FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Stewart enjoys success at Daytona.........

<<

Annalee

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Tony Stewart enjoys success at Daytona.........

DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. — There is a reason Tony Stewart enjoys racing at Daytona International Speedway as much as anywhere on the Sprint Cup circuit: he wins on NASCAR’s most celebrated track a lot.Nineteen times, actually, which is second on Daytona’s all-time list behind only Dale Earnhardt’s 34. One of Stewart’s victories came in the 2012 Coke Zero 400, and he’ll try to make it two in a row Saturday night when the green flag drops for the race that signals the start of the second half of NASCAR’s season.“Definitely, any place you win 19 times, you kind of look forward to coming back to,” said Stewart, whose most recent success at Daytona came in February when he won the Nationwide race that preceded the Daytona 500.

The 500, however, is perhaps the biggest hole in the otherwise sparkling resume of Stewart, a three-time Cup champion who has 48 career victories (with at least one in each of his 15 seasons)
“I’d trade a couple of these (summer) races for a Daytona 500,” Stewart said recently. “There’s definitely a lot more pressure in February than there is here in July. You still want to win at Daytona no matter when it is, but there’s a lot more pressure going into the 500 than the 400.”
Stewart was thinking about what it would take to again win Saturday’s race (he’s won four of the summer events at Daytona), for which he qualified 13th Friday. Last year’s victory came when Stewart maneuvered past Greg Biffle and Matt Kenseth late in the race. Stewart crossed the finish line as a huge wreck in Turn 4 unfolded behind him.In doing so, he invoked how one of the NFL’s all-time great quarterbacks does things late in games.“It’s very much what I call a Peyton Manning deal,” said Stewart on Friday. “You are constantly calling an audible in those last two or three laps. It may work. It may not work. You can’t sit there and say, ‘OK, this is the playbook, this is what we do, this is where we want to be on that last lap. There are no guarantees. It’s adjusting to what you think you need to do by what you are seeing in the mirror and what you are seeing in front of you.”

Stewart is 16th in the points standings and would qualify as one of the wild cards for the Chase for the Cup thanks to his victory at Dover in June. Stewart – an owner in his Stewart-Haas Racing team – had gotten off to a slow start this season. Symbolic of that – and his career-long frustrations in the Daytona 500 – was a 41st-place finish in the season opener.

Stewart said his team’s adjustment to the new “Gen 6” car – not the burden of adding Danica Patrick to SHR’s stable of what is now three cars – is the main reason for the shaky beginning.
“We have enough depth to cover three teams,” said Stewart, whose team also includes Ryan Newman. “We planned for the expansion all winter. But with the new car there were a lot of parts and things that we had to really wait late in the offseason for to get completed. We got ourselves
behind with that. I think we have caught up since then“But it was the same for everybody. Some teams just did a better job of getting off on the right foot than we did.”

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:46 pm

Re: Tony Stewart enjoys success at Daytona.........

I hope we have a 2012 repeat tonight.

* crosses fingers*
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:19 pm

Sorry... off topic ... but I just want to shout -

"Tony! Look out for the drill ! ! "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and the way his arm uniform goes into the car... makes him look like he's part of the car .... ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:54 am

Not sure if it is from the same time (but it looks like it), but when they interviewed him at the end of practice since he was practically the last one out there, he actually did trip over the wrench/drill or whatever it is!
<<

kim92164

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:24 am

smokieonefour wrote:Sorry... off topic ... but I just want to shout -

"Tony! Look out for the drill ! ! "

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and the way his arm uniform goes into the car... makes him look like he's part of the car .... ;-)

That's why he does well, he is 1 with the car or is it the car is 1 with him. lol I guess that when he finishes 1st you could even say that he won with the car. Sorry, I'm in a silly mood at 4:30 in the morning. lol
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:50 am

The thing I took away from last night was this.

He knew what he had, was happy and they made virtually no changes to the car during the race.

Maybe, just maybe the 14 team is getting a handle on this car.

Pretty good race overall. My hat is off to JJ/ Chad for their stellar performance.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:17 am

Congrats to Tony & the #14 team on their P2 finish! Now if they could just get their mile-and-a-half program better... :?
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:20 am

SHR has their restrictor plate racing down pat......I think Ryan is a little gun shy of Daytona and Talledega, and you can't blame him.....restrictor plate racing takes nerves of steel! But last night they really did well.....Tony is right the money lap is at 160..... And to finish first you must first finish!
Danica drove a great race.....she was upfront and driving like she stole it!! Ryan had a great finish.....Wheels on the ground and a 10 th place finish probably felt like a win!
SHR has been working on cooling the internal temperature in the car for driver comfort... And if you noticed the other drivers in the media room were red faced, hot and tired....Tony wasn't. That is driver comfort, and during a race .....it is very important.....During practice and qualifying the temp on Tony's car was only 100 while the rest were 130-140.....Big difference.
Now we just need a little more speed! I am very happy with the way Steve and Tony are really working together and communication between has greatly improved! His car needed little if any adjustment last night.....GOOD TO GO!!!!!!

I #Support Smoke
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:00 pm

Tony asked for ice in baggies to put behind his straps. It must have been pretty hot in there. So, they may have been working on cooling the car..........but not quite there yet. ;)
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Matt Yocum interviewed someone from the pit crew about their new cooling system for the car during the first practice at Daytona..they showed the inside temp readings between Bif and Tony. The difference between Tony's car and Biffle's car was 25-30 degrees. But then, I heard the same thing on the scanner during the race about the ice packs and blower fans..Maybe the new system is still a work in progress........ :lol: :lol:

I #Support Smoke

Return to Tony