FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Stewart picks the wrong person to get petty with

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:19 am

Tony Stewart picks the wrong person to get petty with

Before Tony Stewart gives Danica Patrick any more advice on how to treat Richard Petty, he should remember one number: 200.

That's the number of laps in the Daytona 500. It's the number of wins Petty had in his career. And oddly enough, it's approximately the number of photo shoots Patrick has done.

That makes her a great attraction, but it doesn't make her a great driver. That's all Petty was saying when asked last week about Patrick's chances of winning a Sprint Cup race.

“(Only) if everybody else stayed home,” he said.

The War-on-Women alarm bells quickly started clanging. Petty was called a sexist, a hypocrite, a fuddy-duddy and an angry old man.

It's the standard Danica defense. When you can't answer the criticism, you attack the critic.

Stewart, however, put it in another gear on Wednesday. He questioned if Petty knows what he's talking about.

Hey, Tony: Wanna check the respective resumes?
DANICA'S BEST

There's no one like Danica, both on and off the track. Check out some of our favorite photos of Danica action.

It is one thing to call people like me morons for thinking Patrick isn't exactly the next David Pearson. It's another to say a seven-time NASCAR champ, a driver who has 95 more wins than the next guy on the list, needs to get a clue.

Stewart said a good way to prove it would be for Patrick to race Petty. As if beating a 76-year-old who hasn't raced in 22 years would invalidate Petty's views.

Look, Karrie Webb could probably beat Jack Nicklaus these days. Would that mean Nicklaus isn't qualified to offer an opinion on golf?

To cap off his Danica defense, Stewart suggested what she should do if she wins a checkered flag.

“If I were her, I'd take it over and cram it up his (expletive),” Stewart said.
Nice.

Patrick works for Stewart and he must defend her. He's invested millions of dollars in the fleeting hope she'll have more top-20 finishes this year than any other woman driver. But did he really need to play the Cram-It-Up-His-Bleep card on the King?

The guy has signed more autographs (estimates are in the millions), chatted with more fans and done more to promote NASCAR than 10,000 saucy pictures ever could. Racing royalty deserves a little more respect.

“I've tried to steer away from it,” Stewart said, “but it's like, 'Man, did he really think about what he said before he said it?'”

How much thinking does it take?

Patrick's average finish last year was 26th. Despite having some of the best equipment and backing, she got worse as the season progressed.

If Petty had said the same thing about Ricky Stenhouse Jr. or some other rookie, it would be seen as fair comment. But say it about Patrick and the knives come out.

“If her name had been Danny, OK, nobody would have said anything about it,” Petty said.

Danica's fans say she's a NASCAR novice who needs time. If you check career stats, you'll see that good drivers accomplish a lot more in less time. None of them took a selfie of themselves topless for Sports Illustrated.

Have you heard the latest on the Danica front? A 2008 topless photo was posted Jan. 23, but it showed too much nipple and was taken down. Since nothing disappears on the Internet, the picture has gone viral.

Cale Yarbrough sure never brought the kind of attention to NASCAR during Speedweeks at Daytona.

“This is a female deal that's driving her,” Petty said. “There's nothing wrong with that, because it's good PR for me. More fans come out (and) people are more interested in it. She has helped draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport.”

In other words, there's nothing wrong with being a marketing machine. Just don't get offended when somebody sees your career accomplishments and questions whether that's all you are.

Especially when that somebody is Richard Petty.

“If he wants to race her, I'll make sure they have the exact same setup in the car and give him a chance,” Stewart said. “He can drive one of my 14 cars.”

Heck, why not fill the other 13 with Pearson, Yarbrough, Bobby Allison, Junior Johnson, the ghost of Fireball Roberts and any other 76-year-old they can find? By Stewart's logic, beating them would really prove how crazy it is to criticize Patrick.

Since it's all about creating a buzz with Danica, a match race is probably the way to go.

Bring on Battle of the Sexes II!

“I think that would pretty much settle it once and for all,” Stewart said. “Maybe get him to shut up a little bit, too.”

Then again, what if Petty won?

One thing he wouldn't do is take the checkered flag and tell Stewart where to cram it.

Besides the 200 wins, that's what separates royalty from everybody else.

the best part of this thread is lower, it seems everybody's favorite member racer, abuses everyone on the internet, hahaha

@woody3171 @justpretend How stupid can you get? Any body can win 200 races? Stop smoking that sh&# and stop voting for idiots. It's rubbing off on you!!!!!!
FlagShare
LikeReply
racer1
racer1 1 hour ago

@
@racer1 @justpretend Why don't you politically correct idiots get your facts straight. Guthrie ADMITTED she was a novelty and just wanted to finish the race. Go back and watch races she was in. You will see her in a groove all by her self to stay out of the way of other drivers. Petty had a problem with that and a lot of people did.It's lame for Petty to have 200 wins but the girl has "0" and everybody including her keeps bragging about how great she is! PATHETIC!!!!!!!!
FlagShare
1SpaceCowby43LikeReply
onebad58
onebad58 49 minutes ago

