FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony done, Mark in except Talladega

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Tony done, Mark in except Talladega

SHR just confirmed it. Tony's year is done, Mark will run the rest of the season aside from Talladega (Austin Dillon will drive the car)
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Re: Tony done, Mark in except Talladega

Geez.....I have already thrown up once today....you have made my day complete, I am going back to bed and wake up again and HOPE THIS IS ALL A BAD DREAM!!!.....not a MM fan after he dumped Tony at Daytona and said oh he just couldn't reach his back bumper, when he was lined up behind him!!! That should read Austin in for the rest of the year and MM at Talladega .......sorry but I am very, very, cranky!! :twisted: :evil: :evil: :cry:

This is how I feel.......Image

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:18 pm

I'm not at all surprised that his year is over but that doesn't stop me from being terribly disappointed. Mark being in his car softens a blow a bit.

Annalee with all due respect that's a silly thing to hold against Mark. I want Tony to win the 500 more than just about anything but come on now.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

<<

im4tony

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:30 pm

I figured this is what was going to happen. He has a serious injury and needs to heal and get on the mend for next season. With all this "free" time on his hands he will be productive in other ways. Do I miss him racing, of course, the races have not been the same but we all want what is best for him right now. Maybe he will now realize he is not invincible and it is time to decide what direction he wants to focus on for the future. I want him to be happy at whatever he does but it is a disappointing season without our man.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

Paige31460

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:47 pm

If I actually watch races in the coming months, I think I'm just going to root for the car and not the driver. I'm not a big Mark Martin fan. Never have been. Like with Austin last weekend, I wish him good luck and hope he does well in the 14.

I had a feeling Tony would be out for the rest of the season. Knew it would probably be best for him so his leg could heal fully. Would've cringed at the thought of him coming back too soon and it not healing properly or being re-injured.

I'm a little worried for his competition in 2014. There's going to be a very hungry and motivated Tony in the 14.
Racing Super Fan

Favorite Drivers: Tony Stewart, A.J. Allmendinger, Kyle Busch, Kurt Busch, Helio Castroneves, Simon Pagenaud, Ozz Negri, John Pew, Jenson Button, Kimi Raikkonen
Favorite Teams: Stewart-Haas Racing, Michael Shank Racing, Joe Gibbs Racing
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:09 pm

I knew when I heard about this injury, I pretty much knew he was out for the rest of the season and I also knew that there was no way I was going to be happy with who ever Tony picked to be his replacement because nobody is as good as Tony out there in my mind as a driver. As a fan, you cannot expect me to feel any other way.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

TishR

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:54 pm

I think we all knew in the back of our minds that Tony would not be back the rest of the year but we were all holding that glimmer of hope. I am glad that Tony did realize ( probably with some pounding over the head by Zippy and the doctors) that he has to heal properly and cannot rush things so he can kick some butt in the future. As to Mark Martin, Tony did choose him, so be it. The rest of the races this year will just not be the same!
Tish
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Needing a rod inserted took Tony's injury to a much higher level. I'm not at all surprised that he will miss the rest of the season. At some point a lot of his time will be taken up with physical therapy (more than stretching for soda cookies). Most bone breaks take a basic 6 weeks to heal, but this injury sounds like a much bigger deal.

So at this point in the season, any race team would be scrambling to find replacement drivers. It's going to be a patchwork at best. They are fortunate to be able to get one driver of Mark's caliber for all but one of the races. Austin for Dega was an easy, obvious choice. So, the #14's schedule for the remainder of the 2013 season is locked in, barring any further injuries. The team can now just get down to work.

The Kurt issue and a 4th team is a separate matter.

Heal well, Tony. Follow doctor's orders and we'll be excited to see you back in the #14 at Daytona in February. #SMOKEWillRise
Last edited by HiddenHollow on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Typical Mark Martin:

**********************************************************************************************

Veteran sports writer Jim Utter covers NASCAR for The Charlotte Observer and its racing site, ThatsRacin.com. In this space, Jim writes about all things NASCAR and other forms of racing which may also be relevant ... or not.

Who does Mark Martin compare Tony Stewart to?

NASCAR veteran Mark Martin was officially announced as Tony Stewart's substitute driver for the remainder of the 2013 season at Stewart-Haas Racing. When asked to talk about the opportunity to fill in for Stewart, Martin had this to say about the three-time Sprint Cup Series champion and what other racing legend Martin believes Stewart is similar to:

"Well, I'm incredibly honored. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding how Tony could possibly feel that way toward me when the guy is so amazing, the modern‑day A.J. Foyt. When I was growing up, A.J. drove anything and everything and was fast and won in everything he drove. And Tony is the guy today that really does that and is successful at it," Martin said.

"So it's hard for me to comprehend that, but he's made great friends ‑‑ we've been good friends for quite some time with amazing respect, mutual respect. It's an honor to be in the situation where we're able to do this. I'm really, really sorry that it comes at the expense of Tony getting hurt. But one thing I do want to say that is really important here is the amazing amount of cooperation that it took to get this deal done by so many parties, and I haven't seen this much cooperation in the past, and I think it was largely in part for the incredible amount of respect that everyone has in the sport for Tony Stewart."
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:31 pm

There is something to be said in that statement...think about that for a second...when was the last time we saw a Toyota driver able to cross lines to drive in either a Ford or Chevy or Dodge in recent years. It has been awhile, I can't remember when the last time was and I am sure there will be somebody on here who will.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:38 pm

beaverpond wrote:There is something to be said in that statement...think about that for a second...when was the last time we saw a Toyota driver able to cross lines to drive in either a Ford or Chevy or Dodge in recent years. It has been awhile, I can't remember when the last time was and I am sure there will be somebody on here who will.

