FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Think Tonys latest interview

<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Re: Think Tonys latest interview

There was never a conflict bettween Joey and Denny,i don't believe this would even be a subject right now.Good hard racing,Joey got into Denny because he couldn't keep the car down,Denny-well you be the judge.Tony is Tony and some things never change! :lol:
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm

There was something last season where Denny and Joey were taken into the JGR Trailer for a reason. I can't remember what or where...I have been looking at a JL memorabilia website and his signed stuff was at its peak in 2009, since that time it has dropped steadily. This season it is below $15.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

azk8ster

Post Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:44 pm

Finally, time to weigh in...been waiting for all the emotion to settle down a bit.

1) what I saw on the last lap was a replay of the Ricky Craven/Kurt Busch thrilling finish, beatin' and bangin' and both going for broke. I don't think either guy would've backed down if Jesus Christ Himself (or Dale, Sr) were in the other car. I just hate that Kyle drove right past and took the checkers.

2) Taskforce14, i don't understand why you think it's only OK to block at a plate race. These drivers are paid to WIN, not roll over and play dead. I think there's a rule against blocking in the IRL, but i don't think there is one in NASCAR, therefore, be like Nike and just do it!

3) as much as I love the heart-on-the-sleeve raw emotions displayed post-race, i'm starting to think that perhaps there should be some cooling-off time before interviews when there's obvious controversy. Tony behaved like a jacka$$, and while it's great for putting NASCAR at the top of the water-cooler talk list, glorifying the childish behavior serves no real purpose

4) anyone who truly believes that Joey said what he said knowing that Denny was hurt, well you, my friends, are complete and total idiots, morons, ignatzes, putzes, yutzes, knuckleheads, and dolts. Whoops, I just lowered myself to Tony's level, and for that, I apologize. Maybe you don't understand that the interviews we see on tv for the most part ARE NOT LIVE, and no driver (except quite probably the Busch brothers), even if they truly felt that hateful, would be stupid enough to say that they're glad someone else got hurt. Especially with how NASCAR's been trying to control what the drivers say with the come-to-the hauler talks and fines of late. By the time we see most interviews on TV, the drivers have (hopefully) showered, eaten, done the NY Times Sunday Crossword, and called their bank to see if the direct deposit of their race winnings had cleared...

5) really? Joey just crossed his arms and did the "I Dream of Jeannie" blink, and BAM! now he's a NASCAR driver? is that really how he got to be here? he didn't drive in other circuits and drive well in all of them? is THAT why Mark Martin backed him all the way? Look, we all know he got to Cup way too soon, and he's in no way, shape or form a championship-caliber driver...yet. Took Tony five years to get his first.

6) as for Tony's allegations that Joey is spoiled and got to where he is because his father bankrolled him there, I only have two words to say:
Paul Menard. I have NOTHING against Menard, I just wonder if Tony can see the irony of his words (especially seeing as he drove for Papa Mendard in the IRL!).

Oh shoot, it just occurred to me that I should've posted this on Friday, what with it being Good Friday and the focus of the day is crucifixion...well, GG, have at it, I'm here, hit me with your best shots!

And may all of you have a safe and joyous and Blessed Easter!
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

awsum14

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 am

Here's my take on the whole blocking situation.
Tony wasn't made at Joey for blocking, that's just racing.
He was pi$$ed at joey 'cuz he got a flat tire and it sent him to the back , instead of a top 5 finish.
Joey's front spliter was falling apart through the whole 2nd half of the race and leaving debrie all over the track and Nascar did nothing about it.
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 am

azk8ster wrote:Finally, time to weigh in...been waiting for all the emotion to settle down a bit.

6) as for Tony's allegations that Joey is spoiled and got to where he is because his father bankrolled him there, I only have two words to say:
Paul Menard. I have NOTHING against Menard, I just wonder if Tony can see the irony of his words (especially seeing as he drove for Papa Mendard in the IRL!).

Are you frickin kidding me? Stewart has made it plainly clear that he has no love lost on John Menard (nor do any of his fans) and had repeated incidents with Paul in 2007 in which he said similar things about Menard that he said about Logano Sunday. It wasn't until 2011 when Paul actually started to be able to run a full-distance race without screwing something or someone up that Stewart seemed to soften on him.

