FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Watching Tony's fall from grace

<<

Smokeshow14

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:09 pm

Watching Tony's fall from grace

#### I haven't been here or any forum in that matter for years. After having a kid and moving to California working and going to school fulltime I've been caught up in other things.

But with the last year or so with all that has gone on with Smoke I was wondering what my fellow Stewart fans have been thinking.

As someone who loves Tony Stewart as a racecar driver and loves seeing him race it has been sad seeing what has happened to him. His fall from grace if you will.

First with the broken leg. Idk about you guys. But I had a positive outlook on that. "He'll be back next year." "Harvick and Kurt Busch will help Smoke out." I hated that he had such a bad injury. But at least it wasn't career ending.

Then with the hiring of Chad Johnston. Chad had done good with Truex so I thought that with Tony that he should be able to do amazing things.

Up until the Kevin Ward accident this season has been a nightmare. Tony has really only had one chance to win this year and he blew that by speeding. I got to go to Auto Club this year so it was fun seeing him come back for a top five. But to have only two top fives and six top tens 27 races into the season is something I didn't expect.

I have to be honest I haven't watched NASCAR too much this year. It isn't sparking my interest as it did before. Not just because of Smoke. But I'm not a big fan of the Penske duo and they seem to taking charge right now.

I came to the conclusion after I saw Tony's interview after the wreck at Pocono that he doesn't care as much as he has in the past. I guess I can get that. He has zero the prove to anyone. He is the most talented racecar driver that I have ever watched. He just got back from a big injury. He probably just missed racing. Not even being competitive. But racing. And that is a little hard to accept.

Now to the Kevin Ward thing. I remember finding out about it. I had went to a club and saw a text from a friend of mine asking if I was okay. I asked why? He explained to me what happened and showed me the video.

Not once for a second did I believe Tony would kill another human being. But I am 22 and this kid was 20. I felt so bad for him and his family. Being a father now I get what Kevin Ward Sr is going through. If my boy died before I did idk what I'd do. That is just an awful way to go. I do think Kevin put himself in harm's way. But it is still awful.

And for Tony I just can't imagine what he's been going through. Having to live with that the rest of his life. He got turned into a villain by so many so quick. Some calling him a murder.

I am glad that as the facts have came out that people have seemed to change their tune and see this for what it was: a tragic accident.

I have only watched Atlanta since he has been back. That reception he got at the intros was cool btw. And I am glad he got support from drivers. But I feel at this point Tony is just racing to remove his mind from all of this. I don't think he is worried about winning. Which is probably why his pit crew is on the 4 now.

I don't have high hopes for the rest of this year. But in the grand scheme of his career the performance aspect of this can be written.

But I do hope his legal issues and person issues are rectified. I hate that this is going to a grand jury. I believe he will be proven innocent. But this is just going to drag on for a long time. Though I think most knew that there was no way that something was not going to happen to him. At the end of the day he was involved in someone's death.

Hopefully next season this is all behind Tony. Hopefully he gets a new crew chief that he figure out why Harvick is so fast and a three time champion isn't. And then Tony will make a great comeback. I believe he is still a great driver. Winning that sprint car race the first time back in one since that injury, the way he drove in the opening laps at Atlanta. He can still do it. Kinda a bummer that he is third in line at his own team at the moment though.

Too bad he can probably race sprint cars again. Not to get psychological here. But Tony's an interesting case. He is great at one thing and he loves it more than life. And I am just saying this from years of watching him and reading about him. But outside of racing and business and charity he seems to be a bit of a screw up. Almost like a man child. 43 with no wife or kids. That is why he races Sprint cars. Instead of having that to go to he has a racecar to go to.

I might just be a romantic. But I hope he finds some kind of happiness outside of racing. It is a little sad that racing is the only thing that he really has that defines who he is. I've heard stories of how much #### he's taped. And while that is impressive, I'm sure his personal life is the reason he has raced so many sprint car races and has indirectly caused his broken leg issue and now this.

These are real dark times when you think about. Hopefully there will be some light soon. I'm with ya Tony all the way. Even if I'm not watching right now.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:19 pm

Re: Watching Tony's fall from grace

It's good to hear from you, glad you are doing well and congrats on your baby.......Tony will come through this....things always happen for a reason but for the life of me I don't see where this mess is going....my belief is that there really is no case...but because of his fame and fortune.......you have a DA and Sherriff that aren't doing their jobs and so not to draw attention to themselves for future political aspirations are passing the buck...Check in when you can....I miss your posts.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

fanta_c

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 am

Smokeshow14 said: I might just be a romantic. But I hope he finds some kind of happiness outside of racing. It is a little sad that racing is the only thing that he really has that defines who he is.

I totally, TOTALLY agree with you! During his first interview when he came back after breaking his leg, Tony said basically that racing was all he had, if he couldn't race, he may as well die. I told my husband that I hope some of the older drivers, especially D.W., would "minister" to him, help him to see that there IS life after getting out of the car. That's a good part of Nascar, that they are a family and will help each other.

And yes, I hope he finds love, too(*see note below). His life is just too unbalanced, it's like a stool with only two legs; it's bound to topple over eventually unless he shores it up with something other than racing.

*Although it would break my heart to watch him kiss another woman, since he's supposed to marry ME!!! (My husband keeps on telling me, "You DO remember that you are already married, right?", to which I reply, "Why do you always have to see only the negative side of everything?!!?")
<<

im4tony

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:49 am

I agree with all of you who posted here. I think because Tony is a high profile person they may even go to trial. I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

And yes Tony needs a GOOD woman. One that would love his racing life and give him some babies.

