FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony went to the back on purpose

<<

lmalley

Post Tue May 07, 2013 4:29 pm

Tony went to the back on purpose

Didn't get more than a mention, but Tony, though he qualified 26, dropped back to 43 to hang with Denny until they made the switch. After my initial shock, I thought that was an incredible thing to do. He was back up to 16th when the first big one hit, so I don't think it would have made a difference if he stayed where he was, but I thought his gesture of support was very cool.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue May 07, 2013 5:23 pm

Re: Tony went to the back on purpose

In the chat room we said it was a Denny cocoon, a Denny nest, and Denny the bubble boy. Regardless, what Tony did was selfless
Last edited by onerockindoc on Tue May 07, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 07, 2013 5:24 pm

<giggle> SMH
<<

ndunn

Post Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 pm

I read what Denny had to say about what Tony and several others did. It's nice to see this in such a large bunch of people wanting the same thing. We know how much racers do for the fans and other people but this was strictly for Denny. It was something he'll never forget.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 pm

This deal was made way before the race started...........it started when Denny joined JGR!! They were teammates..... :D
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Bel14

Post Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Annalee wrote:Image

This deal was made way before the race started...........it started when Denny joined JGR!! They were teammates..... :D

I am not sure they were really teammates at JGR. Reading articles from this past weekend Denny was quoted saying "Me and Tony for whatever reason, when we stopped becoming teammates, we started becoming teammates. We've been closer off the race track and on the race track now that he's with Stewart-Haas than ever when we were with Gibbs."
"Our race fans know more about my schedule than I know about my schedule...Race fans are a special breed of fan you do not see in other sports. They will ride the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows with you no matter what."
Tony Stewart
<<

Rachael J

Post Tue May 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Tony is a good guy! Great competitor and believes in respect for one another! Proud to be a fan. :D
#ISupportSmoke
#SmokeHasRisen
<<

dirt93

Post Tue May 07, 2013 11:51 pm

This is the reason I love Tony. He does some really nice things for people, some that most people don't even know about. I think he is just a super cool guy.... even though he does have times of being a bonehead. :) It makes Tony a real, normal guy. I don't think anyone could say he is fake. ha
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

im4tony

Post Wed May 08, 2013 8:10 am

dirt...couldn't say it any better than you did. You're right, he does things every day that the Nascar community doesn't know about.
"This is my house" Tony at the Glen
<<

ndunn

Post Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am

Tony has said over and over that he may not have made it into big time racing if it hadn't been for the family, their friends, town people and racers along the way. I think he knows in his soul that he must pay back what was given to him. He has done that and more. There is much more Tony is involved with that is done without publicity. I read an interview his mother gave about the Foundation aand it's surprising what he has donated to. Very generous man.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

eve

Post Thu May 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Tony did what a true champion does, help out his fellow racers. If you noticed, the ones in the back with Denny where Tony, JPM, a few others, but my point is they were racers with years of racing experience. Ones that know what it is to be hurt and want to get back into the car as quickly as possible. Also, mister 5 time was not to be found, funny that a 5 time champion doesn't know what being a champion is really all about. If it hadn't been for Kyle Busch's bonehead move, Tony was doing great after Denny got out of the car. Again, just like Daytona, Tony got caught up in someone else's mess. I feel hopeful about Darlington. Tony really wants to win here because of the history of the place in Nascar. As we know, he's all about the history of different tracks. Let's all hope that the snake bit part of the season is over.
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Somebody always makes a bonehead move, that's the nature of the beast. There's not a driver on the track that hasn't. And they all know they'll be caught up in something sometime. That's why no one gets too upset about it. Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Ryan's case was different, he's upset about cars continually landing on top of him, can't blame him for that.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

awsum14

Post Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 pm

I know why Tony went to the back with Denny... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He wanted to converse with Denny on the subject of payback on Joey so they didn't try it at the same race... :twisted: :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu May 09, 2013 9:30 pm

"Then" Tony got caught up in the big one so Denny wouldn't feel so bad to the points he lost when dumb #### took over the #11. :? Please,the chit is gettin' deep here,how often does Tony or any of them hang in the rear the begining of the race.Tony dropped back to babysit,that's fine,but it's really not all that big a deal.Real hero would have found someone to drive the #11 other than Vickers! :mrgreen:

Return to Tony