FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Stewart causes large wreck in sprint car race

<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:10 am

Stewart causes large wreck in sprint car race

The most well-known driver in the winged-sprint car race Tuesday at Canandaigua Motorsports Park almost became the show-stopper. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Tony Stewart was right at the center of a crash that involved 15 cars on lap 7 of the 25-lap feature race on the half-mile oval dirt track. Stewart, seen later chatting with crew members of other teams, said in an interview over the track's public address system that the accident was his fault. Alysha Ruggles, a 19-year old driver from Canandaigua, was taken to Thompson Hospital in her hometown because of pain in her lower back caused by the accident. Witnesses said that Ruggles' car hit the wheel of another, went into the air 20 to 30 feet and came to a stop 50 to 60 feet later. Crew members for the car driven by Paul Kinney of Canastota said that they believed Kinney was taken to Rochester General Hospital. Kinney had pain in his back and legs but his exact injuries were unknown. "I have never seen anything this bad in a sprint car race, I don't think, or this many cars being taken out in one wreck," said sprint car driver Mike Stelter of Webster. "At least Tony Stewart manned up and said he caused the wreck. "He tried to put the car where it didn't belong. He said it was his fault for trying to force the issue, I guess is a good way to say it."(Democrat and Chronicle)(7-18-2013)

just passin on..................
<<

Jellikit

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:54 am

Re: Stewart causes large wreck in sprint car race

It was already in the Dirt Racing thread.
Glad those 2 were okay.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:29 pm

sorry dont read dirt racing thread......
<<

Jellikit

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:46 pm

meh..no biggie
Was going to post it myself but figured I'd check there first.
I really didn't see it being totally his fault, but rather a product of a dirt racing restart where it seemed the hole opened up. But, he said it was, so I'd take his word at it.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:59 pm

I agree Jellikit, if he says it was, it probably was at least partially his fault. But, to be truthful, isn't that what racing is about? They are all trying to win and they all make mistakes at some point in their careers.

There is one thing that bothers me. Some article had a home video of the race & accident posted (can't honestly remember where, but I've seen it posted in a couple of places). I didn't watch the whole race, but enough to see the accident. But, its what was said later by some people in the stands that bothers me. It seems like they were with the person taking the video, but not really sure of that. Anyway, the one guy kept saying "Tony write a check" and kept going on and on about Tony's deep pockets and that he had more money than anyone else there and so he should pay for all the wrecked cars. Yes, he probably does have deeper pockets than most of the other racers (although he could be losing money on everything for all any of us really know), but is paying for the other racers' cars what racing is all about? Don't they all go into racing knowing that something like this could happen? Granted, it was a fan and not a driver who was saying this. But, for some reason it really hit me the wrong way.
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I know I posted it under the July races I listed for Tony under "racing"
http://www.stewarthaasracing.com/fan/circuit/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5664&start=30

Direct link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFuxfIDZFrU&feature=player_embedded#at=389

New articles are using same long video
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Glad Tony wasn't hurt.....but as for getting out the checkbook....Tony is always very generous and some people just think they can take advantage of that....But with all that happened that is called racing...
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:59 pm

so your glad tony wasnt hurt, but not the others and thats called racing? WOW, you need to take off the rose color glasses, sure he pays for the site as you like to bring up, but that doesnt make him perfect or above anything
<<

dirt93

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:44 pm

I hope everyone is ok not just Tony.

I think those people who were saying Tony has deep pockets are just awful. They have just seen a horrible crash and all they are concerned about is getting paid. Just because Tony has worked very hard to make his money doesn't mean he has to get the checkbook out. It really makes me mad.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Oh MJ .... silly rabbit...

Annalee IS our rose colored glasses! LOL And that's the way some of us like it. ;-)

I think you just 'mis-read' her statement.

Annalee has a HUGE & caring heart :-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 pm

michaeljohn wrote:so your glad tony wasnt hurt, but not the others and thats called racing? WOW, you need to take off the rose color glasses, sure he pays for the site as you like to bring up, but that doesnt make him perfect or above anything

OH,Tony is perfect alright,just ask the rest of the drivers! :? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not paying extra money for tickets just because the side show is here,Kanne and Stewart and that's basicly all it is.The stands have been full for years,we really don't need to pay extra for two Cup drivers-so where is that extra money going? :idea:
I'm a little bummed i'm not at Fonda tonight,but i refuse to shell out money for them! :evil:
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:46 pm

Tony manned up and took responsability,oh that's real special,i'm sure all the drivers who work their a$$e$ off and scrape money together to race really feel better now!! Tony just goes out and buys all new,for himself anyhow!
Last week he whinned because Kinser wouldn't let him by and he wrecked himself! :shock:
Tony is a good driver and i like him in alot of ways,but please keep it real. This is the WOO,a 1,200lb.Winged Sprint car with 900+Hp which is the hardest race car to drive in the world,he ain't that freakin' special!
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:57 pm

I completely understand other drivers being mad about their ruined race cars by a part time driver millionaire.
What I think should be pointed out is his attitude towards Kinser calling his teammate an A-hole for not letting him by, but putting his car where it didn't belong, taking out the field.
If you are a fan of his & agreed with him about kinser, then you sure as Beeep should be mad at Smoke for his move wrecking these other guys cars. When I say mad more or less mean you should understand all these comment by these other teams, instead of having how dare they attitude. What Kinser did was nothing compared to what Tony did.
Don't know if there was any shoestring budget guys (for WoOs) that got caught up in the wreck, but my sympathy would go to them & not tony. & the guy that had to go to the hospital.
ImageImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:21 pm

[quote="michaeljohn"]so your glad tony wasnt hurt, but not the others and thats called racing? WOW, you need to take off the rose color glasses, sure he pays for the site as you like to bring up, but that doesnt make him perfect or above anything[/quote

I've been reading posts on here nearly as long as every one else and not once have I ever seen a post where anyone has said Tony is perfect. But also he isn't the bad guy some can't seem to want us to know over and over again. Oh yes we know everyone has an opinion but i'd prefer I wasn't slapped in the face every time I had an opinion. If one doesn't like what I have to say just put me on your FOE list. I have quite a few on mine. And just for those out there who care. The lady injured, in a story I read, asked the public to back off on Tony as it was an accident and it was just racing.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:44 pm

whats a FOE list?
ImageImageImage
Next

Return to Tony