FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kurt Busch to SHR

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Re: Kurt Busch to SHR

I don't get why people still act like what happened in 2007-08 is a big deal now. That's an eternity in our sport. They've had no issues since (Richmond aside and short tracks #### everyone off). Remember, Tony was one of the ones who came to Kurt's defense after he was suspended last year.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Taskforce14

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:45 pm

A lot of people demonising Tony were haters to begin with. It doesn't matter what he does some people will hate on him no matter what. Same goes for Kurt Busch. Btw has anyone ever listened to Harvick during a race? He is almost just as bad as Busch is when it comes to whining. But I'm getting off topic here. I will be curious to see what happens if this fourth team doesn't work out right away next year. Then I could see it getting pretty rocky at SHR. They definitely have their work cut out for them now.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Taskforce14 wrote:A lot of people demonising Tony were haters to begin with. It doesn't matter what he does some people will hate on him no matter what. Same goes for Kurt Busch. Btw has anyone ever listened to Harvick during a race? He is almost just as bad as Busch is when it comes to whining. But I'm getting off topic here. I will be curious to see what happens if this fourth team doesn't work out right away next year. Then I could see it getting pretty rocky at SHR. They definitely have their work cut out for them now.

Every driver I know of except Carl Edwards has blown his lid at his team and maybe I just haven't heard Carl do it. And yes, Kevin can be rough. I listened to him during the Nationwide race at Las Vegas in 2010, they had an awful stop early in the race and 100 laps later he was still griping about pit road any time Ernie Cope keyed the radio. They wound up winning the race but Kevin was still a little down on the pit crew even afterwards.

It is just easy to trash Kurt (I should know, I've done plenty of it). His brain and his mouth have been disconnected a lot. One thing that continually comes to mind is after he and Jimmie banged on the last lap at Pocono. Whoever was interviewing Kurt asked if it would carry through to the Chase and Kurt goes "It always does between the 48 and 22." Keep in mind, at this point Johnson was a five-time defending champ while Kurt hadn't been remotely close to him in any chase fights since '04. He's made himself easy to dislike over the years, but I guess what is passed is past. He still isn't one of my favorite drivers but neither was Newman when he came over and I rooted for him. Hope he comes here and does a good job.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Taskforce14

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:37 pm

I guess my point is that a lot of these guys are jerks when they are in the car. Some just do a better job of playing nice when they are out of the car.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:40 pm

This is from an ESPN article:
Haas admitted Tuesday he went rogue in courting Kurt Busch for a non-existent fourth team at Stewart-Haas Racing while Stewart was incapacitated with a broken leg earlier this month. When he finally brought his business partner up to speed on his expansion plans, Stewart balked.

He went "rogue". Would you want that fir a business partner? A spouse? A friend?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:49 pm

Makes no sense to me why people would "blame" Tony for hiring the elf when Gene just finished a great explanation of how it was all his doing. :?
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

TishR

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:04 pm

The comment Gene made about if Tony didn't like it he could leave the building hit a nerve with a lot of people too.

Kenny Wallace ‏@Kenny_Wallace
It pisses me off to hear Gene Haas talk negatively about Tony Stewart, Gene is wealthy BUT I don't care, Tony made him a winner

Some professional business man. Man with him pulling this it makes me wonder how he runs Haas Automation.
Tish
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:45 pm

TishR wrote:The comment Gene made about if Tony didn't like it he could leave the building hit a nerve with a lot of people too.

Kenny Wallace ‏@Kenny_Wallace
It pisses me off to hear Gene Haas talk negatively about Tony Stewart, Gene is wealthy BUT I don't care, Tony made him a winner

Some professional business man. Man with him pulling this it makes me wonder how he runs Haas Automation.

he told tony he could leave the building if he didn't like it?
ImageImageImage
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:05 pm

Updated Aug 27, 2013 6:46 PM ET

http://bit.ly/19LigBk

Gene Haas, the founder and co-owner of Stewart-Haas Racing, did something unusual during Tuesday’s press conference to announce Kurt Busch as the team’s fourth driver for 2014: He spoke with a level of candor rarely heard at NASCAR events these days.

And he made it abundantly clear that he was calling the shots for the team, at least at the moment.

Haas admitted that his partner and co-owner, Tony Stewart, was opposed to expanding to four cars next year, and with good reason: Stewart has begun a long rehab period to repair two bone breaks suffered in his right leg in an Aug. 5 sprint car crash.

And on top of that, this year’s expansion at SHR — adding a third car for Danica Patrick — hasn’t exactly worked out swimmingly. That didn’t deter Haas one bit.

“I don't think Tony was exactly enthralled with what I did,” Haas said of the signing of Busch. Then, laughing, Haas added, “But I think he saw it my way, you know. Either that or get out of the building.”

It may well have been a joke on Haas’ part, but judging from some of the nervous looks on the faces of SHR personnel gathered at the team’s headquarters in Kannapolis, N.C., not everyone was laughing.

QUICK STUDY
Kurt Busch has been on the fast track from the start. Check out his top racing accomplishments.

Since starting the old Haas CNC Racing in 2002, which became Stewart-Haas Racing in 2009, Haas generally has kept a very low profile. In the SHR years, Stewart has always been the public face of the team. Whether it’s because Stewart is out injured, or Haas has decided to assert himself, it became very obvious Tuesday that hiring Busch and dropping Ryan Newman was Haas’ decision.

Haas said he has talked to Busch in years past but the discussions began to heat up after the two chatted at a Chevrolet dinner during the Brickyard 400 weekend in Indianapolis. Eight days after the Brickyard race, Stewart broke his leg, and has been out of action since.

So Haas stepped up and brokered the deal to sign Busch.

