FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Is a "TOP TEN" to much to ask for?

<<

housesandhogans

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Re: Is a "TOP TEN" to much to ask for?

eve wrote:I listened to Tony's radio as always. He wasn't upbeat but not #### like last week. He sounded more resigned that they would not do well no matter what. Steve did listen when Tony told him the car was tight and Tony made suggestions as to what to do. It wasn't the same "o.k. 10-4" that usually comes out of Steve's mouth. Even the talking heads said that SHR needs to go back to attending the HMS competition meetings like they did when Darin was there. If the talking heads are saying this, maybe Tony can convince Zippy, Steve, Tony G. & Matt that they need to attend.

I listened too (for my first time) and was surprised at how quiet and almost "uninterested" they were. They're all so quiet, they're hard to hear. Not like the other teams I listened to, who were loud and clear.
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:28 pm

Tony's pit crew was spot on......they really did their part! Bob Tony's spotter was just trying to find spots for Tony to get into after he was passed by all the other cars. Other spotters look for other grooves to try and help their driver.... There isn't any communication between Steve and Tony...Tony says something and Steve says 10-4.. What worries me MOST is.. there is NO fight in Tony.........that fight is what got him to where he is!
There is no speed in the cars.....what makes speed? It's the engines....I still say they are not getting what they need from Hendricks! Whether it be technical, mechanical or whatever! Maybe they need to go directly to Chevrolet........ And get with their engineering department!?!
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:37 pm

The engines are there. The problem is utilizing those engines and transferring that power to the ground. It doesn't matter if you have a horsepower advantage when you can't get back to the throttle because the car won't turn.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:39 pm

To me it's the new shock package that they are working on. It's not working and they really need to abandon it. They debuted it a couple weeks ago and the 14 has been awful since.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Annalee, I guess that is what is a little bothersome............the no fight in Tony. I know as an owner and businessman he has to look at and do things a little differently than other drivers. But, I think you can be too politically correct too. Maybe shaking up the organization a little would be a good thing. I don't know. Wish any of us did so we could help him and all of SHR out! Would love to see him or Ryan be able to pass someone one of these days. ;) Will always be a fan and know it will get better. Also wish a person could see more of the dirt races on TV or the internet. I don't really care where he races.
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:09 pm

I wouldn't confuse the quietness on the radio to "no fight" within Tony. He in his older age doesn't get too fired up for long. I think he learned a long time ago screaming and yelling on the radio is not productive at the time. Staying calm and thinking clearly will help the situation. His along with the teams demeanor is what I want from a team, not some hot head yelling over the radio to "just fix it."
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:12 pm

I thought he and Steve were communicating today, which was better than what we had the past few weeks.

Honestly, this is a director of competition problem. Hello, they are NOT competing.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm telling u it's this new shock package they are developing. And that I would think would be from the DoC position. Something needs to change. I just hope Tony isn't afraid to pull the trigger.
<<

housesandhogans

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:31 pm

onerockindoc wrote:I thought he and Steve were communicating today, which was better than what we had the past few weeks.

Honestly, this is a director of competition problem. Hello, they are NOT competing.

True enough. Isn't that Zippy's title?
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:37 pm

It is......calling it as I see it.
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:46 pm

OBVIOUSLY.......A top 10 IS TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR!! :shock: 8-) :shock: :shock:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Bel14

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:24 pm

Smoke_14 wrote:To me it's the new shock package that they are working on. It's not working and they really need to abandon it. They debuted it a couple weeks ago and the 14 has been awful since.

I never gave a thought to the new shock package you could be on to something here. I also agree the communication was much better today.
"Our race fans know more about my schedule than I know about my schedule...Race fans are a special breed of fan you do not see in other sports. They will ride the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows with you no matter what."
Tony Stewart
<<

eve

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:01 pm

Maybe I was listening to another Tony today. He was quiet, communicating yes, but not the animated Tony I've been used to listening to for the past several years. The passion wasn't there today. There was talk of shocks - removing some packers - whether to take the time and Tony said to do it. I don't know if they did it, never heard another word about it. They fired 4 tires, made track bar and wedge adjustments all day. As did the 39 and 10.

He told the crew before the race that he would do the best he could with what he had. After the race he apologized for the poor showing. He sounded dejected and beaten. That is not Tony. I'd rather he rant than have him be this passive . As if it is his fault that the car won't work correctly. That's Steve's job and Zippy's to make sure that all 3 teams are competitive. The talking heads stated that if SHR could get the 14 fixed, the other 2 teams will fall in line. They even said that a personnel shake up may be what is needed. That is something we arm chair racers have been saying for weeks now. I hate it when the talking heads agree with me !!!!

Zippy needs to man up and find something else for Steve to do. Maybe he could crew chief for Joey when he loses his crew chief for 6 points races - kidding !!!! Seriously, Zippy needs to step in and find out what is going on and get back to the Tuesday competition meetings at HMS. Maybe Tony needs to be there as an owner, I don't know. But at least Zippy and the 3 crew chiefs need to be attending these meetings.

Oh, Happy Birthday Zippy !!!!!
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Yes Eve...I wondered about the packer thing as well. Never heard Steve tell the team to do it. When I said I thought they communicated I meant that he was neither snippy or pi$$y. By no means was he happy about his effort.

This IS a zippy problem. And as well a Tony problem because he is the man who is the boss of the man.

Crappy birthday. No gift for you
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:23 pm

I am not a mechanic, but this week and last week Tony kept talking out a "packer", don't know what it is, don't even know if I spelled it right, but Tony talked a lot about taking it out! I say if that is what Tony wants done, then do it.
I also think Doc maybe on to something with the director of competition.....things started going down hill quickly when they took Matt Borland out that job and gave Ryan back his old crew chief......that helped Ryan, but it hurt the overall competitiveness of SHR. Matt is an engineer and I think they need someone with that capability for that particular position.......Even Ryan works so hard to get to the top ten......then on the last few restarts, Ryan and Tony are sitting ducks, watching cars pass them left and right. And they can't do anything about it... :( if that is part of the shock pkg., then get rid of it. Dr WHO.... is suppose to be in the KNOW.... but it is time for Dr WHO, to figure out WHY this is not working....and come back with a correct shock WHEN he finds a solution.... WHAT a mess....... :(
I just didn't hear that much give and take between Tony and Steve! Problem solving really takes good communication skills ..........I heard mostly silence, 10-4 and Steve calling out lap times. To me Tony sounded so down......it was hard to listen to! When he did speak about the car being
tight, then a few minutes later it was loose, then it was sliding the nose....then it had a vibration, then the tires felt loose.......the splitter was hitting the pavement....there was so much wrong all the time , where do you start? :roll: :roll:

Welcome" housesandhogans"......Thanks for joining us! Misery loves company!

EVE....Just read your post....I nominate you to be Director of Competition......I'll be your assistant and they won't know what hit them....but I guarantee... they will be running much better!!
Last edited by Annalee on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
PreviousNext

Return to Tony