FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Former QB Says Jimmie Johnson Not An Athlete

<<

jsw14

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am

Re: Former QB Says Jimmie Johnson Not An Athlete

Hmmmm, when I was young, I wanted to be a Baseball Star Athlete. But I ended up working to make a liveing. Now that I'm retired, I have Athlete's Feet. :roll: :roll: :roll: Does that count? :lol: :lol: :lol:
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:40 am

Sounds like it to me, j - you're an athlete in my book. Plus, golf in retirement counts, too! ;)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:14 pm

Johnson comments on McNabb's statement: On Friday, while discussing the most dominant athletes in sports, Donovan McNabb said NASCAR driver Jimmie Johnson wasn't an athlete. "He sits in a car and he drives," McNabb told Fox Sports. "That's not athletic. What athletically is he doing?" McNabb went on to rank Johnson third on his all-time list, behind Tiger Woods and Kobe Bryant. On Sunday night - after winning his sixth NASCAR championship in 8 years - Johnson addressed the situation in a Fox Sports interview. "Yes, I am an athlete, and so is every other driver in one of these race cars," said Johnson. "Even Tony Stewart." The Stewart reference was, of course, a joke. But Johnson found nothing funny about McNabb's comments. "I think it came from an uneducated frame of mind because he hasn't been to a race," Johnson said. "I did find it interesting that if I'm not athletic I'm still third on his list. So evidently I fall into athleticism somewhere."(Philadelphia Daily News)(11-20-2013)

and they say JJ doesnt have a sense of humor :lol: :lol:
<<

jsw14

Post Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:39 am

Hmmm, maybe McNabb thinks that JJ needs some Cheer Leaders for his Pit Crew, so JJ can be a True Athlete :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Wonder how long a race car driver would last a period in the NHL, how long during a Motorcross race, Boxing, canoe racing on white water, do they have auto racing in the Olympics? Sorry, I never bought it and still don't, especially today with power steering, radial tires, cold air boxes, ect. and to stay awake for four hours is in the fans athletic ability! :mrgreen:
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:09 pm

well it is proven JJ is a athlete, he is training for triathlons, you cant get more intense than that, 2 mile swim, 26 mile run, 116 mile bike ride,
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:21 pm

Why is it that a football player is an automatic athlete and some person who has won 6 championships has to prove that he isn't a couch potato? Perhap too much effort is out there as to who is and who isn't.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

azk8ster

Post Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm kind of convinced that a 350-pound lineman isn't exactly an athlete, he's more like a large obstacle with legs that he uses every once in a while
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Notice I didn't mention football? :mrgreen:
MJ, if JJ does all that, I consider him an athlete, but i'm willing to bet he is one of the few like Carl Edwards that could be considered a true athlete.
I'll be the first one to admit i'm not and haven't been since about a year after I got out of the military. What I will say is I work on class-8 trucks or eighteen wheelers as a tech and the younger guys can't keep up with me. Don't know if I could drive a Cup car, let alone NW car-that could be a maybe, but 25-30 laps in a Dirt Modified I could stil do that. ;)
The only training I do now is lifting beer. :lol:
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:05 am

wolf JJ does much if his weekend training with both kasey and casey mears, so they are out there, just wont get much attention for it as JJ would...
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 am

Will Donovan McNabb accept this racing challenge?

MILLVILLE, N.J. – Last week on Fox Sports 1, former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb riled NASCAR fans, and the motorsports community at-large, by saying drivers aren’t athletes.

McNabb was asked to rank the most dominant athletes over the last decade; when asked about now six-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson, he said “Do I think he’s an athlete? Absolutely not,” McNabb said.

“He’s not an athlete,” he continued. “[Johnson] sits and a car and drives. That’s not athletic. What athletically is he doing?”

Now, New Jersey Motorsports Park would like to offer McNabb a chance to experience the vocation first-hand, with a “Day in the Life” of a driver.

“We’d like to have Donovan visit NJMP and learn a bit about what goes into being a driver – the training, the skills necessary – just the whole package,” said Brad Scott, New Jersey Motorsports Park general manager/COO. “It’ll give him the opportunity to gain some first-hand experience as far as what being a driver is all about.”

The Park is looking to reach out to a member of McNabb’s representation team to discuss the potential experience.

New Jersey Motorsports Park, located in Millville, has hosted the Grand-Am Rolex Sportscar Series, GEICO Motorcycle AMA Pro Road Racing, and the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards. In addition to the two world-class road courses on the property, the renowned F1 Karting facility offers eight dramatic configurations, over a mile in total length.

:arrow: http://thatsracinluckydog.blogspot.com/ ... acing.html
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

jsw14

Post Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:46 am

I hope they make McNabb PAY $$$ for the experience too :twisted:
Image #SmokeWillRise
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:33 pm

the last comment i will make on this, and it will end the debate if the drivers are athletes.... in 2010 JJ was awarded the Associated Press Athlete of the Year, first driver ever to get such award, and im sure not the last...
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:26 pm

michaeljohn wrote:the last comment i will make on this, and it will end the debate if the drivers are athletes.... in 2010 JJ was awarded the Associated Press Athlete of the Year, first driver ever to get such award, and im sure not the last...

Michael I have to add one more thing to this subject which may start a fire storm or put things to rest regarding athletes. This morning I was surving the tv channels and found something interesting. It was a bit about Curling as an olympic sport. Now someone ask if NASCAR racing was an Olympic sport. My reply is "not yet". Curling is sort of like bowling on ice. I don't know what the item is called they use but they have lanes on ice, they push the "thingie" so far and then use a broom to sweep in front of it and not touching anything they try to get it to a BIG CIRCLE on the ice. They get points etc. and they get medals. My question is "do they have to be in shape like work out style"? If it is in the Olympic's is it a sport Mr. McNabb?
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:25 am

What the #### does a soup salesman know about what is athletic or not?

:lol:

In all seriousness he's just ignorant. But who knows, maybe they aren't athletes. Maybe that's just too sissy a term to slap on them.

Guys like Jimmie and Carl illustrate that regardless of what you think of what they do on Sunday afternoons, they have to be very athletic to do it at a high level. Kasey Kahne too. Josh Wise just completed the Ironman deal. Mark Martin is a bodybuilder.

Tony, meanwhile, is sort of Ruthian (speaking in a physical/athleticism sense only, not comparing him to The Babe in stature or standing as an American hero) and also a toss-back to racing's past in that he isn't this toned, fit-beyond-belief guy who works out or goes for runs but he has the brute strength to do what he needs to do. Ryan may still have a lot of fans here (I think? Haven't really been on in a while) so I'll add that he is another example of that. Ryan farms and stuff for his strength which makes him similar to guys like Harry Gant. I'd like to put Tony or Ryan in an arm-wrestling match against McNabb or anybody else who fits his definition of an "athlete."

Fact of the matter is that yes, if you go to your local short track you're going to find some beer-league softball types nobody is going to mistake for an athlete, but at the Sprint Cup level everyone (who is competitive) is either in great physical shape or just so #### tough they can manhandle the car and endure for three or four hours, however long they need.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
Previous

Return to NASCAR & Racing