FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Mark Martin In The #14... Maybe

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Mark Martin In The #14... Maybe

Mark Martin a possibility to drive Tony Stewart’s car

By Bob Pockrass Sporting News

BROOKLYN, Mich. — Mark Martin likes to drive fast racecars, and Tony Stewart’s No. 14 car certainly would be on that list.

Whether Martin could drive Stewart’s Stewart-Haas Racing car in a substitute role for the remainder of the 2013 season is still to be determined.

Martin, who currently shares the Michael Waltrip Racing No. 55 car with Brian Vickers and Michael Waltrip, said Friday afternoon that he had been contacted by SHR officials about his availability while Stewart is recovering from a broken leg.

The idea became more plausible this week when MWR announced Tuesday that Vickers would drive the No. 55 car full-time in 2014 and 2015 with Aaron’s as the sponsor.

If Vickers could start driving the car full time immediately that would only help the team for next season.

“It sounds logical but there’s a lot of complications that go with that,” the 54-year-old Martin said. “As of right now, I’m driving the Aaron’s Dream Machine (for MWR) and tickled to death.

“… Not directly from Tony, but obviously the question came up (from SHR) early on. It’s just really more complicated than it looks at face value.”

Martin, who is running 24 races this season, is not scheduled to race at Bristol, New Hampshire, Talladega and Martinsville. He seemed open to running all of those races except Talladega.

“I haven’t thought of it,” Martin said about running the No. 14 car in just those races. “We just really haven’t gone that road because there’s a lot of stuff that has been going on.”

SHR Competition Director Greg Zipadelli said he hopes to have two drivers in the No. 14 car the rest of the year but wouldn’t mention who the other would be in addition to Austin Dillon, who is driving Stewart’s car this weekend at Michigan.

Stewart obviously has a healthy respect for Martin, who has 40 career wins in 869 career Cup starts.

“I’ve got contracts,” Martin said. “It’s not as simple as you guys think. We’ve got Toyota involved, we’ve got Aaron’s, we’ve got Michael Waltrip, we’ve got teams and cars and stuff.

“I’m tickled to death to be driving a hot rod and will do what everybody wants.”

Martin also doesn’t know what he’ll be doing in 2014. He has been mentioned as a possibility for Earnhardt Ganassi Racing in the No. 42 car, where he could possibly share the car and be a mentor to up-and-comer Kyle Larson.

The only thing Martin ruled out was a full-time Cup ride in 2014.

“The reason I haven’t talked about 2014 is because I felt like the landscape was probably going to change, and it’s starting to change rapidly,” Martin said. “I have no idea (what I will do).

“I promise, no one has talked to anyone — from my side — with Ganassi. … There hasn’t even been the first discussion about that. I have no idea. I’m just as interested as you guys what Chip Ganassi has up his sleeve.”

*********************************************************************************************************

Jeff Gluck has published a similar story for USA Today :arrow: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... n/2666037/
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Re: Mark Martin In The #14... Maybe

And guess what.....I bet he can't wear Tony's fire suit either!!! :lol: :lol: Alterations!!
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Mark could make u-turns in Tony's fire suit. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:11 am

I was actually surprised at hearing about this. But, I would like this pick. I think Mark would be a fan favorite and would do well by their sponsors too. Now, that it has come up, I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:52 am

A deal is in the works that would offer Brian Vickers more seat time in the #55 Aaron's Toyota  and allow Mark Martin to pursue the opportunity to drive the #14 for the injured Tony Stewart. On Saturday, multiple sources told Fox Sports that Toyota offered Martin its blessing in order to enable Vickers  who was named the full-time driver of the #55 Michael Waltrip Racing Camry on Tuesday  additional races to gel with the team. Vickers is currently racing for the Nationwide Series championship with Joe Gibbs Racing. He is fifth in the NNS point standings. Before SHR inquired on Martin's behalf, the plan was for Vickers to race at Bristol, Martinsville and New Hampshire, where he raced last month. Team owner Michael Waltrip is scheduled to drive the #55 at Talladega. Martin originally was signed up for the balance of races. Certainly, MWR and Aaron's would have to sign off on Martin before SHR can green light the deal. If everything goes according to plan, he could be part of SHR's roster announcement expected late Monday.(FoxSports)(8-18-2013)

from jayski
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:16 am

then ya gonna hear the mark martin rap that he has been spewing out since 06 for every team he raced for " the cars are the best, the crew is great and Steve is the best CC i ever driven for."
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:45 am

GREAT :roll: :roll: :roll: ... RETIRE ALREADY!! Let some of these young, hard chargin' fire breathers in the 14 car. How are potential sponsors gonna see what these kids have got if they're ALWAYS stuck in GARBAGE equipment to start with. If I were Kyle Larson, I'd be climbing the rafters just at the THOUGHT of the 14 being a POSSIBILITY for maybe a race or two.... 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:44 pm

michaeljohn wrote:then ya gonna hear the mark martin rap that he has been spewing out since 06 for every team he raced for " the cars are the best, the crew is great and Steve is the best CC i ever driven for."

don't forget the team is just such a joy to drive for. (then something about how lucky he is)
ImageImageImage
<<

Rachael J

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:48 pm

housesandhogans wrote:I was actually surprised at hearing about this. But, I would like this pick. I think Mark would be a fan favorite and would do well by their sponsors too. Now, that it has come up, I'll be disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Me too! I like Mark and I hope the deal goes through.
My Favorite Drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr., Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:59 pm

Put me down as a thanks but no thank you

Wouldn't JGR have to approve Vickers signing on to drive more cup races for MWR?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

TishR

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Jim Utter (Charlotte Observer) is reporting on Twitter that the official announcement comes tomorrow that Mark Martin will be in the #14.

I did not see this coming with him driving for MWR and it being a Toyota camp. Not so sure how I feel about this one.
Tish
<<

barnes442

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:48 pm

As much as I dislike Martin I think this might be the best situation.

Lets face it putting one of these young guns in the car I thinkmcould be a big mistake. They could overdrive thinkingbthey have something to prove and tear up equipment making the guys at the shop have to work even harder. Another issue could be sponsorship. Several asked why Childress would let Austin drive for Tony. Could it have been a calculated move in order to use their relationship with Bass Pro away from ShR? Why should Shr give some of these young guys a foot in the door with sponsors?

In the end though I am a whole lot less interested in Nascar without Smoke being a part of it. Im just counting down the days until Daytona since it seemsllikely that then is when Smoke will finally rise again
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Bob Dilner gave a good sounds-like-it-could-be-true report on Victory Lane today. It sounded like he actually checked into the stuff. He said that Mark Martin is actually looking to be a coach/consultant next year and that he (Martin) had been in the SHR offices before Tony's accident talking to them about doing that next year at SHR. Then, Tony has his accident. So, now they are looking at bringing him on sooner to help with the 14 for this year. To me, not a bad idea. I like Mark Martin. He's not Tony - but then, no one else is. But, I could see this working out to where they could be flexible with Tony coming or not coming back this year, but still have a driver/coach on their team at their disposal. It is a business issue, though, MWR and Aaron's would have to release Martin from his obligations to them before he could do it.

Return to Tony