FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

See Tony Test @ Indy Today / Tomorrow

<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:08 pm

See Tony Test @ Indy Today / Tomorrow

Spectators can watch the test from the Hall of Fame Museum parking lot, the grandstand located inside the track near the museum and a small portion of the Turn 2 spectator mound. The rest of the latter is closed due to renovation and ADA upgrades that will be completed for next week’s opening of Indianapolis 500 practice.

The session will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. both days with an hour break for lunch sometime around noon.

Who'll be there:

Tony
Jeff Gordon
Brad Keselowski
Trevor Bayne
Mark Martin
Kurt Busch
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:43 pm

Re: See Tony Test @ Indy Today / Tomorrow

Well this test should be interesting.........Tony and Kurt!?! Maybe they have talked things out :lol: .....probably not!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

kim92164

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 pm

At least Joey's not testing or they would have to restart construction all over again, lol.
<<

eve

Post Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:39 pm

That could have gotten ugly with both Kurt & Joey there. I suggested that Tony needed to go home after Richmond, but I didn't mean to test. We all know how he loves to test. But at least he's in Indiana, maybe that will help.
<<

Shander

Post Wed May 01, 2013 8:27 am

I read that Jeff Gordon went 214 mph.... which is 32 mph faster than last years pole sitter. Wow!
"No Woman will ever be truly satisfied... because no man will ever have a chocolate penis that ejaculates money."
Be who you are and say what you feel... Because those that matter.. don't mind and those that mind... don't matter!!
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed May 01, 2013 8:46 am

Shander wrote:I read that Jeff Gordon went 214 mph.... which is 32 mph faster than last years pole sitter. Wow!

that cant be right. if it were they would be putting plates on the car. if the throttle stuck going into turn one or three could kill the driver, even with the safer barrier. remember the Indy corners are like Poconos turn two. it is like a 90 degree turn. That speed has to be a mistake. besides they don't have more horsepower for the straightaways, so how would they go 32 more mph.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed May 01, 2013 8:49 am

i dunno why people are dogging joe, he and tony were talking pr race last weekend and they were laffing, king tony has moved on from it.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:02 am

michaeljohn wrote:i dunno why people are dogging joe, he and tony were talking pr race last weekend and they were laffing, king tony has moved on from it.

I dunno MJ. Joey & Denny were laughing it up right before the race where Joey put him in the hospital.
Maybe the wily veteran (tony) is think keep your friends close & your enemies closer. :mrgreen:

I say tony is the veteran because it doesn't seem to matter how long Joey is a cup vet. he is always given the excuse of being a young guy. Like he is incapable of learning from experience until he hits a certain age or something. Joey "walking given excuses" Logano (aka. most overrated driver in nascar) Vs. Tony "wily veteran" Stewart (aka. The Grumpy old man)
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 am

oh I see what Shander is saying. You threw me off when you compared the speed to the Q speed. I thought you were saying the speed around the entire track was 214. That was their top speed on the back stretch not the avg speed.

heres one of the articles I found Shander was talking about.

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- NASCAR had the perfect combination for the start of Tuesday's tire test in Indianapolis.

Cool track, new tires, long straightaways and cars with grip.

It doesn't get any better than that , and they aren't likely go much faster than this, either. After Mark Martin wrote on Twitter that he had hit 212 mph in the backstretch during the morning session, a disbelieving Jeff Gordon walked over to his team to see what it had recorded.

''They said 214 and I said, 'My gosh, it really is fast,''' Gordon said.

To put the speeds in perspective, Denny Hamlin won last year's Brickyard 400 pole with a fast lap of 182.293 mph. Gordon said all the cars Tuesday were faster.

The incredibly quick speeds didn't last long when the temperatures warmed up and tires started wearing faster. And while nobody expects the cars to go anywhere close to these speeds in late July, everybody was encouraged by the early performance of the new Gen-6 cars on one of America's most historic, and tricky tracks.

''Like so many other tracks, this car adapts well, it sticks really well to the track,'' said Gordon, who has won all four of his Cup titles with Hendrick Motorsports. ''I'm pretty happy today because I think it went well.''

All of that is good news for a series that hasn't always had the smoothest races on Indy's 2.5-mile oval.

Tire wear had been an issue for years before the 2008 race turned into a caution-marred debacle of short sprints. Since then, Goodyear has come out with tire compounds that have worked better at Indy.

On Tuesday, Gordon and a handful of other drivers were asked to start the testing on a new more environmentally friendly tire. It worked spectacularly well under ideal conditions. The tires, Gordon said, did not respond nearly as well in the afternoon, and Trevor Bayne, who also tested, noted his speeds were down by about one full second per lap in the heat.

The bigger concern?

''You want balance so the car enters the turn comfortably and that's what we had,'' Gordon said. ''But it was definitely wearing a little more than we wanted it to.''

So drivers tested other tire compounds with mixed results.

The same drivers will return to the track Wednesday for another closed practice.

For some, like Gordon, the test gave him valuable information long before other drivers could take their new cars onto the track.

Others, like Bayne who drives for The Wood Brothers, was just happy to turn laps on a track he's not that familiar with.

''I had an opportunity to do this in '11, but unfortunately, I was in the hospital and Greg Biffle came out and tested for me,'' Bayne said. ''Last year, I came back and finished 16th and hopefully, I can come back and improve like that again this year.''

One way to solve the tire-wear issue would be cooler temperatures, and after the state legislature approved the Motorsports Initiative last week, there has been talk of installing lights.

Speedway officials will have access to a loan for up to $5 million for 20 years to complete capital improvement projects but have not said what they intend to do. The possibility of night racing at Indy is an idea Bayne and Gordon support.

''I'm game for night races because that's what I grew up doing,'' Bayne said. ''It would probably be better with the heat in July, so it would be a win all around for me.''

It might even help improve attendance, which has been on the decline, too.

But on Tuesday, most of the talk around Gasoline Alley was all about speed.

''We never stop competing do we?'' Gordon said.
ImageImageImage
<<

pooh219

Post Mon May 06, 2013 8:58 pm

I sure hope they install lights at IMS. After living in the desert dryness for 15 years, the heat + humidity in Indy are exhausting and I don't enjoy either the Indy 500 or the Brickyard 400 as much when I am miserable. I'm sure the heat is a reason that attendance is down. Besides, night races are a lot more exciting, I think!

Return to Tony