FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dear Chad Johnston

<<

Smoke_14

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:29 am

Re: Dear Chad Johnston

Whose call was it and why did the 14 come down pit road on nearly every caution in the end. Smoke would make up 2-3 spots on the restarts then lose all those positions again by coming into the pits. I felt if he stayed out, he could have grabbed a top 10. Instead he just missed out on a top 16.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

onerockindoc

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:04 am

It was Chad's call to come back in each yellow even though he had previously said they would not be coming back in. I chalk that up to a mistake but I'm sure it won't happen again. Tony was able to drive the car well through the field. We will take what we got a move along.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

14Patti14

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:37 pm

First, Tony restarted 15th every time and every time he pitted it was from 15th place. He never made those positions up. Sorry. Those were good calls, he wasn't getting anywhere with all those guys back there. And Chad said it was the last time they were coming in if it stayed green. Then Tony pointed out that the car was out of the track. They needed to pit.
If Smoke can't do it then Rowdy sure can.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:46 pm

Dear Chad,

The next time Rodney shares setup information with the Hendrick drivers, step in between and eavesdrop on the conversation.

Regards,
HiddenHollow
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:07 pm

honestly it could be the fact that Tony has a very different driving style than most. His set ups as far as I can remember have been different than all his teammates, even at JGR. Harvicks set ups may not help tony.
ImageImageImage
<<

housesandhogans

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:54 am

14Patti14 wrote:I actually thought the most interesting part of the night was when Chad asked if there was a miss in the engine too. Tony hadn't even mentioned that to that point. So it was a good catch. But I think there was little he could control about the whole issue. They did what they could.

That being said, to me he didn't sound like an outsider. I've thought about it, having the option to listen to other drivers in the time Tony was hurt, and I've found that Tony is not in the least bit chatty. In fact he's so quiet I can't listen to other drivers because they talk to much. I think to Tony it's about your actions, not words. He has input and the only response is for you to make the changes necessary. I'm not sure he even needs a cheerleader outside of Bob.

I'm giving him a chance, something that hardly any Smoke fans give his CC. I'm giving 2014 a chance to develop and come around. I think Tony's comeback will not be as spectacular as some would like, but I believe he will be competitive and win his customary one race this year and thus make the Chase. Will he win it all? I don't know, the next few weeks will tell.

I'm with you 14Patti. Tony is really very quiet on the radio compared to other drivers. He has also stated in comparing himself to other drivers (even Harvick and Kurt Bush) that they are able and interested in how the car works and telling their crew chiefs what they think, engineering-wise, about the engines. And that he (Tony) is better at just giving basic feedback. I thought Addington was always quiet - but now Chad seems so too. Maybe it is Tony who sets the tone as to how it sounds on the radio. I also agree that we need to give Chad a chance!! We're only coming up to the third race! It drove me crazy last year when everyone was dissing Tony and SHR right from the beginning. Let's give them some time and space to get it right this year!
<<

TishR

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:59 pm

I have noticed already that Chad is making the calls. It seems that Steve wanted Tony to make them. From what I listened to Sunday Chad is trying to make calls that gets Tony an advantage.
I did like the fact that when Chad was giving lap times he would let Tony know when it was a better
lap or not.

I agree let's give them some time together and see how it all goes.
Tish
<<

muskrat

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:17 pm

I like this format. I was questioning the last pit stop, four new tires when there was only a couple laps on the last set.
I am reserving my opinions till the summer months, Tony usually slow to start the year but once the temps heat up so does Tony. I may take a couple of weeks to build a "radio relationship[.

Does anyone know Chad's resume? I had never heard the name until this year.
I would rather be hated for who I am than Loved for what I ain't
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:15 am

All I really know about his background is that he was the CC for Martin Truex at MRW from late 2010 thtough 2013, but asked for his release after the Richmond debacle last year when NAPA pulled it's sponsorship and Truex lost his ride with MWR.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:50 pm

Dear Chad #2,
if you ever run into Chad K, could you get me his autograph? I keep asking Doc to get it for me, i think she needs to use her lady charms and corner the man.......
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 pm

Really? Really? I have plenty of lady charms that I prefer to use for good not evil.

Chad Johnston I believe has an engineering background. He had 1 win, 16 top 5's and 40 top 10's with Truex. We are just waiting for he and Tony to click personality wise. I'm optimistic this will happen and that he will bring out the best in our man Smoke.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:30 pm

i said you NEED to use, i didnt say you had none, now i know why my hair silver grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:59 pm

Dear Chad Johnston,

I didn't get a chance to watch the race today which may have been a good thing. I was able to see and hear the first caution however, and it was already bad at that point. I heard Tony say that you needed to take a big swing at the car. Ok...I'm good with that. But right when he came in HE called the changes that he wanted. There was no discussion about what you were going to do. Yes, I am very aware that you don't hold a board meeting at 185+ miles per hour but seriously he ran all over you. It seemed that on the next yellow you reversed some or most of those changes.

Communication is going to be the word that in the end will sum up this season. You and your boss need to come to some sort of agreement or happy medium on who makes the call to changes during a race. I personally would like you to decide this together. I hate to make the comparison between team 14 and today's race winner but.....OMG those 2 plus the spotter are incredible.

In closing I hope you take advantage of the experiences of your fellow crew chiefs at SHR. Lean on each other. Share information. Take Rodney Childers to lunch this week.

Still hopeful in Texas,

Doc
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:09 am

doc i think it is more than just Chad, SHR has pretty much picked up from last year, now its only 3 weeks, plenty of time to switch things around.
<<

Taskforce14

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:44 am

I was at the race. On the first stop Chad told Smoke what changes they were going to make and it was a bunch. Tony didn't tell him what to do. That could have changed later in the race though. I stopped listening.
PreviousNext

Return to Tony