When Stewart was 15, he and his dad were struggling to keep up with the more wealthy enduro karting teams when they didn't have money for tires and had to use the ones the wealthier teams were throwing away. His parents had mortgaged their house so he could keep racing, and they divorced right around this time as well. He started running TQs for a local guy in Indiana, got enough of a reputation that he was able to get some USAC rides, but USAC drivers don't get rich now and they sure didn't then. He'd go to races with barely enough in the gas tank to get him there and hope he won enough at the track and sold enough t-shirts to get back home. He climbed the ranks on the merits of his own talent and the reputation he'd built, and it eventually paid off when he simultaneously arrived in the IRL and NASCAR and then really when he joined the Cup Series in 1999.

When Logano was 15, meanwhile, his path had been paved when he signed a development deal with Joe Gibbs Racing. He never had to worry about any of that stuff. He's had racing's equivalent of a silver spoon. It's easy to see why the veteran guys who had to work their way up and pay their dues resent him and drivers with similar "backgrounds." No, Logano isn't totally "at fault" or whatever, these team owners that sign these children - and that's what they are, children - are the real culprit, but he has shown little appreciation for the opportunity he got with much less blood, sweat, and tears than, for instance, Tony Stewart, Jimmie Johnson, Kasey Kahne, and yes, Denny Hamlin. He seems to act like he deserved it all along, and it's no wonder he is so disliked.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:21 pm

what he said Image
ImageImageImage
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Smoke14TS, there is no way I could have stated that any better or with as much detail. Well written
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 pm

awsum14 wrote:Here's my take on the whole blocking situation.
Tony wasn't made at Joey for blocking, that's just racing.
He was pi$$ed at joey 'cuz he got a flat tire and it sent him to the back , instead of a top 5 finish.
Joey's front spliter was falling apart through the whole 2nd half of the race and leaving debrie all over the track and Nascar did nothing about it.

Thank you awsum14 from the video's and stories plus comments to and for Tony is just the way it happened. One of espn's reporters mentioned the busted splinter and assumed that is what cut Tony's tire down. Why wasn't he black flagged to get that thing off? Oh well whatever I guess it's more fun to rip Tony and praise the someone who who hasn't paid his dues. Some of the nasty remarks are uncalled for and If I were him I'd shut this site down and put the money into the foundation. There are many who don't appreciate it. It is frustrating for those who do care.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

wolfgang

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:04 pm

BTW,congradulations to Kyle Busch! :lol:
<<

tlmerk

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Smoke14TS: It seems to me your post was all about why Smoke resents rich kids, but that doesn't make it right. That sounds like HIS issue and one he has to deal with. I personally think his seeming dislike for Joey comes from him taking over the 20 car but that is just my theory.

If someone's family is rich or poor shouldn't have anything to do with their "racing story." If Tony wants to carry a chip on his shoulder because his family had to scrap to make it with his racing, so what? There are people in this country who can't afford to pay their electric bills or buy their kids clothes and we're talking about buying tires for a kid's race car? I don't feel sorry for Smoke in the slightest and see his resentment against these kids as a flaw of his, albeit, a reasonable one. I personally don't care how wealthy Joey's family is or isn't. If he acts like a punk and has no respect for his peers, he's a punk IMO. But that just makes it easier for me to think he did wrong last week. My respect for Tony makes me forgive him his acting like an azz about something he, himself, did not too long ago and caused a bigger wreck than last week. But even though I love Tony and Joey annoys me, this is about racing. And my bias for Smoke doesn't mean I can't see when he's wrong.

This was just to add another perspective, not to say I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Combine Smoke14TS and and Awsum 14 and that is the whole story.........the piece of splitter that punctured Tony's tire was dragging from the front of JLo's car.......plus coming down pit lane and seeing Denny on the ground being put into the ambulance.....remember they were teammates and knowing how he would react.....that's Tony..... love it or not he settles his own disputes!

I'M TONY's #1 FAN.....AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!! ;)

Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:14 pm

tlmerk wrote:Smoke14TS: It seems to me your post was all about why Smoke resents rich kids, but that doesn't make it right. That sounds like HIS issue and one he has to deal with. I personally think his seeming dislike for Joey comes from him taking over the 20 car but that is just my theory.

