FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

<<

peanut1439

User avatar

Posts: 1253

Images: 0
180

Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:13 am

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

NASCAR Cage Matches: 10 Battles We Would Love to See
By Todd Jacobs (Featured Columnist) on March 30, 2011 561

Tony was #9

. Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

Rusty Jarrett/Getty Images Greg Stucker is the man that has to listen to Tony Stewart's comments when he shows his displeasure of the latest Goodyear tire.
Image


Stewart has calmed down since assuming ownership of Stewart Haas Racing, but he does let out an occasional grumbled comment regarding the Goodyear tire program when it comes to NASCAR.

If these two entered the cage it may be a toss up. Greg Stucker could take out years of frustration directed at Tony Stewart and his derogatory comments about Goodyear and Stewart could pound Stucker for all of the times he felt compromised by a blown Goodyear tire. I would make Stewart a -120 favorite in this match.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

wolfgang

User avatar

Posts: 2851

Images: 3
665

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:34 pm

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

Nascar can't let another tire co.compete against GY because they would probly make GY look bad as Hoosier did some years back. Nascar squeezed that company out by demanding a supply of tires Hoosier could not possably produce at that time.Drivers that weren't running up front were at the time who used Hoosiers.Nascar wanted Hoosier to produce enough tires for ALL teams at each race when only a small percentage were using them.The G159 steer tire,the worst tire ever produced from my experiance as a class 8 truck mechanic.Bought a car for my wife with GY tires on it,had to replace them because the car was all over the road in the rain.Bought a silverado and it has Wrangler tires on it,once they wear out[soon i suspect] right back to Michelins i go! Personally,i wouldn't put a GY tire on a bicycle! Thank you Tony for being honest!
<<

Smoke14TS

User avatar

Posts: 938

1107

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Location: Calhoun, GA

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:08 am

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

I know it's satire, but it's pretty ignorant satire. And y'all know me, I take jokes or criticism I deem well-placed about Tony probably better than anyone here, #### I do it in my cartoons even, but that just wasn't funny or creative to me. The Goodyear crap is all-too-predictable, and you can tell when you read it that the people haven't paid attention or done their research. Stewart has lauded Goodyear as many times as he's bashed them publicly. He's only trashed them when they've needed trashing, but people act like it's a weekly occurence.

I just get tired of people that try to act witty or cute while making it obvious that they don't pay attention.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Schmoopy1000

User avatar

Posts: 4135

915

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 am

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

the reason why Nascar quit allowing tire wars, was because the tire compaanies were making faster & faster tires (softer) to out perform the other brand. Which compromised the integretiy of the tire, creating a ton of blow outs. It was unsafe to have two tire companies in the sport.
ImageImageImage
<<

wolfgang

User avatar

Posts: 2851

Images: 3
665

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

Schmoopy1000 wrote:the reason why Nascar quit allowing tire wars, was because the tire compaanies were making faster & faster tires (softer) to out perform the other brand. Which compromised the integretiy of the tire, creating a ton of blow outs. It was unsafe to have two tire companies in the sport.

Honestly Schmoopy,you don't seriously believe that crap do you? Talked to the owner of Hoosier and i believe him over Nascar and their snowball effects.Nascar wanted Hoosier to supply enough tires to All teams whether they were using them or not for each and every race.Hoosier use to be employed by Firestone and i believe they have some sort of partnership in producing tires for Hoosier,but not sure about back then,i never asked.Mcreary race tires were used on the dirt series while Hoosier was in Nascar those two years.Bob McCreadie in the big block mods dominated those two years on the east coast,guess they worked better for him than others. Nice to have a choice i think.
Last edited by wolfgang on Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
<<

wolfgang

User avatar

Posts: 2851

Images: 3
665

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

Smoke14TS wrote:I know it's satire, but it's pretty ignorant satire. And y'all know me, I take jokes or criticism I deem well-placed about Tony probably better than anyone here, #### I do it in my cartoons even, but that just wasn't funny or creative to me. The Goodyear crap is all-too-predictable, and you can tell when you read it that the people haven't paid attention or done their research. Stewart has lauded Goodyear as many times as he's bashed them publicly. He's only trashed them when they've needed trashing, but people act like it's a weekly occurence.

I just get tired of people that try to act witty or cute while making it obvious that they don't pay attention.

