Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Post a reply

Twin 275s

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:32 am

wish I still had my satellite for just one more day :cry:

I always love watching the indycar races at Texas, gonna have to go to one someday.

30 entries
qualifying for the 1st race will be by speed, the 2nd race will be by a random draw.

it'll be under the lights on Saturday night

Last time open wheel did twin races, I was 5 years old.

Here's a list of all the twin races they did in the 60s and 70s:

Indy car racing doubleheaders with race winners
USAC sanction
July 1, 1967: Mosport, Canada (road course; Bobby Unser and Bobby Unser)
Aug. 6, 1967: St. Jovite, Canada (road course; Mario Andretti and Mario Andretti)
June 15, 1968: Mosport, Canada (road course; Dan Gurney and Dan Gurney)
July 21, 1968: Indianapolis Raceway Park (road course; Al Unser and Al Unser)
July 28, 1968: Langhorne, Pa. (Al Unser and Al Unser)
Aug. 4, 1968: St. Jovite, Canada (road course; Mario Andretti and Mario Andretti)
July 27, 1969: Indianapolis Raceway Park (road course; Dan Gurney and Peter Revson)
Sept. 14, 1969: Brainard, Minn. (road course; Gordon Johncock and Dan Gurney)
Oct. 19, 1969: Kent, Wash. (road course; Mario Andretti and Al Unser)
Feb. 28, 1971: Rafaela, Argentina (Al Unser and Al Unser)
April 15, 1973: Trenton, N.J. (A.J. Foyt and Mario Andretti)
Sept. 16, 1973: Michigan International (Billy Vukovich and Johnny Rutherford)
Sept. 22, 1974: Trenton, N.J. (A.J. Foyt and Bobby Unser)

CART sanction
April 22, 1979: Atlanta (Johnny Rutherford and Johnny Rutherford)
June 10, 1979: Trenton, N.J. (Bobby Unser and Bobby Unser)
July 15, 1979: Michigan International (Gordon Johncock and Bobby Unser)
June 28, 1981: Atlanta (Rick Mears and Rick Mears)

Re: Twin 275s

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:38 am

here's the article about it:

The IZOD IndyCar Series has raced at the Fort Worth facility 21 times, including twice in the same season seven times, since the racetrack opened in 1997. The Firestone Twin 275s will be the first doubleheader on the same day under INDYCAR sanction.

“You have to love the open-mindedness of the INDYCAR officials for randomly selecting the starting lineup of the second Firestone Twin 275,” Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage said. “It guarantees a real jumble, an incredible shootout in the second race. Different strategies are going to be employed for each race. What a night of racing this will be.”

There were 17 doubleheaders (nine on ovals) under USAC and CART sanction from 1967-81, with a driver sweeping both races 10 times. The grid for the second race was determined by finishing order in the first contest in all 17 events.

Bobby Unser remembers winning both ends of the Indy car doubleheader in June 1979 at Trenton, N.J., while prevailing in the second of twin 126-mile races five weeks later at Michigan International was particularly memorable to the three-time Indianapolis 500 champion.

“It’s two completely different races, which is exciting for the drivers and fans,” Unser said. “It was like a trophy dash; just run like heck for however many miles it was and then come in and redo the car.”

On July 15, 1979, at the 2-mile Michigan International Speedway, Unser started from the pole and led eight of the first 21 laps in the first of the Norton Twin 125s before the Penske Norton Spirit PC-9 blew an engine.

“There wasn’t much time between races,” Unser said. “In our particular case, we had to change the engine so the mechanics had to really work fast.”

Starting 18th of 21 in the second race, Unser worked his way to the front and led the final 35 laps. Tom Sneva finished second and Al Unser third. Gordon Johncock, who won the first race and started from the pole in the second, finished fourth.

“I just had to guess at everything, start the race and if it was OK then I guess I was pretty good,” Unser said. “I guess I was pretty good.”

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 am

"It's going to be flat out," said three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and 1980 CART Indy car champion Johnny Rutherford. "It's an exciting concept, and it was back when I won the races at Atlanta [a sweep in 1979].

Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:33 am

i was bummed to see they werent at Milwaukee last weekend.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 am

I've been lookin' forward to this. THough I prefer road racing in open wheel, this should be good racing. :D

Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:33 am

Sounded like a fun night of racing.
The 14 machine finished 8th in race 1, and 11th in race 2

Franchitti wasn't too pleased about where he started in race 2, he said a cuss word on the radio :shock:

2 races in a row where he makes backhanded comments about those who finished ahead of him :cry: (his teammate did too)
I guess they feel they are the only ones who deserve to win every week :lol:
I really think that attitude is gonna come back and bite em in the rear.
The competition is catching up with them pretty fast, maybe not in the sense of dominating races, but getting the wins at the end of races.
Franchitti forgets he secured the chapionship last year because of someone else's mishap on the last race of the year, near the end of the race.

Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:21 am

i knew something was on i forgot to watch, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr i hate when that happens,

Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:49 am

Hey MJ, I've heard that the memory is the first thing to go... I forget what the second thing is!?! :mrgreen:
Post a reply