I pray he has some strong friends that will help him get thru this.

It just makes me so sad to see him in this situation. Just as he was getting back then the tragedy took place. For whatever reason the Lord gave him these challenges. I pray it will provide a positive learning curve.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

TbayFinn

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:01 pm

If you allow me, let me give you a different perspective.
I am also 43 - single and no kids (due to medical reasons).
It does not define who I am or what I do.
I have gone through some ugly relationships. I even moved to another part of the country in hopes of salvaging one relationship.
It is so hard to find someone that supports your passions plus your trials and tribulations.

Tony has good people around him. He has his family, his Nascar community and most of all.....his fans!

What he is going through is not easy especially being in the limelight.
You, me and millions of others do not have media, social media and millions of eyes upon us scrutinizing our every move.

Has it been what he has expected?
Definitely not!
As fans, would we have foreseen this?
Probably not!

Tony has a mountain to climb.
We have all been there and done that.
But we learn from it and move on.

Positive thoughts to everyone involved! ☺

Just my 2 cents.
<<

slopoke21m

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:55 pm

TbayFinn wrote:If you allow me, let me give you a different perspective.
I am also 43 - single and no kids (due to medical reasons).
It does not define who I am or what I do.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! (now substitute "due to my career, hobbies and personal priorities" in place of medical reasons, and you may, in my opinion, have a statement that Tony may make.

im4tony wrote:....And yes Tony needs a GOOD woman. One that would love his racing life and give him some babies.

Did you seriously just type/say that?

Smokeshow14 wrote:....Too bad he can probably race sprint cars again. Not to get psychological here. But Tony's an interesting case. He is great at one thing and he loves it more than life. And I am just saying this from years of watching him and reading about him. But outside of racing and business and charity he seems to be a bit of a screw up. Almost like a man child. 43 with no wife or kids. That is why he races Sprint cars. Instead of having that to go to he has a racecar to go to.

I might just be a romantic. But I hope he finds some kind of happiness outside of racing. It is a little sad that racing is the only thing that he really has that defines who he is. I've heard stories of how much #### he's taped. And while that is impressive, I'm sure his personal life is the reason he has raced so many sprint car races and has indirectly caused his broken leg issue and now this.

These are real dark times when you think about. Hopefully there will be some light soon. I'm with ya Tony all the way. Even if I'm not watching right now.

This is truly one of the most screwed up statements I have ever had the non privilege of reading in my entire life. Thankfully this is only your (and maybe a few other completely non understanding, non competitive, folks) opinion. And the highlighted portion absolutely boils my blood!!!

I personally cant wait for him for him to get back into a sprint car, will watch him even when hes laps down, running dead last, or out in front by a straightaway, and will certainly not feel sorry for him for how he has chosen to live his life....

When is somebody going to actually stand up and say Tony was a VICTIM of circumstances, most of which were way beyond his control.....####!...the idiots in the news media are still reporting that Tony "spun" Ward out!

Rant over...flame away...ban away...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:19 pm

congrats on the birth of your child!
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Tony has plenty to look forward to. Tony has put his passion for racing ahead of other things he cares about and one of those is his farm. But the farm will always be there and someday he will retire from racing. He doesn't have to give the sport up as he has plenty of things he owns to be involved in. He still has plenty of time for a family. Junior Johnson is several years older than his son. I know Tony will do what he can to recover. I just hope he stays out of the state of New York.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

TbayFinn

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Thanks slopoke! ☺

I wasn't trying to speak on behalf of Tony.
I just wanted to show what life is like on the other side of the fence (so to speak).
<<

Jules14

Post Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Tbayfinn, I'm with you...I have had a hysterectomy due to fibroids-I'm glad I had the surgery and don't for one moment regret it! I'm 37, never been married, won't have/haven't had kids. I'm okay with that also. I'm hoping/wishing I meet the right guy for me. I'm sure that being in the public eye doesn't help when trying to find someone who's real and truly wants to be with Tony and not just jump on the bandwagon, so to speak. At least he has a hobby he loves and if he's not tied down with a family, why shouldn't he live his life the way he wants, doing what he loves?
My heart breaks for him: one human being to another. I can't imagine what the poor guy is struggling with. I hurt for Kevin's family too. Anyone who's ever lost someone they love feels for all of his family. I hope they can find peace also. The entire situation is extremely sad. Once something has happened there's no fixing it; no matter how much we wish it were different. I feel awful sick about the whole thing.
My concern with the case going to grand jury, is that I hope they have the knowledge to understand the evidence they are looking at. I just don't want to see Tony be punished because of lack of understanding of the evidence, if that makes sense to anyone. I'm convinced that whatever the outcome, Tony is the one who will be forever tormented by this horrible accident. I honestly feel that any suffering he will have to learn to cope with for the rest of his life, will be punishment enough.
I don't want to sound like an insensitive person, I just hurt for everyone involved and I hope the system works. I can't believe and don't believe that anyone would ever intentionally try to jeopardize someone's safety risking death to them. Tony's lost people he cares about to racing accidents, has his foundation supporting injured drivers...I'm never going to believe this is anything more than a horrible, tragic, disgusting accident. I hate that it has hurt so many people. God bless everyone involved and I pray that closer will come to all.
<<

TbayFinn

Post Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:24 am

Jules,
In my opinion you did not come across as insensitive.
Very well written. ☺

Return to Tony