Won't deny what you say is true because i've heard it from Tony on both sides as well.They[GY] could no longer compete in the IRL because Firestone made them look bad and it was costing GY too much money in research and developement,so they bailed.Just my personal opinion through years of experiance about GY is all i'm saying.Tony is at least honest,sometimes honesty can get you into trouble thou.
<<

Schmoopy1000

User avatar

Posts: 4135

915

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:45 pm

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

wolfgang wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:the reason why Nascar quit allowing tire wars, was because the tire compaanies were making faster & faster tires (softer) to out perform the other brand. Which compromised the integretiy of the tire, creating a ton of blow outs. It was unsafe to have two tire companies in the sport.

Honestly Schmoopy,you don't seriously believe that crap do you? Talked to the owner of Hoosier and i believe him over Nascar and their snowball effects.Nascar wanted Hoosier to supply enough tires to All teams whether they were using them or not for each and every race.Hoosier use to be employed by Firestone and i believe they have some sort of partnership in producing tires for Hoosier,but not sure about back then,i never asked.Mcreary race tires were used on the dirt series while Hoosier was in Nascar those two years.Bob McCreadie in the big block mods dominated those two years on the east coast,guess they worked better for him than others. Nice to have a choice i think.

What I do believe is the race when all the cars were plowing into the walls with blown tires, & one of the tire companies pulled all their tires & ran the other tire that race. So yes I do believe the tires were unsafe at that point. I also agree with you that you could have 2 tire companies if Nascvar had their own people involved making sure the tire was what it needs to be. Except Nascar wont do that, so there should only be one company. I dont care if it is good year, Hoosier, Firestone or whoever. Since Nascar is always asking for a certain type of tire nowadays, which is changing every year even for the same race track, competiton is moot. It isnt about which is the most durable, or the best grip, or anything in between. It is to whatever Nascar is asking for. So if you had to companies competing to be the best tire, they would not be able to go by what Nascar wants for that particular track, because that would be holding their technology back, & which company would want to hold back, when competing against another company. Neither would. So until Nascar changes their own policy, there is no need for another tire war.

& no I dont care for Good year one way or another.
In all the series I have dealt with locally, there are three basic brands used. American Racers, Good year, & Hoosier. None of the cars I have been on a pit crew has ever used Good Year. (Dirt or Pavement)

F-1 they could use a tire war, because that series is about Technology. Rally racing could use it because of so many levels of reasons.
Nascar not so much. Nascar is about controlling the tire compound & competition.
ImageImageImage
<<

Smoke14TS

User avatar

Posts: 938

1107

Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:09 pm

Location: Calhoun, GA

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:45 am

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

wolfgang wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:the reason why Nascar quit allowing tire wars, was because the tire compaanies were making faster & faster tires (softer) to out perform the other brand. Which compromised the integretiy of the tire, creating a ton of blow outs. It was unsafe to have two tire companies in the sport.

Honestly Schmoopy,you don't seriously believe that crap do you? Talked to the owner of Hoosier and i believe him over Nascar and their snowball effects.Nascar wanted Hoosier to supply enough tires to All teams whether they were using them or not for each and every race.Hoosier use to be employed by Firestone and i believe they have some sort of partnership in producing tires for Hoosier,but not sure about back then,i never asked.Mcreary race tires were used on the dirt series while Hoosier was in Nascar those two years.Bob McCreadie in the big block mods dominated those two years on the east coast,guess they worked better for him than others. Nice to have a choice i think.


Watching all the guys who blew right front tires and clobbered the wall that year, more often with Hoosier but Goodyear had plenty of failures too, I'm inclined to believe it.

Newton is right though, any tire maker has to make enough tires for everyone on the entry list so there is no chance for a tiremaker to only serve a handful of exclusive teams that'll pay a premium dollar for their tires.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

wolfgang

User avatar

Posts: 2851

Images: 3
665

Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Post Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:33 am

Re: Tony Stewart vs Goodyear Director of Racing Greg Stucker

Well,i have to be honest,i agree with both of you when all said and done.Loy Allen and Geoff Bodine had great luck with the Hoosiers,but i do remember blow outs from both sides during that time.The softer the compound the better the grip,but also the shorter life of a tire as we all know.Just one thing,you have to know the limits of the tire,every track and every driver is differant and i guess i just never cared for not having a choice.Least Dirt you have a choice in compounds, but they aren't doing over 180mph either.

Return to Tony

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

stewart haas logo footer



Terms of Use  |  Site Map  |  Privacy Policy  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us
COPYRIGHT © STEWART-HAAS RACING, LLC. All rights reserved.
Do not duplicate or redistribute in any form.
Approved by Tony Stewart & Gene Haas
PLEASE REPORT ANY PROBLEMS OR COMMENTS TO THE WEBMASTER