“I wanted to go forward with that,” Haas said. “Tony broke his leg. I didn't have really a chance to talk to Tony about it at all since he wasn't really talking to anybody. So I kind of did this on my own, probably overstepped my authority a tick there. I'm not used to having too many authorities to work with. I've been pretty much on my own. I did realize that Tony might be a little bit upset about it. He was. He was a little upset.”

SHR’s competition director, Greg Zipadelli, said Stewart was not opposed to a fourth car or hiring Busch, but he wanted to wait another year.

LONG ROAD BACK
In joining Stewart-Haas Racing, Kurt Busch has once again found a place with one of NASCAR's elite organizations. FULL STORY

“Tony was very much in favor of the fourth team,” said Zipadelli. “What Tony was against was us trying to get it done for next year. Just so you don't read anything more into it. … It's an opportunity of a lifetime for a race team to have a caliber of a driver like this. I know he's very excited about it now. But it's a little overwhelming when you're first hit with it.”

By then, the deal was on the table.

“When I finally did talk to him (Stewart), he was saying, ‘Maybe we should wait a little while,’” said Haas. “I think he actually said, ‘You need to wait a while.’ I kind of made an offer to Kurt here, ‘I don't know if he's going to take it or not, and if he takes it, I'm not backing down.’ That's where we were.”

Haas’ machine-tool company, Haas Automation, will be Busch’s full-time sponsor next season. And Haas said that stepping up as a sponsor was one of the reasons he chose not to re-sign Ryan Newman for next year, and instead hire Busch.

“I just simply wanted a change and an opportunity to do something different,” said Haas. “I don't think this says anything negative about Ryan. He's been a great driver, done a great job. After five years I just feel that I want to take hold of an opportunity that was presented to me. It gives me a chance to, you know, be a sponsor and direct things the way I wanted to direct them.”

As for the complicated dynamics of being a 50-50 partner with Stewart, Haas admitted things could be changing.

“I think the most interesting thing was the fact that Kurt Busch and Haas Automation coming together was really done by me,” Haas said. “I guess that is different than what you've seen in the past. In that respect, yes, there's going to be new dynamics. My main goal here is to win races. I think Tony's main goal is not only to win races but to run a successful business. I'm more interested in seeing the winning part of it. Maybe Tony is going to be more the businessman now.”
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:32 pm

The above story has many angles in it. It was Gene's idea to stay out of the lime light even so he knew the right time to get his way and do it with a flare. He has the rights to everything he did except he didn't do it with much class having Tony dealing with a devastating injury. Now that wasn't Haas's fault but for a few days it made Tony look like a liar and a dim wit. Haas did clear up some but I sort of got a threat notion out of it like "My way or the highway". Mabe in a few weeks Tony will beable to figure all of this out and come to gripes with it.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:23 pm

As for the complicated dynamics of being a 50-50 partner with Stewart, Haas admitted things could be changing.

I'm more interested in seeing the winning part of it. Maybe Tony is going to be more the businessman now.”
what exactly does all this mean? Is he planning take some of the ownership back?
the 2nd part. Does Tony plan on retiring or something?
Haas just reminds me of Jerry Jones wanting to prove he could do what Jimmy Johnson was doing.
ImageImageImage
<<

TishR

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:51 pm

Maybe Haas thinks he can run things now on his own. Let's throw some more into this mess -- Rick Hendrick is the one who brokered this deal to get Tony on board in the beginning and we all know that Tony would not do this without Chevrolet's blessing and promised support. I wonder what Rick and the Chevy reps are thinking about Mr. Haas now especially with the comments he made today.

I agree with your post on the other thread Schmoopy sounds like Haas is jealous of Tony because he comes in and in one season both cars make the chase; three years a title. Everything he could not do in the previous 10 years of trying.
Tish
<<

kim92164

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:06 pm

With friends like Mr. Haas, Tony doesn't need an enemy.
<<

Rachael J

Post Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:07 pm

All this absolutely disgusts me! :evil: Haas has no class. Especially when a fellar is down with a broken leg, in the hospital, having 2 surgeries! :x I'm not one to express my opinion much, but this just awful. Especially after reading this article....... Gene Haas made decision to hire Kurt Busch behind Tony Stewart's back. READ MORE: http://bit.ly/1835axr
Last edited by Rachael J on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

eve

Post Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:22 am

Right now my concern is for Tony. Not only does he face a long painful rehab, he now knows he has a partner that can't be trusted. Gene has an ego that his checkbook may be able to cover but little else. I really think is all has to do with being jealous of Tony. Tony did in 3 years what Haas couldn't do in 10. He thinks by pushing his boy toy on SHR and Tony, that it will put him on the same footing as Tony. Guess again. Tony's resume buries Haas. Tony is a better businessman and he knows how to treat the people who work for and with him. Let's give Eddie Jarvis and Brett Froog a chance to sort this all out and see where Tony stands. Rick Hendrick has said that he would not let Tony fail in this. I can't image Rick is very pleased with what has taken place over the last couple of weeks. I truly believe that Haas had this contract written and waiting for Kurt. All he needed was for Tony is be somehow otherwise engaged for him to pull the trigger on it. He took advantage of Tony's accident like he was waiting for something like that to happen. That's just sick. Kurt will be poison for SHR. Kurt will take advantage of the fact that Haas backed him and Tony didn't want to. Kurt will think he can do whatever he wants and treat the staff like his personal whipping people. I wouldn't be surprised if SHR has a problem finding personnel for this team. Who would want to work with someone who has a history of berating his crew at every turn? Only time will tell, but it isn't going to be pretty. A lot will go on behind the scenes that we won't know about and shouldn't. That's internal SHR business. I just hope that in addition to Zippy's rubber room, they put some sound proofing and padded walls in Tony's hauler, they are going to need it.
PreviousNext

Return to Tony