FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dear Chad Johnston

<<

griff5071

Post Sun May 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Re: Dear Chad Johnston

Smoke_14 wrote:I think it's quite evident that Chad needs to make calls to keep giving the 14 track position. Soon as he went back to mid pack due to pit stops Tony never had the same car to get back up to the front. When within the top 10 Tony could hang up there and make his way up through the pack. It shows the speed is there. Just need track position.

Chad gave Smoke track position with the 2 tire stop, it had not worked for Jr, and it darn sure didn't work for Smoke! Smoke went from second to fourteenth in about seven laps. Almost EVERY adjustment Chad has made this year has been wrong, never helped the car at all, this race was no different! Another 20 something finish. I know Tony believes in Chad, but if it was my career being thrown down the drain, I would man up and fire his butt.

Love Smoke, but hate this season so far!
<<

14Smokem

Post Sun May 11, 2014 12:55 pm

The Bright Side.....

He did run up front in the lead pack for a while.

They did get him some speed during qualifying.

OK.... enough improvement for this week....!!!!! :D :D
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun May 11, 2014 4:37 pm

griff5071 wrote:
Smoke_14 wrote:I think it's quite evident that Chad needs to make calls to keep giving the 14 track position. Soon as he went back to mid pack due to pit stops Tony never had the same car to get back up to the front. When within the top 10 Tony could hang up there and make his way up through the pack. It shows the speed is there. Just need track position.

Chad gave Smoke track position with the 2 tire stop, it had not worked for Jr, and it darn sure didn't work for Smoke! Smoke went from second to fourteenth in about seven laps. Almost EVERY adjustment Chad has made this year has been wrong, never helped the car at all, this race was no different! Another 20 something finish. I know Tony believes in Chad, but if it was my career being thrown down the drain, I would man up and fire his butt.

So I guess the calls Chad made in the beginning of the year to get Smoke top 10's should be dismissed? You can't fire a new CC after just 11 races. I think Chad is doing fine. Certainly room for improvement but that can be said for everyone. I feel confident they will get better and compete for wins. It's not like last year when all of SHR was off. Harvick is arguably the best driver right now and Kurt has already won. Even Danica was quick this weekend. 14 was strong until he got back in dirty air. Give Smoke clean air and that car comes alive. It's only 11 races in and Tony missed nearly half the year last year. Give it time.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Outlaw7841

Post Mon May 12, 2014 4:27 pm

In my opinion it doesn't matter what car, driver or anything you have. When Tony took them two right side tires and then on the following pit stop had to take 4 while everyone else took two, he wasn't making it up. Look at Kevin and Jeff it took them 70 to 80 laps to even get close to the front again. I believe at that time there was only 68 or 70 laps left. To me its sad when you get back to 13 or 14th and you can't pass anyone because of aerodynamics. NASCAR tried making improvements and I grant them that but i think it's time to go back to work.
<<

racer1

Post Mon May 12, 2014 6:49 pm

"To me its sad when you get back to 13 or 14th and you can't pass anyone because of aerodynamics."

Ok Iam a Tony fan but time to weight in here on those making excuses for his mid pack run per that statement above which wasnt true for others??

Facts are his teammate who usually struggles every race had a great run & had NO problem passing cars getting up front several times from farther back like 22nd once, 14th & 12th several times due to being shuffled back on poor restarts etc. Also the fact her crew gave her & Harvick ONLY 2 right side tires on several stops as did many other drivers, shows that 2 tire stops wasnt really a problem for this race for many?

Therefore i dont know what other issues Tony had but in comparison as noted, i would simply say his car setup changed after mid race & he fell back as his crew couldnt make the car better with pit stop adjustments? Course he also went off on a different pit strategy at one point that hurt him & he couldnt recover from--plain & simple. On to Charlotte? 8-)
<<

Outlaw7841

Post Mon May 12, 2014 7:20 pm

If you actually watched the race, I mean i know you did and you know everything about SHR but when Kevin got back to 15th he was back there and his car was so loose he couldn't drive it he said. He didn't move up one spot or fall one spot. Jeff Gordon was the same way. They did some strategy on the pit stops and got back up there. But of course you know that as well but you sit here and argue with everyone if you don't like what they say. That's all fine and dandy buddy. I'm just pointing out the facts. The only two cars i saw that were able to pass were the 88 in the daytime and the 48 when he was back there.
<<

Outlaw7841

Post Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 pm

Also when Tony took two tires he and the 5 and i believe one other was the only ones to take two. Another thing is he did lose the drive ability on his car that run that hurt him very badly. But On to Charlotte like you said. He was fast at Texas so lets hope for the same just a little more.
<<

racer1

Post Mon May 12, 2014 8:33 pm

"The only two cars i saw that were able to pass were the 88 in the daytime and the 48 when he was back there."

