FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Matter of time?

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu May 23, 2013 5:15 pm

Matter of time?

Anybody else just feel like the further we get into the year, the closer we are to them narrowing down what the issue is, fixing it, and getting at least the 14 and 39 running where they're supposed to be? I don't mean the tracks heating up and all of that, I just mean the engineers finally figure out what is going on after several weeks and get it going. I'm not expecting anything big for Charlotte and certainly not for Dover, but maybe soon. I think we're on the back side of this misery.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Annalee

Post Thu May 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Re: Matter of time?

Are you not watching practice??

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
<<

Smoke_14

Post Thu May 23, 2013 6:05 pm

I didnt see practice. How did it go
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Taskforce14

Post Thu May 23, 2013 6:40 pm

I honestly think this season is going to be a total loss. I hope that isn't the case but that's what I think will happen at this point. They don't seem any closer to finding anything.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Thu May 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Annalee wrote:Are you not watching practice??

No. I mean they're so bad that it seems it'd be more an "A-ha" moment instead of a gradual fix. I dunno. Maybe I'm deliriously positive. I'm usually delirious but the positive part is a new one.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

TishR

Post Thu May 23, 2013 8:59 pm

I am not expecting anything this weekend either. I know that normally in practice Tony is never that great because he works more on balance of the car so I never take practice very seriously with him but I just don't know anymore.

I am praying that they finally hit on something soon because this is just really getting frustrating to watch.
Tish
<<

Smoke_14

Post Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 pm

Just watched practice and qualifying. Yep, same issue on the 14. Like I posted last week. It's going to be a LONG 600 miles. And 400 miles at Dover.
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:11 pm

I watched practice and he started out terrible, but got into the top 20 by the end. Wasn't surprised by his qualifying, except that princess sparkle pony out qualified him. Ugh... Kudos to Ryan though. I believe he'll be the top SHR driver again this weekend.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Smoke_14

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:22 pm

To be fair Rochelle, his one run that got him into the top 20 was his only mock qualifying run. His race setup was just awful, couldn't even break into the 30's. But as I said it before, and I'll say it again, this will be a LONG 600 miles because you can't just show up at the track and fix a problem like this between practice sessions. The best they can hope for is to minimize the damage. I'm predicting by the end, he'll be a good 3-4 laps down, depending on the amount of cautions. High 20's, low 30's finish.

The issues the 14 team is having is of a design and engineering flaw. You can't fix something like that between now and the race. This is something that needs to be addressed in the shop, not the garage. I recall RCR had a similar issue with their cars about 3-4 years ago. They finally found the issue within the chassis design, fixed it, and then proceeded to improve. But these next two races, shocks are ESSENTIAL to running well, and right now, this 14 team, and all of SHR does not have the right front end shock package.

I think Pocono will be OK for them, and we could see them improve like how they did at Richmond. Michigan could be a struggle, but then Sonoma might be OK. Kentucky will be tough if they don't have it figured out by then, but then it's Daytona, New Hampshire, Indy, Pocono & Watkins Glen. Those 5 races could result in good finishes. So at this point, in the next 10 races or so, we could see improvements from the 14 and SHR just because there are not a bunch of high banked, 1.5 mile tracks. But still, they REALLY need to figure it out before then to have a shot of making the wild card. I could see them maybe getting some luck and winning Daytona, and possibly one of the road courses. Those two wins alone right there would have them in the running for a wild card. And with a favorable schedule, easily find themselves in the top 20 in points. But in no way are they going to make a run for anything until they get this issue figured out. There is still time, but I'm just warning everyone, don't expect it these next two weeks.
<<

HTower

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:53 pm

Maybe what it is going to take to right the ship is a miserable year and missing the chase. It seems to be working for kyle busch this year.
<<

dirt93

Post Thu May 23, 2013 11:18 pm

This is almost like he skipped a year after his championship to lose all the greatness.

In practice, Denny's car sparked in the corner, so maybe the team should lower the back end... ha
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

HRR

Post Fri May 24, 2013 6:56 am

Throw this season away... I don't see any changes until the off season. after listening to the on board radio communication this season.. this season..looks like his 2011 season... same issues not getting the car to hook up in the corners and being able to get on the throttle sooner, being the the front end is not getting into the track as it should .. and the back end seems to be snappy loose.

With this being said, remember 2011.. same issues at the same style tracks.. then.. when the chase started.. they found it to be an engineering issue with the nose of the car... maybe.. they need to look at 2011 notes.. and try to apply those changes to the chassis ... and see if they can get some balance to the car.

BTW.. Danica.. quals infront of her boss... that is just too funny!
<<

HTower

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 am

HRR wrote:Throw this season away... I don't see any changes until the off season. after listening to the on board radio communication this season.. this season..looks like his 2011 season... same issues not getting the car to hook up in the corners and being able to get on the throttle sooner, being the the front end is not getting into the track as it should .. and the back end seems to be snappy loose.

With this being said, remember 2011.. same issues at the same style tracks.. then.. when the chase started.. they found it to be an engineering issue with the nose of the car... maybe.. they need to look at 2011 notes.. and try to apply those changes to the chassis ... and see if they can get some balance to the car.

BTW.. Danica.. quals infront of her boss... that is just too funny!

Throw this part of the season away. Use the rest of it to build for the future. If that means trying much different setups and different strategies to prepare for next year, then so be it. Build for the future.
<<

eve

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:46 pm

I thought this Dr. Who person was supposed to be some miracle worker that knew all about shocks and springs and front end problems. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't seen squat out of this person. If he is still on the payroll, he's getting paid too much. Engines and Chassis come from HMS. My point - competition meetings at HMS. If SHR would go, and I don't know that they aren't, maybe a conversation with their engineers would help the problem and maybe save some money.

I still think Steve is over his head and Zippy needs to do his job and step in. Tony needs someone on his pit box that says more that "10-4, take out a little air and put on 4 tires." Tony's car needs more than " 4 tires with a little air adjustment" and I'm not an engineer. Why doesn't Tony talk to Ryan. He has an automotive engineering degree from Purdue - his car is running better than Tony's. Maybe he can help - Steve sure isn't helping.
<<

Annalee

Post Fri May 24, 2013 10:26 pm

eve wrote:I thought this Dr. Who person was supposed to be some miracle worker that knew all about shocks and springs and front end problems. I don't know about the rest of you, but I haven't seen squat out of this person. If he is still on the payroll, he's getting paid too much. Engines and Chassis come from HMS. My point - competition meetings at HMS. If SHR would go, and I don't know that they aren't, maybe a conversation with their engineers would help the problem and maybe save some money.

I still think Steve is over his head and Zippy needs to do his job and step in. Tony needs someone on his pit box that says more that "10-4, take out a little air and put on 4 tires." Tony's car needs more than " 4 tires with a little air adjustment" and I'm not an engineer. Why doesn't Tony talk to Ryan. He has an automotive engineering degree from Purdue - his car is running better than Tony's. Maybe he can help - Steve sure isn't helping.

EXACTLY..........!!!
The only thing I can ad is that I really don't think Ryan has found out anything with his car either, but he is doing better than Tony. They both have found out their driving styles and setups are totally different......they can't swap set ups and improve what they have. They have tried that.... :(

I so agree with you on dr who... And the 10-4 is getting to me too! My rose colored glasses are turning dark!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) It will be a long nite Sunday........... :( :( unless they find something in tomorrow's practice! Hope!

"Fight for Four".......................me
I # Support Smoke
Next

Return to Tony