FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

This is why I am a Tony Stewart fan...............

<<

Annalee

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 pm

This is why I am a Tony Stewart fan...............

My nephew who knows that I am such a fan of Tony's sent this to me........and this is why:

ORLANDO, Fla. — Channel 9 talked with a race fan who was struck by a tire that came off Kyle Larson's race car and into the stands during a Nationwide Series race at the Daytona International Speedway on Saturday.

Dan Germeroth, 56, of North Carolina, was grazed in the head by the tire.

"The only thought was, 'Oh, my gosh. It's going to hit us,' and it did," said Germeroth. "I was bleeding out of the top of my head. I was knocked out, unconscious."

Germerothwas rushed to Halifax Medical Center, where he received 12 stitches in his head.

But Germeroth's friends told him a teenager sitting behind him was seriously hurt, taking the brunt of the impact.

In all, 33 fans were hurt at the race. Seven are still being treated for traumatic injuries.

A tweet from a Tony Stewart fan thanked the driver for stopping by a hospital, saying his visit to her Michigan friends "really made a difference."

Police have not been able to provide WFTV with a detailed report of the accident, and the Daytona Speedway is refusing to release the names of the victims, only saying that they've met with them.

Everyone is expected to recover.
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

MyLadyWhiteWolf

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Re: This is why I am a Tony Stewart fan...............

That is AWESOME. It was on our local news this morning that one couple seriously hurt were from Michigan. He sure is a class act.
“I hate to say I'm growing up because it scares me to think I might be but maybe I'm starting to realize there are more things to life than driving a race car.” ~Tony Stewart
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:59 pm

I also found this from Marty smith on ESPN:::::

Latest On Daytona Crash

Marty Smith reports with the latest news on the Nationwide crash at Daytona.
Tags: Marty Smith, Daytona

Fans' Perspective On Crash
Tony Stewart visited six NASCAR fans who were injured Saturday during a horrific wreck on the last lap of the NASCAR Nationwide Series event at Daytona International Speedway.
Stewart was present at Halifax Health Medical Center Sunday after the Daytona 500 for more than two hours, according to a Stewart Haas Racing spokesman. He arrived at approximately 8 p.m. and stayed just past 10 p.m.

Stewart
Stewart did not want to be acknowledged for the deed, but when ESPN.com learned he had visited the injured fans, his team confirmed the visit with his blessing.

The three-time champion met with each patient individually, and interacted extensively with five of them. He gave each a personalized, autographed Bass Pro Shops No. 14 cap.

It was Stewart's decision alone to visit the fans, the spokesman said. He wanted to do it, and charged his team with coordinating logistics.

As he sped toward the checkered flag during the Nationwide race on Saturday, Stewart watched in his rearview mirror as Kyle Larson's No. 32 car went airborne, careening into the catch fence and spraying debris throughout the grandstands, injuring 28 people.

Stewart won the race, making it his seventh victory in the past nine years, tying him with Dale Earnhardt for most wins ever in that event at the track.

But in Victory Lane Stewart was somber, saying that he was happy to win but that all focus should rest on those injured in the grandstands.

"As much as we want to celebrate right now, and as much as this is a big deal to us, I'm more worried about the drivers and the fans that are in the stands right now," he said in Victory Lane. "Because that was ... I could see it all in my mirror, and it didn't look good from where I was at."

Of those injured, 14 were sent to area hospitals. Seven of those were sent to Halifax Health, and six of those remained there Sunday night. Those were the fans visited by Stewart.

Stewart was involved in an early-race accident in the Daytona 500 and finished 41st.

RECOMMEND402TWEET183COMMENTS4EMAILPRINTSUBSCRIBE

Marty Smith | email
NASCAR
FollowArchive
ESPN NASCAR lead reporter
Former NASCAR.com senior writer
15 years covering NASCAR
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 am

Agree with the title, this is a big part of it. It's very complex being a Stewart fan because of how mercurial he is, but you take the total package, the good with the bad, the shining moments with the blemishes and you know that at the end of the day the guy's heart is in the right place even if his head and mouth get discombobulated now and then.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

kim92164

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 am

I had a feeling that Tony would visit some of the injured. From what I could see during his interview you could tell he was very concerned. It looked to me as though he was holding back tears or had shed some tears, which I have no problem with after all he is human. WTG Tony, you are a class act. I'm proud to say that he's my favorite driver.
<<

t10ant

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:40 am

Kim92164....You said it perfectly, I thought the same thing myself .
<<

Taskforce14

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 am

I thought it was great that he met with the fans. Actually I'm surprised more drivers didn't visit the hospital. Maybe they did though and we just don't know it.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:40 pm

As we would say in the south, his momma raised him right. He certainly has empathy for others and is not the glory hound where some may be. Hats off to our man Tony!!
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

ndunn

Post Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm

I've always admired Tony for his passion for others. I'm so pleased with the postings today as it lets me know the lady and her husband I wrote about yesterday from Michigan got to see Tony. The husband is a true Tony fan but his wife is a true Jeff Gordon fan. With the sense of humor of hers it must be lively during race season. I didn't see an update regarding their recovery in their hometown newspaper but they have been given a stable condition since being critical when they arrived at Halifax Medical center.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

dirt93

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 am

This is why I love Smoke.... He really cares about people..... even though he can be cranky, that just shows he is a real person. Yay for Tony.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

ndunn

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:37 pm

Smoke14TS wrote:Agree with the title, this is a big part of it. It's very complex being a Stewart fan because of how mercurial he is, but you take the total package, the good with the bad, the shining moments with the blemishes and you know that at the end of the day the guy's heart is in the right place even if his head and mouth get discombobulated now and then.

I just had to post to you. I haven't heard the word discombobulated in decades. My aunt used that word a lot and she passed away 40 years ago. Seeing the word made me think about her and how wonderful a person she was. Thank you :D
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

tlmerk

Post Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

Taskforce14 wrote:I thought it was great that he met with the fans. Actually I'm surprised more drivers didn't visit the hospital. Maybe they did though and we just don't know it.

Yeah, I'd like to think other drivers did too.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:27 am

ndunn wrote:
Smoke14TS wrote:Agree with the title, this is a big part of it. It's very complex being a Stewart fan because of how mercurial he is, but you take the total package, the good with the bad, the shining moments with the blemishes and you know that at the end of the day the guy's heart is in the right place even if his head and mouth get discombobulated now and then.

I just had to post to you. I haven't heard the word discombobulated in decades. My aunt used that word a lot and she passed away 40 years ago. Seeing the word made me think about her and how wonderful a person she was. Thank you :D

You're quite welcome :)
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

#14smokefan

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 am

Tony is such a class act!!! You could tell in Victory Lane he was really holding back and keeing himself composed! He has such an awesome awareness of what is not only going on on the track but off the track as well. I remember watching a show about him many years ago and everything he does (philanthropic projects etc.) off the track. I wish I could remember that show but it was what made me a huge fan of his! It also helps that the guy can flat out race too! :D Go Tony!
<<

smokieonefour

Post Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:12 pm

Becket‏ becketmcginn
Tony Stewart is my new favorite driver. One of two who visited the hospital. It meant a lot to my brother and me.
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
Next

Return to Tony