FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Infection caused Stewart's latest surgery

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 am

Infection caused Stewart's latest surgery

Tony Stewart says he's eager for his doctor's appointment Wednesday to see how an infection that has sidetracked his recovery is healing. Stewart said in a video chat Tuesday night on NASCAR.com that the third surgery on his broken right leg Oct. 7 was because of the infection. "That was the biggest thing they talked about after the surgery,'' said Stewart, who had two surgeries shortly after he broke his right leg in a sprint car crash Aug. 5 in Iowa. "I was more worried about bones healing and skin healing. The doctor was more worried about infection and really said the first two months were kind of the critical time. We were at the end of that two months for the most part and, all of a sudden, a spot popped up that was infected and that caused the surgery last week. I went from starting to walk again - not great, not just walking around the house like normal, but I could take eight or 10 steps at a time - to having to spend the majority of the day again (after the surgery) laying down."
Stewart said he's thought about Wednesday's doctor visit for the last three days. He's curious to see how his leg is healing since the infected area has been wrapped. "I'm really looking forward to getting back to physical therapy again and starting to get back on my feet again," he said.(Motor Racing Network)(10-16-2013)
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:16 am

Re: Infection caused Stewart's latest surgery

I hope he got a good report and can get back to his pt. :D
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

TishR

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:25 am

I am glad they caught it as fast as they did. He said it was only the size of a dime.

I agree HH I hope all went well with his doctor's appt. and he can resume his therapy.
Tish
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:06 pm

I think its Rodney Childers that will be at the shop next week to help Zippy, set up Harvick's team........Tony is still recuperating and may go Martinsville.....he needs to stay off the leg and let it heal......I bet keeping him down is no easy task! I am so happy that the surgery was successful!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Greg Zipadelli says that the infection in Tony Stewart's right leg is responding to treatment and that Stewart should be able to do physical therapy within two weeks.
TALLADEGA, Ala. _ Tony Stewart’s infection has responded to treatment, and he should be cleared within two weeks for physical therapy, said Greg Zipadelli, competition director at Stewart-Haas Racing.

Stewart had a third surgery on his right leg Oct. 7 for an infection. He noted in an online video chat this week on NASCAR.com he was looking forward to a doctor’s visit to see how the leg was responding. Zipadelli said Friday at Talladega Superspeedway that “everything looked as good as it possibly could’’ with Stewart’s leg.
Zipadelli said that Stewart is “laying low’’ this week. Stewart, who suffered a broken leg in an Aug. 5 sprint car crash is Iowa, is not expected to be at Talladega this weekend but might go to Martinsville Speedway next weekend.

Stewart’s health was only part of the good news this week at Stewart-Haas Racing. Crew chief Rodney Childers tweeted Friday that he can begin work at the shop next week. Childers will be Kevin Harvick’s crew chief next season. Zipadelli said that Michael Waltrip Racing released Childers from his contract, allowing Childers to begin working at Stewart-Haas Racing before the end of the season.

Zipadelli said having Childers in the shop will be beneficial.

“He can start and put his people together,’’ Zipadelli said. “His priority will be at the shop getting things organized because that’s the new team. There’s nothing. I’ve been ordering toolboxes, (ordering the team’s) trailer, pitboxes and all that stuff. It will be nice to hand off a bunch of that stuff. That will help a lot.’’

Zipadelli also said that team is still working on getting a crew chief for Kurt Busch  for next season.

“We’ve still a handful of options and we’re just kind of working through those,’’ Zipadelli said.

Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Rachael J

Post Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:18 pm

Glad the infection is getting better! :D
<<

TishR

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:06 am

Good news!!
Tish
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:00 pm

Glad to hear about Tony's good news.
MWR almost had to let Childers out of his contract as what was the sense paying someone to do nothing. At least now Rodney Childers can start getting aquainted with SHR.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:34 pm

I think you're right Annalee, keeping Tony down is probably a monumental task. In the link below is the Coke interview video. But, under that is a written piece that explains a lot more than other things I have read. In it, the author says Tony shows him that he had been starting to walk around a little bit - EVEN UP SOME STAIRS! Good grief! keeping this guy down sounds like it is probably impossible!

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/ ... eturn.html
<<

kim92164

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:47 am

Hats off to Eddie Jarvis and his wife. I'm sure they have their hands full keeping Tony corralled, lol. I know when my toe was crushed I got cabin fever and I started getting depressed, which is easy to do.
<<

classic_chevy

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:48 am

Anybody know if he still plans to run the Daytona Nationwide race next season after all this ?

Return to Tony