@racer1 @justpretend were have you been?
FlagShare
LikeReply
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:25 am

Re: Tony Stewart picks the wrong person to get petty with

It's on...............
Petty took Tony up on equal race cars to race against Danica
http://apextimes.net/2014/02/petty-responds-challenge-accepted/
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Taskforce14

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:21 am

This whole thing is ridiculous. Petty should have enough respect for Danica as a driver in NASCAR to keep his mouth shut. I think that's what it comes down to more than anything. It's fine if you think this stuff but another thing if you are going to actually blab to the media about it. I don't see Petty saying that any other driver could win only if everyone stayed home. Stewart would have been better off to keep quiet as well but how many times does he have to hear the same question about it? And if it weren't for Stewart, Gordon, Junior and a few others NASCAR would have tanked big time by now despite Richard Petty making it what it is today as Hinton says.
Last edited by Taskforce14 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

smokinhott14

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:48 am

I have to agree about the respect thing. Danica may not have the record that Richard does but at the same time she has come a long way and as far as I am concerned has earned a place on the track respectfully. It took me a long time to find that respect for her because of the stupid commercials that Go Daddy had her in. I know it all comes down to marketing ploys and $$ but Danica has done more in the short time shes been in the sport than many who have been doing it for years. Id love to see the Petty vs Danica race myself. Richard does deserve respect but then so does Danica. You have to give respect to get it.
<<

14Smokem

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Hmmmmmm,

Nice thorough post MJ....

Racing is a testosterone driven sport.... and nobody wants to lose,
whether on the track, off the track, or in the press.

And, although this may not have been one of Tony's finest moments,
like his hero AJ Foyt, yuh can't help but cringe a tiny bit, and wish
his helmet was on, and the green flag was out. :roll:

If the report of King Richard accepting the challenge is true,
get ready to bet your very last Dollar, NASCAR will be ALL-IN.

For me, this whole thing is blown way out of proportion.
Richard is a NASCAR standout, and no one can take that from him.
Danica is the best female to have ever strapped on a helmet in NASCAR.
Tony Stewart is a man with more varied racing accolades than any other
driver in racing history.....

Yes I know, there are several other standouts.
Mario Andretti USAC F1 NASCAR
Dan Gurney USAC NASCAR F1
AJ Foyt USAC NASCAR
Cale Yarborough USAC NASCAR
Jim Clark USAC F1
and on and on.......
But NONE of the above have an Indy Car Championship
a NASCAR Championship AND a USAC Championship
under their belts.... wins yes...!!!!
Championships in ALL THREE venues NO...!!!!***

Tony... IS the one and only Tony.

So... summing it up.... all three (Danica, Tony, Richard)
have standing, AND they, all three,
have orbs the size of Bowling Balls.

All three have bragging rights.
All three are human, and say stuff.... that is questionable.
So what.....???

Let the Green Flag drop.... Watch History in the making.
Enjoy.....

What an amazing time to be a Racing Fan.

Regards
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:30 pm

Tony decided to stand up for Danica as her boss & a driver as well, but Tony does say things before he thinks (don't we all). Words are easier said than done. With this public feud just that, what track in their right mind is going to let them go on one? Any track that offers the opportunity for this even opens up ridicule on themselves for letting it take place (by some). So what track will be next?????.............Eldora on dirt. This way neither will have an advantage of experience over the other as Tony said he'll keep the car set ups the same to keep it fair. Grant it Petty will still have somewhat of an advantage even if racing on dirt as he done NASCAR in dirt before. But a late model or other means will make it a little more equal, the best over all to keeping everything equal.

Besides, I think Petty's looking forward to this just so he can get behind the wheel of any race car again.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:34 pm

The man is 75 years old, he can't see, he can't hear.... He also suffers from a disorder called " foot in mouth " disease....probably genetic...he can paper a wall in your house with driving tickets, hit and run, speeding, reckless driving ... He tried running for Secretary of State in NC, that didn't work out well after he was ticketed while driving and insulting a highway patrol officer, his temper is infamous ,he quietly withdrew from that race...... he is every reporters dream, he will say anything you want if you phrase the question right. He's just OLD... He will need bumper pads on his car for sure.....and maybe a sock in his mouth!

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

wolfgang

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:57 pm

14Smokem wrote:

Hmmmmmm,

Nice thorough post MJ....

Racing is a testosterone driven sport.... and nobody wants to lose,
whether on the track, off the track, or in the press.

And, although this may not have been one of Tony's finest moments,
like his hero AJ Foyt, yuh can't help but cringe a tiny bit, and wish
his helmet was on, and the green flag was out. :roll:

If the report of King Richard accepting the challenge is true,
get ready to bet your very last Dollar, NASCAR will be ALL-IN.