Last I remember anything like this off the top of my head is 2002. Biffle was driving Fords for Roush (obviously) in the Busch Series and ran some Cup races for Andy Petree (Chevrolet) and Richard Petty (Dodge) after Bobby Hamilton and Jerry Nadeau had been injured during the fall.

<<

housesandhogans

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 pm

Anybody remember this? Seems prophetic now in some ways:

http://instagram.com/p/YyhkQIK1eg/#
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Smoke14TS wrote:
beaverpond wrote:There is something to be said in that statement...think about that for a second...when was the last time we saw a Toyota driver able to cross lines to drive in either a Ford or Chevy or Dodge in recent years. It has been awhile, I can't remember when the last time was and I am sure there will be somebody on here who will.

Last I remember anything like this off the top of my head is 2002. Biffle was driving Fords for Roush (obviously) in the Busch Series and ran some Cup races for Andy Petree (Chevrolet) and Richard Petty (Dodge) after Bobby Hamilton and Jerry Nadeau had been injured during the fall.

I found this article which goes into a little more detail of what had to happen and you are right - it was a lot:

Martin likes a challenge and that's good: Subbing for Smoke will be one

FOX Sports Tom Jensen Updated Aug 19, 2013 5:40 PM ET

The reason Mark Martin will replace Tony Stewart in the No. 14 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet SS for 12 of the final 13 races of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup season is that helps the team he’s joining, as well as Michael Waltrip Racing, the team he’s leaving.

Stewart has been sidelined since he broke both his right tibia and right fibula in a sprint car crash Aug. 5 at Southern Iowa Speedway in Oskaloosa, Iowa. On Monday, SHR announced that Stewart is officially out for the balance of the year, to be replaced by Martin.

The announcement came one day after Austin Dillon piloted the No. 14 SHR to a 14th-place finish in the Pure Michigan 400 at Michigan International Speedway. Dillon will drive the car again at Talladega Superspeedway in October, with Martin taking over the remainder of the races on the schedule.

It’s a complicated deal in the sense that it required an awful lot of approvals:

• Michael Waltrip Racing had to release Martin from his contract to drive the No. 55 Toyota for the balance of this season.

• Toyota had to give its blessing to let Martin change manufacturers.

• Aaron’s, Martin’s sponsor at MWR, had to OK it, as did Stewart’s primary sponsors, Bass Pro Shops and Mobil 1.

Such cooperation among fiercely competitive race teams, manufacturers and sponsors is unusual.

“Things like that are difficult to get worked out,” said SHR Competition Director Greg Zipadelli. “Everybody was very respectful of each other, I believe. It just seems to be a good fit for all of us. It’s about as close to a miracle as you could have happen in such a short period of time.”

It was team owner Stewart who pegged Martin as the first choice.

“I’ll be honest with you, it just kind of happened,” said Zipadelli. “Everybody was very cooperative. Michael Waltrip Racing — hats off to them for allowing Mark to help us out and them getting a jump start on next year.

“It was like, ‘Hey, you think this would ever work, Mark?’

“And he goes, ‘I don’t know. Let me go check.’ It was just that simple, that casual a conversation.”

“I think all the stars just lined up for this to work out because anyone along the way, including Mobil 1, Chevrolet or Bass Pro Shops could have probably stopped this from happening,” said Martin. “So there were so many pieces to this puzzle, it was a lot more complicated than it looked at face value. But the reason it was able to be worked out is because everyone was able to win in this situation.”

Indeed. Once everyone looked around, they realized it was good for all parties. SHR gets arguably the best available replacement driver in Martin; MWR can put Brian Vickers in the No. 55 for the end of the 2013 season in advance of him taking over that ride full-time in 2014.

“It's a really big deal for our organization to be able to get some more races in with Brian and the team as we prepare for 2014,” said team founder and co-owner Michael Waltrip.

In Martin, SHR is getting an extremely steady and capable fill-in. During his career, Martin has finished second in the NASCAR Sprint Cup points standings five times, most recently in 2009. He has posted 40 race victories, 56 poles, 271 top-fives, 452 top-10s and 12,879 laps led in 870 career Sprint Cup starts. A total of 21 of those victories came at tracks where Martin will drive the No. 14.

Just as importantly, he’s driven with a wide range of teams — Roush Fenway Racing, Dale Earnhardt Inc. Hendrick Motorsports and Michael Waltrip Racing among them — so he should be able to transition easily into the No. 14 car. Or as easily as anyone can on such short notice.

Now comes the hard part: making it work.

“It is like jumping into ice cold water,” said Martin, who takes over from Stewart at Bristol Motor Speedway this weekend. “We're going to go into Bristol and we're going to have to do race setup, qualifying setup and qualifying all on Friday, boom. We don't get another crack at it on Saturday. We don't get another chance to think about it.”

But Martin said he’s up for it.

“It's going to be challenging, and challenges are good for me,” he said. “… My motivation for racing is not for points, it's for racing. I want to race, and I want to finish if I'm running 20th, I'll bust my butt to run 19th. And that's one more point, but it's for one more position. And I say that just trying to explain the fact that we will race as hard as we can race, and we will finish as high as we can in every race.”

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

rjsaunders

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Kinda figured Tony was done for the season and yes the races will not be the same without Tony!!

All we can do is pull for the 14 CAR and SHR. Cheer for Ryan and Danica! Hope Tony recovers and comes back to kick #### next year!!!!!!
<<

Rachael J

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:57 pm

I was not surprised, but still disappointed. But we all want Tony healthy and ready to go next year! I am pleased with their choice of Mark. Go #14! So get well Smoke! #SMOKEwillrise
Next

Return to Tony