FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Matter of time?

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri May 24, 2013 10:28 pm

Re: Matter of time?

eve wrote:I thought this Dr. Who person was supposed to be some miracle worker that knew all about shocks and springs and front end problems. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't seen squat out of this person. If he is still on the payroll, he's getting paid too much. Engines and Chassis come from HMS. My point - competition meetings at HMS. If SHR would go, and I don't know that they aren't, maybe a conversation with their engineers would help the problem and maybe save some money.

I still think Steve is over his head and Zippy needs to do his job and step in. Tony needs someone on his pit box that says more that "10-4, take out a little air and put on 4 tires." Tony's car needs more than " 4 tires with a little air adjustment" and I'm not an engineer. Why doesn't Tony talk to Ryan. He has an automotive engineering degree from Purdue - his car is running better than Tony's. Maybe he can help - Steve sure isn't helping.

well jellikit shows an article in another thread where it says SHR hasn't really been going to the HMS meetings. But they can if they want. So I don't know whats up with that.
If Zippy goes to CCing then he isn't doing his job. You should quit expecting Zippy to become Tony's CC. Isnt gonna happen. Tony & Ryan talk all the time from the sounds of things. problem for Tony is he likes his cars set up way different than Ryan. Tony said that ryan & tony talk & Ryan basically has to explain what he means when he talks engineering talk. LOL then he also said that Tony will talk to Ryans CC & Ryan to Tony's CC. So I don't think there is any shortage of communication between Ryan & Tony within SHR. maybe they should send Ryan & Borland to the HMS meetings? Theres a thought.
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri May 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Annalee wrote:
eve wrote:I thought this Dr. Who person was supposed to be some miracle worker that knew all about shocks and springs and front end problems. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't seen squat out of this person. If he is still on the payroll, he's getting paid too much. Engines and Chassis come from HMS. My point - competition meetings at HMS. If SHR would go, and I don't know that they aren't, maybe a conversation with their engineers would help the problem and maybe save some money.

I still think Steve is over his head and Zippy needs to do his job and step in. Tony needs someone on his pit box that says more that "10-4, take out a little air and put on 4 tires." Tony's car needs more than " 4 tires with a little air adjustment" and I'm not an engineer. Why doesn't Tony talk to Ryan. He has an automotive engineering degree from Purdue - his car is running better than Tony's. Maybe he can help - Steve sure isn't helping.

EXACTLY..........!!!
The only thing I can ad is that I really don't think Ryan has found out anything with his car either, but he is doing better than Tony. They both have found out their driving styles and setups are totally different......they can't swap set ups and improve what they have. They have tried that.... :(

I so agree with you on dr who... And the 10-4 is getting to me too! My rose colored glasses are turning dark!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) It will be a long nite Sunday........... :( :( unless they find something in tomorrow's practice! Hope!

Hey annalee the only consisnt move I have seen help Ryan this year seems to be when they add a packer to Ryans car during the race his car comes to life. I watched on one of the racing shows Jack Roush explain how they need a cushion of air under the splitter for the cars to do well. I found the interview kinda interesting. Ryans car is always bouncing the splitter off the ground. I think maybe they are trying to be too precise with the front end splitter & getting it to low where it doesn't have that cushion of air under it. Which without that the car wont handle whether it is loose or tight.

Maybe I will just drop in on the next SHR meeting LOL :P
ImageImageImage
<<

eve

Post Fri May 24, 2013 10:54 pm

I understand about the cushion of air in the front. But, Ryan has complained in the past about the dangers of air under the car causing the possibility of it going airborne. I know that was the issue with the wing on the COT and the reason that Nascar went back to a spoiler.

I still think that a sit down with the engineers at HMS concerning the chassis would really help. I think they should talk to someone other than Chad . He would lie to them just to keep Tony from stopping JJ from getting another championship.