Wow-that comment saying the 88 & 48 were the few who could pass cars- daylight or darkness--not hardly? I provide proof to back up my comments, so check the Loop date chart below to see all the data from the race? The 4 car you claimed struggled so much back mid pack was also where the 10 car was at also at a point in the race in 22nd. However both were able to pass lots of cars moving forward as the 4 car was 2nd for number of cars passed while JR was 5th, the 10 car was 7th & the 48 was 9th in passes made. Therefore Aero problems you are suggesting only affected some cars like Tonys who's CC apparently couldnt fix it & 2 tires werent the issue for most others either moving forward passing cars--end of story. :roll:

http://www.racing-reference.info/loopdata/2014-11/W

iam sure Tony is upset again with his CC but thats for his team to figure out as 2 cars out of 4 having good finishes and NO problems while the other 2 have problems says SHR-- as others have said--simply IS NOT consistent--thats all. :roll: On to Charlotte where hopefully ALL 4 have a good race? :) .
<<

griff5071

Post Mon May 12, 2014 9:22 pm

Smoke_14 wrote:
griff5071 wrote:

So I guess the calls Chad made in the beginning of the year to get Smoke top 10's should be dismissed? You can't fire a new CC after just 11 races. I think Chad is doing fine. Certainly room for improvement but that can be said for everyone. I feel confident they will get better and compete for wins. It's not like last year when all of SHR was off. Harvick is arguably the best driver right now and Kurt has already won. Even Danica was quick this weekend. 14 was strong until he got back in dirty air. Give Smoke clean air and that car comes alive. It's only 11 races in and Tony missed nearly half the year last year. Give it time.

So I guess it's not Chads job to make the right calls and get Tony to the front? Yes he made three calls earlier in the year that worked. Don't forget, Tony was running 20th or worse with less than 20 laps to go in those races, there was nothing to lose by making those calls. How many good calls has he made since? The only reason he was running toward the front in Kansas, was thanks to Harvicks setup, not something Chad figured out. As soon as he had to start making changes to try to keep up with the track, Tony went back to running in the 20"s. I hope you are right, I hope he figures it out, and they start winning races. I just don't see that happening soon enough to get Tony into the Chase!
<<

Annalee

Post Mon May 12, 2014 10:23 pm

Do any of you remember 2011....Do any of you remember what he said then.....that was Tony Stewart....
This is Tony Stewart , he hasn't changed....He has a new crew chief.........as Tony signed off on his scanner.....he said we found something and I will talk to you ( Chad) about it later, when we debrief......Remember who you are talking about......Remember what he can do!!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue May 13, 2014 1:52 pm

I am with you Annalee.............this is TONY STEWART we are talking about. This is OUR guy. The guy who MAKES things happen.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

jdpirate

Post Wed May 14, 2014 12:23 pm

I really hate Monday morning quarterbacking.... if you weren't there (and listening on raceview doesn't count because things happen in the pits that isn't discussed on the radios).
Having said that..... I haven't given up on Tony and the team. Fact is, I won't give up on him winning at least one race this year. If he doesn't by the end of the year, well, no, I still won't give up!
I'm living my life the way I want to.... Tony Stewart
[]Never Quit...... Marcus Luttrell
<<

14Smokem

Post Wed May 14, 2014 2:08 pm

My Thoughts...... Yeh I know.... So what.... :D :D
Attachments
Never Give Up.jpg
Never Give Up.jpg (24.71 KiB) Viewed 713 times
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed May 14, 2014 7:38 pm

14Smokem wrote:My Thoughts...... Yeh I know.... So what.... :D :D

LOL
Go down fighting I always say :mrgreen:

BTW listening to their radios you will learn a lot more about whats happening in the pits than listening to the TV people who seem to be simply stupid & always relay wrong info.

Someone in the chat room that was listening to Tony's radio mentioned Tony was happy to learn something at the end of the race. (don't remember exactly what was said) but I didn't get the feeling Tony was mad at his CC.

I think Harvick & Gordon were really the only ones to really hit on set ups.

All the others for the most part dealt will ill handling cars almost all night. (Actually Danica's car was handling really well too)

Remember this was a brand new tire compound that had no testing on it. Chad wasn't the only CC trying to figure out the characteristic of what the tire does when it cycles. A good 35+ teams had the same problem. Why make Chad the bad guy for simple lack of information that a lot of teams struggled with all night long.

Even worse is why am I defending someone from tony's crew?
Nevermind what I said. Fire everybody every 5 races I say :twisted:
ImageImageImage
<<

andystowe

Post Thu May 15, 2014 3:28 pm

Annalee wrote:Do any of you remember 2011....Do any of you remember what he said then.....that was Tony Stewart....
This is Tony Stewart , he hasn't changed....He has a new crew chief.........as Tony signed off on his scanner.....he said we found something and I will talk to you ( Chad) about it later, when we debrief......Remember who you are talking about......Remember what he can do!!

Did Tony Say "we found something" to CJ after the race Saturday night? If so...is that all he said?
PreviousNext

Return to Tony