FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Stunned!

<<

HotCamaro

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:53 am

Stunned!

As I watched Tony drive around for most of the race in the 20th position (bored) I was thrilled when all of a sudden he was in the top 10. That's "Our" Smoke! When we came back from the commercials and they announced that Tony was caught speeding in the pits, I was just stunned! That's the second time he has made that rookie error and blew the chance of either winning or a top 5 finish. I was so disappointed, I shut off the race and went for a brisk walk. And believe me, I don't like to walk briskly! I'm going to take a week off from racing to get this bad taste out of my mouth. Of course, I'll regret it if I don't see Tony win next week, but for my own sanity I need break. Have a good week everyone.................... :cry:
<<

jdpirate

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:12 am

Re: Stunned!

HotCamaro wrote:As I watched Tony drive around for most of the race in the 20th position (bored) I was thrilled when all of a sudden he was in the top 10. That's "Our" Smoke! When we came back from the commercials and they announced that Tony was caught speeding in the pits, I was just stunned! That's the second time he has made that rookie error and blew the chance of either winning or a top 5 finish. I was so disappointed, I shut off the race and went for a brisk walk. And believe me, I don't like to walk briskly! I'm going to take a week off from racing to get this bad taste out of my mouth. Of course, I'll regret it if I don't see Tony win next week, but for my own sanity I need break. Have a good week everyone.................... :cry:

:shock: Breathe, breathe! Speeding on pit road is obviously NOT a rookie error....it happens to the best drivers--yes, Tony included (as we have witnessed twice this year). Drivers are always pushing the limits and, yes, they sometimes get caught (and sometimes don't)--it's the nature of the beast :?
I'm living my life the way I want to.... Tony Stewart
[]Never Quit...... Marcus Luttrell
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:26 am

After the race, Tony sent this Tweet: "Long day today. Stepped on my **** again!"

He knows it was his fault.

On to Kentucky.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:32 pm

I could not believe it either...... :( I know they set the tacs on the dash when they take the first lap and Tony will read the speed of the pace car, then Chad comes back with a completely different number....I always wondered why those numbers weren't the same ?!? Maybe some knows and can tell us...
I felt so sorry for the team..... Finally they were working in a positive direction, things had come together....we just need the arrows all going in the right direction....and Mr Leadfoot to let up on the gas.....He needs to push the pedal on Qualifying and lighten up on Pit Road...they have it all together, and the win WILL come..I can't imagine how bad Tony felt.... :cry:
Last time it was entering and I think this one was leaving pit road....entering last week he blew out the lights on the dash,(not good) and yesterday I didn't hear how much he was over was on pit road.. I did notice the car fishtailed when he left the box...
I am wondering because of his leg injury, maybe he doesn't have the feeling back in his leg like he use too.....it takes nerves much longer to connect and heal....let alone having a steel rod running down your leg....not an excuse, but since I have never had a leg injury like that I don't know....Also if you watched pre race he was really limping when he walked into the drivers meeting....And thinking back, I really don't ever remember him getting back to back speeding
penalties before :( ......On to Kentucky and Saturday nite under the lights.....
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
#Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:57 pm

I don't think you can blame it on "the leg." I think he was just pushing the envelope a little too hard.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Outlaw7841

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:41 pm

In the first few laps once Tony got settled in and knew what his car was doing I think he was just trying to figure out what his car needed in order to make it to the last twenty laps with a nice clean car. Then go attack them. We all know how it unfolded on lap ninety-two however.
<<

Outlaw7841

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Annalee wrote:I could not believe it either...... :( I know they set the tacs on the dash when they take the first lap and Tony will read the speed of the pace car, then Chad comes back with a completely different number....I always wondered why those numbers weren't the same ?!? Maybe some knows and can tell us...
I felt so sorry for the team..... Finally they were working in a positive direction, things had come together....we just need the arrows all going in the right direction....and Mr Leadfoot to let up on the gas.....He needs to push the pedal on Qualifying and lighten up on Pit Road...they have it all together, and the win WILL come..I can't imagine how bad Tony felt.... :cry:
Last time it was entering and I think this one was leaving pit road....entering last week he blew out the lights on the dash,(not good) and yesterday I didn't hear how much he was over was on pit road.. I did notice the car fishtailed when he left the box...
I am wondering because of his leg injury, maybe he doesn't have the feeling back in his leg like he use too.....it takes nerves much longer to connect and heal....let alone having a steel rod running down your leg....not an excuse, but since I have never had a leg injury like that I don't know....Also if you watched pre race he was really limping when he walked into the drivers meeting....And thinking back, I really don't ever remember him getting back to back speeding
penalties before :( ......On to Kentucky and Saturday nite under the lights.....

This is the section tony got caught speeding in. It looks like section 4.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:43 pm

I sooooo understand the frustration .... I really do. Tony must feel just as frustrated, if not more, than the rest. No need to beat him up, bail or abandon ship. LOL

Stuff happens. ( It usually happens to ME ... ) but sometimes, it happens to other people. ;-)

Still love & support him, mistakes & all. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Also, re: the speeding in pit sections ... it's like being PG - you either ARE ... or ARE NOT. LOL

Computers got it covered, so there is NO getting away with it anymore, when NASCAR officials see a big blinking red light. :mrgreen:

Pit row is covered in usually 3 to 5 "segments" and each segment is covered by a computer, so you can be cool in one segment and be speeding in another.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

barnes442

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:36 pm

I think it's time Nascar changed the rule where drivers can speed then suddenly slow down at the end of the timing segment. I think that is a big problem with the speeding penalties. Seems like Tony is just trying to push that as much as he can this year where in the past he hasn't as much. Probably because a lot of the season he hasn't had the greatest track position and Pocono was trying ashard as he ccould to hang on to it when he did
<<

funblvble

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:24 pm

I typically listen to Danica's radio and her spotter Brandon reminded her before the race to make sure she took a good arc on pit road so she wouldn't get caught speeding. On some pit roads where there is a bit more room and you are going around corners you can get busted for speeding if you cut the corners too tight. Don't know if that may have contributed to Tony getting busted for speeding or not...but I don't really think it's that unusual just a bad time to get caught.
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:42 am

Outlaw7841 wrote:
Annalee wrote:I could not believe it either...... :( I know they set the tacs on the dash when they take the first lap and Tony will read the speed of the pace car, then Chad comes back with a completely different number....I always wondered why those numbers weren't the same ?!? Maybe some knows and can tell us...

This is the section tony got caught speeding in. It looks like section 4.

Thanks for the info .....that's the first time I have seen the speeding sheets.... It's alright there....
I don't remember if Bob reminded Tony about pit road speed, but he usually does.... :?
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
#Support Smoke
<<

jwheels14

Post Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:01 am

The number you here Chad and Bob say to Tony is the number they have calculated according to the gear in the rear end and the transmission, that speed is 5 mph above the pit road speed limit. The number that Tony tells them during the warm up laps is the RPM's when the pace car is at pit road speed (actual speed limit not 5 over), that's why the numbers are different.
<<

blownt

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:29 am

Heard Tony on Sirius last night. He said he, Chad and Zippy had a long talk about it on the plane ride back and changes will be made to correct the pit road speeding in the future.
<<

HotCamaro

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:52 pm

So glad to hear that the guys talked about the speeding problem as it just cannot happen again. Isn't it odd to be complaining about Tony speeding during a race since you are suppose to go as fast as possible! :lol:
Next

Return to Tony