I think a job review for Dr. Who is in order as well. He certainly isn't making any difference in the performance of the cars. Tony hasn't forgotten how to drive. And it isn't because he is running dirt races. The car just won't do what he needs it to do and he hasn't had a good enough run to date to tell Steve what it needs. The set-up on the car is Steve's job, maybe a job review is in order there too.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri May 24, 2013 11:00 pm

Ryan was concerned with the car with the Wing when it got turned around backwards. Not when the car was going forward.
ImageImageImage
<<

eve

Post Sat May 25, 2013 3:38 am

There is an article in the USATODAY.com Nascar about Tony and Steve's issues. I don't know how to post it, but it is a good article. They interviewed Zippy and he discusses why Steve still has a job, for now.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sat May 25, 2013 3:52 am

eve wrote:There is an article in the USATODAY.com Nascar about Tony and Steve's issues. I don't know how to post it, but it is a good article. They interviewed Zippy and he discusses why Steve still has a job, for now.

USA Today-Stewart-Haas not blaming Steve Addington for struggles

...not sure about Zippy's last comment though... ;) ... :|
Last edited by smoke14rulez on Sat May 25, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

eve

Post Sat May 25, 2013 3:58 am

Thank you smoke14 rulz. I'm not real good with posting articles or pictures. I know what you mean about the last comment. We will see, I hope that Zippy knows something that we don't.
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sat May 25, 2013 4:09 am

eve wrote:Thank you smoke14 rulz. I'm not real good with posting articles or pictures. I know what you mean about the last comment. We will see, I hope that Zippy knows something that we don't.

I'm not, particularly, a fan of Addington's ...but, I think Zippy's got a point here. This issue IS mechanical...and, before it's rectified you can't properly judge the performance of ANY other part of the team, CC's, drivers(especially the rookie, regardless of what the biased think) until said issue is addressed.
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat May 25, 2013 4:11 am

it actually makes me wonder if they found something for Dover?
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Sat May 25, 2013 10:03 am

Rulez....I copied and pasted the article .........Thanks for posting.. ;)

(Photo: Kevin Liles, USA TODAY
Stewart sits in 21st, Newman 17th and Patrick 28th
Zipadelli doesn't believe they're giving good enough cars to Addington
Placing the blame on one person wouldn't be right, according to Zipadelli
CONCORD, N.C. — Everyone knows Tony Stewart's crew chief is in trouble. If you listen to the conventional wisdom in the garage, Steve Addington probably is going to be fired any day now.

In fact, with three-time champion Stewart sitting 21st in the standings, why hasn't he been fired already?

Maybe it's because Stewart's struggles aren't all Addington's fault.

"You're waiting for Steve Addington to get fired, but I don't honestly believe we're giving Steve Addington good enough cars to give our driver a chance to win," said Addington's boss, Stewart-Haas Racing competition director Greg Zipadelli. "I don't think it's fair to go mess with people's lives just because we don't have our (crap) together as a group."

FAN GUIDE: Need-to-know info about Sunday extravaganza

This has been a miserable season, and many other teams already would have made the crew chief the fall guy by this point. Someone has to take the blame, right?

But SHR isn't adopting that philosophy — not yet, anyway. Zipadelli, sitting in his motor home Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, told USA TODAY Sports that pointing the finger at one person would just be making a hollow change.

"It frustrates me that people say, 'You should do this, you should do that,'" Zipadelli said. "Well, why don't you come over and sit in my seat, sit in Steve Addington's seat, sit in (Ryan Newman crew chief) Matt Borland's seat. It's easy to pick up a pen and just bash somebody when they have no idea internally what's going on."

FIVE TO WATCH: Drivers that could win Coca-Cola 600

But it's also easy to see why people would think a change is needed: The entire organization is struggling. In addition to Stewart, Newman is 17th in the standings and rookie Danica Patrick is 28th.

To say the organization's start has been a letdown is a dramatic understatement.

"The biggest disappointment (of any team) is how badly the Stewart-Haas Racing cars ... are running," Fox analyst Darrell Waltrip said. "They are going nowhere, and quite honestly they don't seem to be all that concerned about it."