If someone's family is rich or poor shouldn't have anything to do with their "racing story." If Tony wants to carry a chip on his shoulder because his family had to scrap to make it with his racing, so what? There are people in this country who can't afford to pay their electric bills or buy their kids clothes and we're talking about buying tires for a kid's race car? I don't feel sorry for Smoke in the slightest and see his resentment against these kids as a flaw of his, albeit, a reasonable one. I personally don't care how wealthy Joey's family is or isn't. If he acts like a punk and has no respect for his peers, he's a punk IMO. But that just makes it easier for me to think he did wrong last week. My respect for Tony makes me forgive him his acting like an azz about something he, himself, did not too long ago and caused a bigger wreck than last week. But even though I love Tony and Joey annoys me, this is about racing. And my bias for Smoke doesn't mean I can't see when he's wrong.

This was just to add another perspective, not to say I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote.

I have to disagree. If you ever raced against the rich spoiled never had to earn their types. They are a pain in the A$S. if Joey ever had to grow up struggling in the local series, I am willing to bet his attitude would be different at this level. Joey cant appreciate a lot of things because he will never know of them. Rich kid comments doesnt have to do with simple monatary Values. it is the attitude. So the part you dont like about Joey is what Tony is commenting on. There are some kids with more money in racing than others, but have to do the work themselves & arent catered too on the track, because their parents or whoever wanted them to know some humility of earning it, not having it handed to them. I have seen kids at our tracks be totally clueless to the racing society they were racing with, & I have seen kids that had money but understood the struggle, & would even get help from other teams in times of need during a race night, because they were just another driver. The spoiled Rich kid that never had to earn anything is a mentality that Tony speaks of. One that I totally get, & agree with Smoke about. (& I am not a smoke fan)
Not all rich kids have that mentality, but it is a common trait.
I have much more respect for that driver that makes it even with all these things blocking his way to success. They appreciate it more, than the kid that has his way paved to success & is clueless of those around him.
A rich kid I think will do well with humility. Ty Dillion. I think he was taught right & so far seems humble & thankful for being where he is. Not like Joey who believes it is owed to him. (I think Austin Dillion is gonna be one of those Smug $h!theads honestly)

It is a mentality, & so I believe you do agree with Smoke on joey's rich kid attitude, you just dont realize it.
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Annalee wrote:Combine Smoke14TS and and Awsum 14 and that is the whole story.........the piece of splitter that punctured Tony's tire was dragging from the front of JLo's car.......plus coming down pit lane and seeing Denny on the ground being put into the ambulance.....remember they were teammates and knowing how he would react.....that's Tony..... love it or not he settles his own disputes!

I'M TONY's #1 FAN.....AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!! ;)

Awesome pic Annalee :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 pm

TL - I hear what you're saying and agree.

Annalee - cute, cute pic! :-)

Schmoop - you know there's no whining in racing... LOL

A rich kid who is there but didn't earn his stripes ... is ( or should be ) just another factor that every racer has to take into consideration, as much as track and weather conditions.... a rival w/an agenda, a clueless newbie, a guy w/a piece of junk...

For a racer to say he didn't win, or couldn't win or couldn't do his best against ( fill in the blank - ie; rich kid w/no exp ) is just whining. LOL

Which, in my opinion, is what Tony was doing. Tony would have done the same, ( blocking ) has done the same and will do the same in the future. Kid pulled a good block and he lost. The rest was total, 100% poor sport & poor sportsmanship.... in my humble opinion. :-)

Still love him, still a fan ... just think he was wrong. In my op - he's been wrong before and will prob be wrong again, but that's what makes him real and makes me want to forgive him. :-)

p.s. Somewhere... there is a prior Anger Mgmt teacher with head in hand, saying "Tony, Tony, Tony...." ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am

According to an interview that was done by Tony he did not have anger Management. What he did instead was get the crew and others together and with Zippy in charge let them all at him. He said it wasn't easy and he was embarressed as much as he could be. So in the real world he threw himself under the bus. Apparently what was done in this situation was satisfactory with Joe Gibbs and Home Depot. As families that gave all and sacrified for their kids to race two were Brad K's and Jimmy Johnsons families. So there are those that didn't have a thing given to them and I can understand why they would be touchy once in awhile. There will always be the rich kids and then those that have dirt under their finger nails so who has the right to complain? Both do it's just how you do it. Same goes for opinions on here. Some hate every word that is posted and some praise it. That's why we have ammendments.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
PreviousNext

Return to Tony