FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dear Chad Johnston

<<

Annalee

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:27 am

Re: Dear Chad Johnston

I listened the entire race......Tony gave him imput has to what was happening to the car.....Chad made the call and the pit crew made the changes..... There was a lot of silence in the car, which leads me to believe even Tony couldn't figure what exactly was going on...but Tony and Greg Biffle had evil looking cars....Tony needs to instead of going silent...speak up and help Chad help him and the car.. It seemed that the right front tire would set then snap loose....... just found out Tony wasn't feeling well before the race too...... :( Hope he is feeling better..... :)

1.I do not know when Chad makes the calls for changes whether ( because of lack of time) or maybe not understanding the calls for the changes, that they are being properly executed.....

2. It amazed me that Zippy was down in the pits telling Chad just by looking at the car on track exactly what he saw and that Zippy was telling him what to do to make it better....now I am not sure what was said but I am sure Chad listened..... He wants to be successful, he seemed as perplexed as anyone as to what was happening....

3.One of best things I heard from Chad ......was at the end of the race when he said "NO ONE
TOUCH THE CAR, PUT IT IN THE HAULER AS IS.......I WANT TO TAKE THIS CAR APART AND FIND OUT WHAT WENT WRONG......

4. Chad has not tested with Tony at all.... this is only their third race together....on totally different tracks.... Mark did all the testing.....they have very,very different driving styles and set ups.....this is just TO ME is a recipe for a disaster ........

5. Who sets up the cars..before they come to the track?? What is the role of car chief.....he has been with Tony for a long time and should really know more of what Tony wants in the handling of
his car and help Chad to set it up..

6. I like Chad.......when Tony said take a big swing at it, he did just that......maybe it would have been better if they would have done small things. Hind sight is always 20/20....but I think a lot of their problem was the right front tire for what ever reason......On to Bristol and another different type of track...? :( :(

Monday debrief should be interesting.....it wasn't only Tonys car but Kurt was struggling..... :(

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:47 pm

Annalee wrote:Monday debrief should be interesting.....it wasn't only Tonys car but Kurt was struggling..... :(

I have said many times before that I would love to be a fly on the wall at those debriefs.

I really hope Chad does do an autopsy on the car. Maybe they will find something(s). :|

With so many mile-and-one-half tracks on the schedule, they have GOT to get the setup problems corrected or Tony could miss winning a race and miss the Chase.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

TishR

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:49 pm

All I know is that when it comes to communication between the two Tony has to start talking a little more. It seems like everything everybody tried yesterday, if it did help, it would only last a lap or two and back to he$$. Even Zippy's ideas didn't help that evil car.
Tish
<<

onerockindoc

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:12 pm

Well, I must have been mistaken on the first stop when I thought it was Tony who said what changes he wanted on the car. In my defense I was trying to get ready to go somewhere and trusted Mr. Doc to listen in the other room!

I hope this is a lesson learned in the communication department between TONY and Chad. They are a team within a team.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:19 pm

as i told doc i stated many of times last year when they signed kurt, tony said that having a 3 car team put them behind the 8ball so how is going to 4 going to make it better? chad has been on the job a couple months, SHR has been struggling since the beginning of last year..... maybe it is the people in charge are the problem.
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

racer1

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Well--Race Hub anylised SHR today and its problems & one thing they said made sense stating since Harvicks car has been great so far despite the mech problem at Vegas, why arent the other teams looking & talking with Harvicks CC about his setup? Thats normally the advatage of a big team, or should be? While drivers do like different setups based on how they drive, its still a better starting point then what they are showing on their own--obviously? :roll:

Like last yr with the new Gen6 car it put SHR behind struggling most the yr at some tracks, apparently now this yr with the new Nascar setup changes, they are also struggling-- except for Harvick--why is that--wake up SHR? :roll:
<<

TishR

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Doc you trusted Mr. Doc for info? You should know better! LOL
Tish
<<

Taskforce14

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:22 pm

Doc, I don't know what happened after the first two stops but I couldn't believe the changes they were making on that first stop. Rubbers, wedge, track bar....and we are talking three rounds of track bar if I remember right. I was shocked they were changing it that much right off the bat. I was thinking maybe they tried to take a wild swing at it and tried something initially that just backfired on them but it looks like they just set it up thinking it would be ok and missed badly.

I really have to believe that they are exchanging information among teams. There is no way they aren't. They just need to get Tony comfortable in the car. I figured Busch would be behind early as well because to me, Borland wasn't that good as a crew chief and I know he is helping Knost. I also think they are involved in the Hendrick meetings as much as Hendrick will allow. Again, why wouldn't they be? I know Gordon said at one point last year that they weren't involved but that doesn't mean there is no communication there.

And at this point would it make any difference if Zippy were crew chief? I don't think it would. The team has a pool of information to use to set up and adjust these cars so if Johnston isnt getting it done with that information then I don't see why Zippy could.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:41 pm

Yeah Tish, I shouldn't have trusted him as my in race reporter.

Task, so sorry you attended this most disappointing race. Looked like the weather was perfect if that was any consolation.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:52 pm

Dear CJ,

Gonna keep this short and sweet since we just finished the 24 hours at Bristol.........

You did it buddy, a top 5. It was a long day but now you have some momentum on your side. Use it to your advantage.

Next week we head back out west......time for some California dreamin'

Your friend,
Doc
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:54 pm

dreamin' is the key word :D
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:39 am

boy tony has a good run and no one has anything nice to say about Chad #2, but as soon as a bad run happens, this thread will be hopping..............
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:41 am

This interview hopefully gives us some idea of who Chad is and his plans for the 14..... :)

Larry Mac interviews Chad Johnston

Making television magic on the SHR shop floor. #StewartHaasRacing

They were filming for an interview probably on RACEDAY or RACEHUB ........

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:05 am

Last edited by ndunn on Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

14Smokem

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:39 am

michaeljohn wrote:boy tony has a good run and no one has anything nice to say about Chad #2, but as soon as a bad run happens, this thread will be hopping..............

MJ... The observation is valid.
I am in waiting mode. The start of the season was so poor that I am a bit
surprised they did not pull the plug on him. Do not read that as a criticism
of Chad. We all comment on the connection needed between driver and CC.
Jimmy has it with Chad K, Jeffie had it with Ray, Stewart had it with Zippy.

There is no question Chad would NEVER have been picked as Smokes CC if
he was not a "top of the list" CC.

I guess it really boils down to the chemistry....

At the moment... It is not readilly apparent.

Jus thinkun
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
PreviousNext

Return to Tony