The team was off to a bad start before the season began. In the midst of adding a third car, it shuffled personnel and added new people but fell drastically behind by underestimating that process, Zipadelli said.

It didn't help that SHR was late to get many parts it needed to build the new Gen 6 cars. The team had to "beg, borrow and steal" to get some of the required pieces, Zipadelli said, and is only now starting to make the cars better.

"It became pretty clear, our weak area," Patrick said. "I think we were surprised. All of us understand we have to work hard to fix it and we have to admit what we need to fix."

Now, Zipadelli said, SHR is starting over. The problem is the season is one-third complete after Sunday.

HAMLIN OUT FRONT: Gibbs driver starts from pole position

"It's tough; it's frustrating; it's pretty humbling," he said. "We aren't making light of it."

Many would trace Stewart's decline in performance to the firing of crew chief Darian Grubb. In 2011, Stewart caught fire in the Chase for the Sprint Cup and won five out of 10 races en route to his third championship — but informed Grubb halfway through the title run that his services were no longer needed.

That didn't seem to be a huge deal when Stewart made the Chase last year with Addington, but this year's struggles have revived talk that SHR made a mistake.

Grubb, also a former Hendrick Motorsports employee, served as a key link between the teams — Hendrick is SHR's engine and chassis supplier. Zipadelli says the relationship with Hendrick remains strong.

"I saw them like this before, then they went and won a championship," said Jeff Gordon, who drives for Hendrick and indicated SHR drivers hadn't been part of the weekly team debriefs as often this year.

But time is running short if any SHR cars are going to make the Chase, which Zipadelli said was the furthest thing from anyone's mind. Recent test sessions (such as one at Dover International, where NASCAR races next week) could pay off.

Still, how long can it wait?

"There's a little light at the end of the tunnel," Zipadelli said. "I'm just hoping it's not a train."

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HTower

Post Sat May 25, 2013 12:12 pm

smoke14rulez wrote:
eve wrote:Thank you smoke14 rulz. I'm not real good with posting articles or pictures. I know what you mean about the last comment. We will see, I hope that Zippy knows something that we don't.

I'm not, particularly, a fan of Addington's ...but, I think Zippy's got a point here. This issue IS mechanical...and, before it's rectified you can't properly judge the performance of ANY other part of the team, CC's, drivers(especially the rookie, regardless of what the biased think) until said issue is addressed.

This depresses me. It would mean that whatever notes they have built up are worthless. It is a notes package of what to do with a crappy car. :(
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat May 25, 2013 1:58 pm

No big secret to Zippy's last comment. It's an age old saying :D
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 pm

"Dr Who" (Ronnie Crooks) is still with SHR. They showed him on SPEED last week (for about 2 seconds) in the garage area during practice for the All-Star race.

He reminds me of a 1960's hippie-looking type - shoulder-length gray hair. As far as his magic shock packages... :roll: they've lost some of their magic. This gen-6 car really has SHR confused.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Annalee

Post Sat May 25, 2013 8:59 pm

What I think is most telling, is the fact that they couldn't get parts for the Gen 6 car in the beginning........so they had nothing to work with Why??? Everyone else got parts....hmmm mm. :roll: That's one way to keep the competition where you want them, just hoard the parts :roll: !!

Dr. Who, is quite an interesting person......they say he is the best in the garage. Hope he can find the "missing link", what ever that maybe!!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat May 25, 2013 9:07 pm

Annalee wrote:What I think is most telling, is the fact that they couldn't get parts for the Gen 6 car in the beginning........so they had nothing to work with Why??? Everyone else got parts....hmmm mm. :roll: That's one way to keep the competition where you want them, just hoard the parts :roll: !!

Dr. Who, is quite an interesting person......they say he is the best in the garage. Hope he can find the "missing link", what ever that maybe!!

there was a shortage of parts for the gen 6 car for everyone at the beginning of the season.
ImageImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to Tony