was an outing Rose hopes to use as momentum.

“I’d definitely rather be standing where Craig is,” Rose said, pointing to Dollansky in Victory Lane. “But we’re getting closer.”

Lapped traffic helped Dollansky pass Rose.

“It got me messed up a bit,” Rose said of the traffic. “But Craig was a little bit better than I was. We had a good car all night. It rotated nice and the motor was good.

“This was the first time I’ve seen this track, and it’s a nice little track.”

Dollansky, however, is no stranger to RCS. He’s run hundreds of laps on the track.

Once he grabbed the lead, he opened a comfortable cushion and didn’t have to battle heavy lapped traffic.

“I was working the car low and high, depending on where the lapped cars were,” Dollansky said. “I just tried to go in the opposite direction. I felt I was handling traffic pretty good.”

It was Dollansky’s third win of the season.

“To win on this tour, it’s a total team effort,” Dollansky said.

And the win was special for Dollansky. “Definitely, this is one of my favorite tracks, no matter how it is,” Dollansky said. “There are a lot of great fans up here.”

The Outlaws completed their feature around 9:30 p.m. As officials pushed the show along under threatening skies.

There were only two yellow flags in the feature, one early in the race for Chris Shirek and the other for Mark Dobmeier with four laps to go. Dobmeier, who started ninth, blew a left rear tire. He finished 15th and was the final car on the lead lap.

Jason Meyers set the quick time during qualifying, turning the best lap in 9.681 seconds. The California driver set track record in 2009 with a 9.269.

Dollansky started third in the 24-car field. Steve Kinser, the 20-time WoO champion, finished fourth followed by Joey Saldana.

In the late model division, Winnipeg’s Mike Balcaen captured the 20-lap feature. Troy Schill was second followed by Joey Pederson.

Late in the race, Brandon Burke flipped his car off the back straightaway. He was not injured.

The Outlaws are scheduled to race again tonight at RCS to wrap up their Duel in the Dakotas.

AUTO RACING

River Cities Speedway

World of Outlaw sprints

Qualifying

1. Jason Meyers 9.681; 2. Donny Schatz 9.719; 3. Craig Dollansky 9.745; 4. Cody Darrah 9.756; 5. Sammy Swindell 9.778; 6. Paul McMahan 9.778; 7. Kerry Madsen 9.779; 8. Jason Sides 9.780; 9. Steve Kinser 9.813; 10. Bill Rose 9.820; 11. Joey Saldana 9.824; 12. Kevin Swindell 9.837; 13. Kraig Kinser 9.841; 14. Brooke Tatnell 9.864; 15. Lucas Wolfe 9.865; 16. Mark Dobmeier 9.878; 17. Casey Mack 9.909; 18. Chad Kemenah 9.953; 19. Austin Pierce 10.124; 20. Chris Shirek 10.154; 21. Bob Martin 10.263; 22. Mitch Mack 10.402; 23. Todd Michelson 10.424; 24. Shane Roemeling 10.454; 25. Nick Shirek 10.477; 26. Kohlan Fedyk 10.522

First heat

1. S. Kinser, 2. K. Kinser, 3. Meyers

Second heat

1. Tatnell, 2. Rose, 3. Schatz

Third heat

1. Saldana, 2. Dollansky, 3. Wolfe

Fourth heat

1. Dobmeier, 2. K. Swindell, 3. Sides

Dash

1. Rose, 2. Saldana, 3. Dollansky, 4. S. Kinser, 5. Schatz, 6. Meyers, 7. K. Kinser, 8. Tatnell, 9. Dobmeier, 10. K. Swindell

B-Main

1. C. Mack, 2. M. Mack, 3. Glennon, 4. N. Shirek

Feature

Dollansky, 2. Schatz, 3. Rose, 4. S. Kinser, 5. Saldana, 6. Meyers, 7. Tatnell, 8. Madsen, 9. K. Kinser, 10. McMahan, 11. S. Swindell, 12. K. Swindell, 13. Wolfe, 14. Sides, 15. Dobmeier, 16. C. Mack, 17. Kimenah, 18. M. Mack, 19. C. Shirek, 20. Darrah, 21. Pierce, 22. Martin, 23. N. Shirek, 24. Glennon

Late models

First heat

1. Cody Skytland, Fargo; 2. Dustin Hapka, GF; 3. Mike Balcaen, Wpg

Second heat

1. Tom Thompson, Brainerd; 2. Troy Schill, GF; 3. Ricky Weiss, Wpg

Third heat

1. Steve Anderson, GF; 2. Steve Peiffer, Minot; 3. Stefen Snare, Hallock

Feature

1. Balcaen, 2. Schill; 3. Joey Pederson, EGF; 4. Brad Seng, GF; 5. Skytland
Post a reply