FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony turned down return of Greg Zipadelli to Pit Box...

<<

Annalee

Post Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:32 pm

Tony turned down return of Greg Zipadelli to Pit Box...

Former crew chief Greg Zipadelli says Tony Stewart needs to be told things he doesn't want to hear.
Jerry Markland/Getty Images

There is an old saying .......You can never go back..... but I don't know about these two.....There is something so very special about the chemistry between them, they seem like brothers, I swear they even look alike....They are so good for one another.......I hope with all my heart that Chad can bring some of the ole Tony back again, and find the magic in the set up so that he has a car he can drive....The rest will come.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Tony Stewart and Greg Zipadelli won 33 races and two NASCAR championships together over a successful decade together.
They split after the 2008 season when Stewart left to become co-owner of Stewart-Haas Racing, and Stewart begins this season with his third different crew chief since Zipadelli.
It's certainly evidence Stewart has struggled to find the same chemistry he had with Zipadelli all those years. So why not just reunite with Zipadelli?
Zipadelli told The Associated Press on Friday it crossed his mind, and he even he offered last year to return to the pit box this season with Stewart.
The three-time Cup champion wouldn't entertain the idea.
"He wouldn't let me. He shot me down pretty quick," said Zipadelli, who as vice president of competition at SHR manages all four of SHR's Sprint Cup teams.
Zipadelli admitted he misses calling races and the competition side of being a crew chief - something he didn't anticipate when he left Joe Gibbs Racing after the 2011 season to move into a management role for Stewart. He still got into the action calling 10 races in 2012 for Danica Patrick, but was strictly behind the scenes all of last year.
"I miss the adrenaline. I really do," said Zipadelli, who also thinks the crew chief position has changed the last few years into "just 24/7 worry. You worry about these guys and if you did everything that we could for them. Can we make it through the races? Are the pit stops going to be good? It's just a completely, completely different feeling.
"Back then, crew chiefing was so much more adrenaline. Ups and downs, I loved it. It's what drives you. Now it's just worry, 365 days a year. And there aren't the same highs."
But he was still willing to give it a try again with Stewart when it was decided late last season to replace Steve Addington atop the pit box.
SHR ultimately hired former Martin Truex Jr. crew chief Chad Johnston, who will get his first chance to work with Stewart on Feb. 14 when doctors are expected to clear him to drive for the first time since breaking his right leg in an August sprint car crash. His first day of practice comes a day before the exhibition Sprint Unlimited at Daytona International Speedway.
Johnston will be trying to recreate what Addington and Darian Grubb before him could not - the give-and-take relationship that Stewart and Zipadelli forged from their first day together as rookies in 1999.
"I think it's hard to have what we had," Zipadelli said. "Instantly, we learned to have mutual respect for each other. We didn't always have a like every day of our lives together, but there wasn't a day in those 10 years that I didn't feel like he didn't have my back and there wasn't one single day of his life where he didn't know I had his back. We may have argued and fought and went through a lot of crap, but at the end of the day, we both wanted the same thing and believed in each other.
"That sometimes is hard to come. He's a different person now than he was then. He's changed a lot, he's mellowed a bit. But, he needs someone to push him at times and tell him things he doesn't want to hear.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Tony turned down return of Greg Zipadelli to Pit Box...

I'm hoping that magic returns too. This was a great interview.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:20 pm

I also think this was an interesting interview. No one can really go back so I can see Tony wanting Zippy to stay in the management role he has. I thought it was Zippy who wanted to get off the rat race of CC. Tony will get magic back. He can will just about anything.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

dirt93

Post Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:21 pm

Is it bad that I think Chad Johnston is kinda cute?? :D :lol:
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

jdpirate

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:41 pm

It will be an interesting first few weeks. Daytona can be a tough place (because of all the attention, hype et al) to start off as your "first date"... Tony will be so excited to be racing again...he'll be difficult to rein in if need be. I hope they find the 'magic' really quick.
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

jdpirate

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:42 pm

dirt93 wrote:Is it bad that I think Chad Johnston is kinda cute?? :D :lol:

Nah, :lol: You can think it...
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

Outlaw7841

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:54 pm

Tony and Zippy have always said they are brothers. But i believe that with Stewart Haas Racing expanding to 4 cars, Tony coming back, i honestly believe he just wanted Zippy to focus on the performance side of it and not have another situation like last year where they're not having to overwork and play catch up and having to use they're test's early in the season like they did.
<<

kim92164

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Doc, there's your Chad, lol. 8-)
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 am

New Year, New Chad!!
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 am

id cal him copycat chad, but he hasnt proved nothing :D
I miss you Frehley........
<<

racer1

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:47 pm

Well--give it 10 races or so and then well see what Tony thinks far as his new CC that is? The problem with Tony, is that he doesn't admit when hes made a bad decision like firing Grubb even after he won the Championship with him, as most everyone in Nascar was "what" after that one. Course Tony has always said he needs Zippy to basically be in charge of all the teams etc--so--we'll see??

Ok here it is as you know its coming--Give Zippy to Danica since he wants back in the pits, so she has a chance anyway to get better? Iam amazed Tony & co. s cant see whats wrong with Gibson--really? How bad does she have to be this yr before someone notices? Course we may be surprised--hope so? :roll:

Heres one for fun--who wins the first race this yr out of the 4 drivers? I say Harvick --but lots of new people at SHR so--what if no one wins??? Tony said recently that he expects him, Harvick and Kurt to all make the chase and Danica to just improve--I say only 2 of them make the chase? :roll:
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Thank you Racer for re-saying that ALL Tony expects of Danica is ... to gain more experience. Quite frankly, I've said the same thing until I turned blue in the face! LOL Never did me any good. LOL

Fans or haters seem to think she is out there on parr w/the most of the big names...and even she admits she's not - she's just past a rookie, gaining experience and that is ALL Tony cares about - not where she places. I'm guessing here... but when she places in the low 30's or hi 20's - Tony doesn't care about that... what he probably cares more about is going over the race and saying stuff like "See how you did this?" kind of stuff and that she learns. Tony knows he can't race PROFESSIONALLY for ever ... and is grooming his protegees, for his retirement! :-)

Sorry, off topic.... ;-) So shoot me! :-P hee hee hee

I wish Greg all the best professionally. :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:33 pm

racer1 wrote:Well--give it 10 races or so and then well see what Tony thinks far as his new CC that is? The problem with Tony, is that he doesn't admit when hes made a bad decision like firing Grubb even after he won the Championship with him, as most everyone in Nascar was "what" after that one. Course Tony has always said he needs Zippy to basically be in charge of all the teams etc--so--we'll see??

Ok here it is as you know its coming--Give Zippy to Danica since he wants back in the pits, so she has a chance anyway to get better? Iam amazed Tony & co. s cant see whats wrong with Gibson--really? How bad does she have to be this yr before someone notices? Course we may be surprised--hope so? :roll:

Heres one for fun--who wins the first race this yr out of the 4 drivers? I say Harvick --but lots of new people at SHR so--what if no one wins??? Tony said recently that he expects him, Harvick and Kurt to all make the chase and Danica to just improve--I say only 2 of them make the chase? :roll:

I kinda think Kurt's gonna win the first race for his new team, reason being, Gene's deeeeep pockets and he REALLY wants to show Tony that his under-handed stunt was a good move.....I gotta agree, 3/4 drivers make the Chase
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:52 pm

even in the tony thread, we have to read about danica <eyeroll>
I miss you Frehley........
<<

racer1

Post Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:58 pm

Ist off--Danica is part of SHR and apparently you (MJ) think its ok to talk about any other driver at SHR regardless of the topic, but NOT HER, so get over yourself as your "you know what" is showing--again as usual. :roll:

I chose Harvick to win the first race basically because Tony may not be healed and hasn't worked with the new CC enough for this first big race. Also youre right about Kurt maybe winning first, but what I see is Kurt is so anxious to show his new boss & owner that he can win for him, he will drive desperate and wreckless and that only leads to disaster--but we'll see? :roll:
Next

Return to Tony