Taskforce14

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:59 pm

Time for a new crew chief

This is getting old.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:13 am

Re: Time for a new crew chief

yup its always the CC fault, never tony's............ :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Outlaw7841

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:27 am

Before you throw Chad under the bus, He gave Tony a chance to make a something out of nothing at Auto Club, Darlington, and Texas. With Steve Addington He would have finished 20th in all of them races. Yes Justin Allgaier was running good last night but Tony ran great there under him. Kyle ran great under him there. and Kurt ran pretty good there under him. I'm not and never was a huge Steve Addington fan.
<<

Taskforce14

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:54 am

I'm not throwing Chad under the bus. I just don't think he is very good. He seems very unsure of himself when he talks on the radio. He just doesn't seem to be a championship crew chief. They aren't any closer to figuring out the car than they were at the beginning of the season.
<<

14Smokem

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Taskforce14 wrote:I'm not throwing Chad under the bus. I just don't think he is very good. He seems very unsure of himself when he talks on the radio. He just doesn't seem to be a championship crew chief. They aren't any closer to figuring out the car than they were at the beginning of the season.

Yup TF,

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too...

I am still surprised he is on the box..... This has not been a good start to the season.

I would not want his job. To be a Championship contender Crew Chief is a daunting task.
You need to be a counselor, cheerleader, tactician, strategist, engineer, manager,
confidant, and close friend.......... Pretty formidable task. Missing any of those talents
puts him at a huge disadvantage against the likes of those top 10 crew chiefs.

Johnston is simply one or two french fries short of a Happy Meal.

Zippy.. Hello... Zippy... we need help here....
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:20 pm

JMO......I think they NEED TO TEST!!!!!! Zippy should be with them.....I think he could do more with helping Chad with the setups and Tony's feel with the handling of his car....I would really be worried if all SHR cars didn't struggle last night..... To Chads credit, he has really pulled the rabbit out of the hat a couple times. I do think Chad gave up on the last two pit stops....didn't like that so much! They need to get on the same page.....!! But when I listened to Kevin, I heard basically the same thing.....I wish Chad would have called no one touch the car and for a complete teardown of the car after the race, And I don't know that he didn't ....they found ALOT when they did that the last time...
Even Bob the spotter sounded strange....not like himself! It was just a strange night, and not even a full moon! :lol: Having said that....I'm not giving up on Chad! Just found out the car was a car MArk Martin had driven and he couldn't make it work either!! Maybe they left his set up in it... : :( :shock: Maybe a new car, might help the situation...... :idea: :idea: :idea:

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

TishR

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Does anybody know who the spring and shock guy is for Tony? I keep hearing on the radio ever since Vegas tony saying the car is tripping on the right front and I am wondering if it has more to do with the shocks or springs or combination of both. I do know that last night after they went under the hood and made big adjustments he said it was better but it was way too late by then. I think it is time for one of those "meetings".
Tish
<<

14Smokem

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:18 pm

TishR wrote:Does anybody know who the spring and shock guy is for Tony? I keep hearing on the radio ever since Vegas tony saying the car is tripping on the right front and I am wondering if it has more to do with the shocks or springs or combination of both. I do know that last night after they went under the hood and made big adjustments he said it was better but it was way too late by then. I think it is time for one of those "meetings".

TishR, Completely from an old faulty memory..... There are several shock guys there.
Again, remember this is off the top of my head, but it would not surprise me if there were seven or more on that job. They are supplying shocks to 4 teams. Likely there are at least 4 shock dyno's in house, and would not be surprised to learn there were double that number.

Diclaimer..... I could be full of Equine Excrement :D :D
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Jules14

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:59 pm

No offense to any of Tony's former or his current CC, but I would LOVE to see Tony with Zippy on the box :D I think they are so close (like brothers) that they may hit on some of that old magic. I keep hoping that Zippy will at least "fill-in" as CC and they'll realize the box is where Zippy needs to be! ;)
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:01 pm

if you changed your CC every 9 races your team will never be any good even if it was Chad Knaus on the box. Tony didn't do any winter testing so the cars aren't to his liking. Tony & Martin have two different driving styles. It shouldn't be a surprise he is behind right now on set up preferences.
With the new rules the cars set ups are different not as simple as looking at last years notes. With most of the tracks being a different type of track to start the season. It is basically like their 1st time, not the 9th time on the track. I find it hard that you blame the CC for Tony's woes.

But hey, I am sure Danica fans wouldn't mind if you swapped CC's with their drivers CC :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:03 pm

Jules14 wrote:No offense to any of Tony's former or his current CC, but I would LOVE to see Tony with Zippy on the box :D I think they are so close (like brothers) that they may hit on some of that old magic. I keep hoping that Zippy will at least "fill-in" as CC and they'll realize the box is where Zippy needs to be! ;)

if my memory serves me correctly. Wasn't the last couple years Tony & Zippy were together not so good? We know Zippy & Logano were horrible. Maybe there is a reason he is no longer a CC.
ImageImageImage
<<

racer1

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:25 pm

"But hey, I am sure Danica fans wouldn't mind if you swapped CC's with their drivers CC "

Best comment ever--amen to that.

I would agree 9 races isn't enough time to get used to any driver for a newer CC with a new team like Chad has to do so its funny some want to throw him under the bus already because it involves Tony?? Part of the problem may be they probably aren't up to speed as they haven't been together long enough esp on these different tracks with rule changes for setups etc this yr? Therefore to expect immediate great results with a new CC is foolish all things considered as SHR as a team is still struggling as look at where they all are in points as proof--despite some wins? Any team that starts replacing new CC's after a few poor results then NO CC is going to want THAT job as even Tony is getting older and may not be as good as he once was anymore--just saying?
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Yes Schmoop it is a ridiculous idea to think that after 9 races a change could or should be made. This would of course mean that this team could go through as many as 4 this year alone.

There are certainly quite a few variables going on in this situation(and other drivers too) that are working against success. Personally though I'm not much concerned with any other driver, just Mr. Stewart. Call me a stalker, tunnel visioned or blind but this guy is my guy. When he struggles like he's doing now I get anxious.

I'm not lobbying for Zippy to get back on the box but the successes and failures of the fab 4 lie at his feet. He needs to get a handle on this and fast.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

Shander

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:39 pm

Okay, it might be a little too soon to get a new CC, but I think it would be good if Zippy would sit with this guy for a few races and help him out. It just bothers me when Kevin and Kurt do so much better and they also have new crews, so what's the difference? When they did the tear down of Tony's car from that one race, someone said they found lots of stuff wrong, so who is making those mistakes. Changing crews with the #10 makes me think of Chad and Jimmy when Chad took Jeff Gordon's crew that one year... not a good idea in my opinion. But something needs to change NOW rather than waiting until June or July and all of a sudden realizing that the Chase isn't too far away and you have no wins and now it's too late to really do anything about it. If Tony loses they all lose.
"No Woman will ever be truly satisfied... because no man will ever have a chocolate penis that ejaculates money."
Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those that matter.. don't mind and those that mind... don't matter!!
<<

HotCamaro

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Although it was awful to watch Tony ride around in the 25th position for an entire race......let's keep in mind......it's NOT Tony's time to shine yet. He doesn't get "hot" until May. I've been holding onto the thought that with the second race in May will come a turn around for Tony and the team. I sure hope that I'm right! Patience is very difficult but I don't think you make such huge changes after 9 races. Of course, by the end of May, my reply will be quite different if we don't see some improvement! :oops:
Next

Return to Tony