For me, this whole thing is blown way out of proportion.
Richard is a NASCAR standout, and no one can take that from him.
Danica is the best female to have ever strapped on a helmet in NASCAR.
Tony Stewart is a man with more varied racing accolades than any other
driver in racing history.....

Yes I know, there are several other standouts.
Mario Andretti USAC F1 NASCAR
Dan Gurney USAC NASCAR F1
AJ Foyt USAC NASCAR
Cale Yarborough USAC NASCAR
Jim Clark USAC F1
and on and on.......
But NONE of the above have an Indy Car Championship
a NASCAR Championship AND a USAC Championship
under their belts.... wins yes...!!!!
Championships in ALL THREE venues NO...!!!!***

Tony... IS the one and only Tony.

So... summing it up.... all three (Danica, Tony, Richard)
have standing, AND they, all three,
have orbs the size of Bowling Balls.

All three have bragging rights.
All three are human, and say stuff.... that is questionable.
So what.....???

Let the Green Flag drop.... Watch History in the making.
Enjoy.....

What an amazing time to be a Racing Fan.

Regards

The seven time champions didn't waste time in lesser divisions and made up their minds open wheel or stock cars. Impressed by your knowledge and loyalty to Tony, but the King #43 and the Prince #3 of Nascar still are who they are and regardless of what anyone else does today-it'll remain! ;)
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:45 pm

if any of this is true about Petty excepting the Challenge. I hope Danica or Go Daddy is smart enough to crush it. It would be a no win situation for Danica. If she wins it...... well she should & just beat a 76 yr old man. If she barely wins she can look bad. If she loses would be devastating for her rep as a race car driver. No way anything good comes from this for her.
ImageImageImage
<<

14Smokem

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:14 am

Wolfgang, Thanks

I suppose it is a matter of perspective. My own gut on it is,
that he has butt feel unlike any other driver in history.
The others you mention are giants, no question.
That said, I more than respect your take, from your viewpoint.

Schmoop.... The Danica/Petty challenge.
Good points.... But....
I'm thinking it is Marketing Gold for ALL parties
to let this play out.

NASCAR gets huge play.
Danica/Go Daddy get huge exposure.
Petty gets Major attention.
SHR gets big time eye time.

Your points made regarding the effect of the win/loss
are certainly valid....

I think it is good for the sport.....
ie: Billy Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs
Big exposure for Pro Tennis.....

So.... gonna be interesting to watch this play out.

Regards

Don't tell our resident grinch....
but I will be pulling for the "girl".

*Ducks and runs for cover* :D
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 am

Sorry, but I think this is an idiot ploy. No way can any track take the possibility of either one of them getting hurt and though I respect Petty and what he's done, his bones are brittle to say the least. How the he!! would anyone feel if he got hurt. I'm also sick of the disrespect Richard is getting here. It started as a redneck sport and will end that way. I can't believe the vile coming from some of you over what Petty said. Try and stop for a minute and think of where NASCAR would be now without him and the others of that era. All this over the stupid sparkle pony and no I never will like her and I think how she's gotten where she is negates all she's accomplished. If she were my daughter's role model, I'd puke. Use your body to sell a sponsor and you too can be put in a race car you don't deserve. Most all of you respect what Tony's done and the number of different types of race car's/series he's won in. Well he is one of a kind and thinking the sparkle pony will ever be anywhere near as good as he is purely delusional. As much as I hate to say it, JPM is a good driver in the other series he's raced in but he didn't make it in NASCAR. Sam Hornish is better than the sparkle pony and where is he now? Dario is a good driver and he didn't make it either. If all this is about Stenica being a woman, then that's sexist. All the people calling Petty sexist, well that only puts you on the other side of the fence. Wow, why can't this week be about the freakin' Daytona 500 that everyone's been drooling over since November???

I'm tired of the press pushing everyone's buttons. That question was asked of Petty for a reason. Since the elf hasn't gone off on anyone lately and since the shrub hasn't wrecked a potential champion lately, and BK hasn't accused anyone else of cheating lately, where else are they supposed to stir up controversy? Why can't Tony's recovery and return be the main story? Can't we just get back to racing and leave all this crap the press salivates over behind us?

Sorry, got my ire up for a few minutes there but now I'm stepping off the soapbox... Next???
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:44 am

rochelle rules!

but i stand by what i said to you in a PM rochelle ;)
<<

Rachael J

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:17 am

Yes, Rochelle rules! Rochelle, you said what I've been thinking all along. I'm ready to move on from all this mess!
GO PACKERS!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:57 am

i was bored with it since the first day, if anything i find joy that it has one member all worked up?
btw with the question mark i think you know who i mean :D
<<

awsum14

Post Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:57 am

Rochelle wrote:Sorry, got my ire up for a few minutes there but now I'm stepping off the soapbox... Next???

Did you get permission from smokieonefour to use her soapbox :?: ... :mrgreen:
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
Next

Return to Tony